PIF / Dirt Cheap Down Jackets / Vests
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jared Baker
(simply_light) - MLife

Locale: Midwest, US
Claimed/SOLD - PIF / JCPenney Down Jackets / Vests at cost + ship on 01/28/2013 11:07:27 MST Print View

ALL Jackets/Vests currently claimed/sold, however, I will keep my eye out for any more that pop up at JCP.

I figured I would post this for those BPLers who don't have access to a local JCPenney, in regards to the $14 Goose Down puffer jackets they had.

I picked up a few for myself and for some MYOG projects and got to thinking that I should share this with anyone else who would like a cheap down jacket. While I cannot afford to outright give them away, I would like to pass them on for exactly what they cost with shipping if anyone is interested.

The breakdown on cost(Shipping within US) is as follows:

Vest - $18.74
2XLT - $19.25
3XL or 3XLT - $19.25 w/o stuff sack or $21.08 w/stuff sack (stuff sack pushes weight over 13 ounces, so can't be shipped first class)

Here is how I arrived at the TOTAL = $14 + .98(Indiana Sales Tax) + .50(mailing label & Poly mailing envelope) + Shipping(vest = 3.26, jacket = 3.77)

I do better with PMs, so you can PM me if you want one. I will update this thread accordingly as ones claim them. I will strive to respond quickly and ship these out the same day/next day on all of these.

Sizes/Colors available:

Vests

Jackets

Picture for color reference:Color Reference Pic

Edited by simply_light on 02/07/2013 12:49:39 MST.

Jared Baker
(simply_light) - MLife

Numbers Updated on 01/28/2013 15:33:08 MST Print View

Updated with new numbers 5:30 PM EST 1/28/13

Updated at 7:36 EST PM 1/28/13

Numbers updated at 10:55 EST PM 1/28/13

List up-to-date as of 12:15 AM EST 1/29/13

Edited by simply_light on 01/28/2013 22:19:16 MST.

steve whelehon
(hwy395lvr) - F

Locale: So.Cal.
JCP on 01/28/2013 17:09:55 MST Print View

...PM sent

Martin Van Laarhoven
(vtrek)

Locale: NorthEast
jcp jackets on 01/28/2013 19:48:30 MST Print View

I don't need any jackets (just bought too many myself) but it is cool of you to make the offer to others. If anyone is thinking of taking him up on the offer they are very decent jackets and a steal at the price.

Ken Hawkins
(Mushroom_Mouse) - M

Locale: Shenandoah Valley, VA - USA
L Orange Vest on 01/28/2013 19:56:09 MST Print View

PM Sent.

Jared Baker
(simply_light) - MLife

Too many? on 01/28/2013 21:06:04 MST Print View

Martin,

Thanks. Although I don't know if the words "too many" belong in a BPLers vocabulary, I understand the plight.

steve whelehon
(hwy395lvr) - F

Locale: So.Cal.
2XLT black jacket on 01/28/2013 22:07:45 MST Print View

...2nd PM sent

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
Kermit the frog green? on 01/28/2013 22:40:47 MST Print View

(1) XLT Green

Interested in this one but could you tell me how green it is? Are we talking tennis ball, unripe banana or watermelon green? :)

Jared Baker
(simply_light) - MLife

Picture Posted with Colors on 01/29/2013 04:34:30 MST Print View

Daniel, not too far off on the Kermit the Frog green, you have dibs on the green until I hear otherwise.

I posted a pic of the colors and the green in the pic is pretty true to color.

Edited by simply_light on 01/29/2013 07:18:20 MST.

Jared Baker
(simply_light) - MLife

Update on 01/29/2013 07:21:46 MST Print View

Just dropped off 6 outgoing at the post office.

I decided to upgrade the packaging on these shipments, as I was a little fearful of the poly mailing envelopes would not be enough to protect them in an "accident". So, they will all be shipped out either in a box, a padded mailing envelope, or be double bagged to protect them.

Also, some of these will be very close to 13 oz. We know how inconsistent the post office can be in everything they do (they probably don't use scales as accurate as ours), so if for some reason the Post Office is saying that there is more postage due, PLEASE let me know. I will refund that amount to you.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: PIF / JCPenney Down Jackets / Vests at cost + ship on 01/29/2013 12:54:13 MST Print View

I could do a similar offer as Jared if he runs out of a size you want. I did not happen to notice vests at my store but didn't look real hard either. They had maybe 10 jackets left in 2XL and 3XL (incl T options) in blue, green & orange. If for some reason you want one to wear in a smaller size, they also had S-XL but those were $20, not $14 so it would be another $6.50 or so, but I also prefer to ship Priority Mail so my cost would be $6 for that most likely.

They claim to be 650 fill. They're pretty thin but seem well made. The only thing I can compare to is a New Balance Fugu and these obviously are nowhere near as warm.

Velimir Kemec
(velimirkemec) - F
Cost to ship internationaly on 01/29/2013 13:19:27 MST Print View

Hi guys,
much appreciate your kind gesture. Does any of you know how much
would it cost to ship the jackets internationaly (EU)? I am bit puzzled with
so many USPS options but "dirty" cheap first class option could work for
most here in EU. Thanks!

Regards,
Velimir

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
Cheers Jared on 01/29/2013 13:27:28 MST Print View

Jared, I'm bitter that I paid $10 more for a bunch of these so I'm going to tuck in my tail and not spend anymore money. I'll let the rest of my vulture buddies hover down on this one!
Curiously, does anyone know an estimated amount of how much down is in one of these? Under 2oz most likely.

Edited by Superfluous_Grizzly on 03/26/2013 22:01:32 MDT.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Re: Cost to ship internationaly on 01/29/2013 14:04:06 MST Print View

Velimir,
It varies by country (sometimes by a lot). I just randomly picked Poland and the first class shipping cost is a little over $15 US if done online. Anything else would not be worth it.

Edit: I see you're in Slovenia. Same price as long as total weight doesn't exceed 16 oz.

Edited by topshot on 01/29/2013 14:14:00 MST.

Jared Baker
(simply_light) - MLife

Re: Fill Weight & Cost to Ship Internationally on 01/29/2013 14:09:26 MST Print View

Daniel,

You are probably right on the fill weight. It is comparable to my Montbell Ultralight which has a fill weight of 2 oz.

Velimir,

International would probably be around $15 depending on country and total weight. I sent a PM with more info.

Velimir Kemec
(velimirkemec) - F
International shipping on 01/29/2013 23:25:11 MST Print View

Hi,
thanks Michael and Jared. Really appreciate it. I contacted few
others on this of Atlantic if they might be interested in
the jacket so we could share the shipping costs and I'll
let you guys know asap. BTW if you would like anything from EU
just give me a shout (but I hardly doubt it, just look at where our
economy is heading:)..

Much Obliged!

Terry Hoover
(thoover1968) - M

Locale: Texas
Thanks! on 01/31/2013 20:10:06 MST Print View

Just a public thank you for sharing these, Jared. The jacket and vest I received today will work perfect for me. Terry

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Re: PIF / JCPenney Down Jackets / Vests at cost + ship on 02/22/2013 19:15:31 MST Print View

I checked my store tonight and they still have several of these. Sounds like Jared may be out.