Forum Index » Website & Forum Admin/Support » Where's Hendrik?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Hendrik says bla bla on 07/20/2013 07:12:31 MDT Print View

Keep up the good fight Martin. That total BS. My, how my opinion of Hendrik sure is deteriorating.

More reading...

http://alansloman.blogspot.com/2012/03/hendrik-morkels-theoretical-backpacking.html

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=67789

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=70423&disable_pagination=1

http://hashendrikfinishedatozyet.com/

Edited by kthompson on 07/20/2013 07:29:27 MDT.

Danny Milks
(dannymilks) - MLife

Locale: Sierras
ULAZ on 07/20/2013 23:10:55 MDT Print View

To be honest, I didn't even know that the series continued after the first video "A". Of course I knew that was the intention, but I never saw it advertised on BPL for subsequent articles so I figured it was another BPL thing that got started but never finished. And that's partially true - only 1/3 of the videos have been published to date. I do find it odd that the videos that have been published aren't easily found, as if BPL doesn't want to advertise the fact that these are long over due.

However, I see the responsibility for this squarely on Hendrik's shoulders, as BPL just helped him finance and publicize his efforts. If Hendrik has taken advantage of Ryan (and by relation, us MLifers) and Kickstarter supporters, Hendrik should be held responsible.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: ULAZ on 07/21/2013 02:09:55 MDT Print View

Well,

Almost 90% of Kickstarter projects do not meet the promised delivery date.

I figured this out the first time I saw the Kickstarter site.

Hendrik is just a little later than most.

Edited to fix typo.

Edited by ngatel on 07/21/2013 02:37:17 MDT.

Martin Rye
(rye1966) - F

Locale: UK
Re: Re: ULAZ on 07/21/2013 02:40:55 MDT Print View

There is being late and then in Hendrik's case come the 31st of July he would have had the money 2 years.

It's beyond a joke, or acceptable.

Hendrick again

As a backer of this I apologise to the Members of BPL that you got your hopes up and have had delivered so little. Even worse there is 10 episodes made and you have no access now to them and only had eight. Yet Hendrik says nothing in support of the members here and we can all work out our own conclusions to that.

Meanwhile he is out and about tweeting photos of new expensive kit and telling the world all about it. He ignores the questions here, gets the ones on the German forum censured and on Twitter refused to answer questions.

Says it all.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Re: Re: Re: ULAZ on 07/21/2013 07:22:10 MDT Print View

My mother would call him a petulant child with his carry on.

Edited by stephenm on 07/21/2013 07:25:36 MDT.

Martin Rye
(rye1966) - F

Even more open for you to see on 07/21/2013 07:22:53 MDT Print View

More open asking for funds from a man who fails to deliver on funding commitments:

farhttps://holvi.com/shop/hikinginfinland/

This link is beyond belief as Hendrik comments on another Kickstarter project where again they take the money and then don't deliver.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/Money-For-Nothing.html?page=all

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Even more open for you to see on 07/21/2013 07:50:43 MDT Print View

"PBS director of content development Matt Graham, who signed on with Badenoch for the Web series that never materialized, doesn’t regret his decision. “He has a great personality,” says Graham...Graham harbors no ill will over the outcome, and he continues to scout through Kickstarter. But he plans to vet candidates more closely."

Great personality? Did the man even look at Badenoch's websites? He is a narcissistic evo-psych paleo-nut with a "vision." Charlatan is too kind a word.

Hendrik should give the money back. He has proven himself a fraud and an embarrassment. Or would-be embarrassment, had he any shame. Buy me a coffee? Buy me a lunch? Buy me a plane ticket so I can hike for free? Seriously?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: ULAZ on 07/21/2013 07:52:25 MDT Print View

"My mother would call him a petulant child with his carry on."

My mother would call him a thief and a liar. Then she would spank him with a wooden mixing spoon. Or possibly an open handed slap in the face. This is a serious enough offense on her scale for that. Intermixed with guilt for good measure.

Ah the good ole days.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: ULAZ on 07/21/2013 08:32:17 MDT Print View

I was not even talking about his project, more so the way behaves online at times.

Yep, the good old wooden spoon :-)

Edited by stephenm on 07/21/2013 08:34:02 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: ULAZ on 07/21/2013 08:34:43 MDT Print View

Well there you have it then. It's settled. He's a douchebag.

Martin Rye
(rye1966) - F

Re: Re: ULAZ on 07/21/2013 10:00:29 MDT Print View

I also note he claims still to be a Gossamer Gear Trail Ambassador http://hikinginfinland.com/about/ but looking at the GG site they don't have him listed now.

Maybe they thought he was not a good connection. Other outdoor brands would do well to consider their relationship with him based on the stuff that is coming out about him.

Honesty, integrity are key business values. Association with people who are now in question for their apparent lack of integrity seems to me to be poor public image management.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: ULAZ on 07/21/2013 10:13:24 MDT Print View

"It's beyond a joke, or acceptable"

Correct. But what else can be done? It has been two years. Joking is the only way to relieve the pain for those who gave their hard earned money. And I would guess, as a percentage, BPL members were a large portion of the donation pool. Even if the project is completed by the end of August, I wonder if there will be any quality in them.

When I first looked at the crowd-funding model, the things that have happened with this project are exactly what I anticipated would be the norm.

Unfortunately, it leaves a bad taste and makes it difficult for people like Terry Abram, who delivered on time and exceeded expectations, to utilize this avenue for projects. Also, it must hurt folks and their reputations who recommend these projects and never thought the person would not deliver.

I really liked the title of my blog post that I linked to earlier in this thread, "Kickstarter, or Brother Can You Spare a Dime?"

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: ULAZ on 07/21/2013 10:26:55 MDT Print View

I tried contacting Hendrik and received an email back this morning....

Hei,

thank you for contacting me. I'm unable to answer my Emails until the 12th of August.

Happy trails,

/hendrik

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: ULAZ on 07/21/2013 10:49:13 MDT Print View

http://hashendrikfinishedatozyet.com/

That made me laugh Ken :-)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: ULAZ on 07/21/2013 11:07:45 MDT Print View

Martin,

I just spotted that outside online article you commuted on.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Crowd sourcing on 07/21/2013 11:09:09 MDT Print View

Yes nick, we all know you hate crowd sourced funding. You are a broken record on the subject. The topic never comes up without you pointing out the stat that 87 percent are delivered late.

Never mind the problem with stats.....lets just drill that home ad nauseum.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Crowd sourcing on 07/21/2013 12:37:46 MDT Print View

Well doing something over and over and expecting a different result is...

;)

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: ULAZ on 07/21/2013 13:05:17 MDT Print View

I just received a second email...

I'm very sorry that it takes me so long to complete the series. The T-Shirt comes next month (will send an Email via Kickstarter then), the DVD when the series is complete. Updates by the end of this month, too.

However, I completely understand if you're not happy about this and would like your money back. I can offer you a full reimbursement (via PayPal), you could then continue to watch the series updates in Full HD as they come out but there wouldn't be a T-Shirt or DVD. If this is something you'd like, please let me know your PayPal address and I will see that you get your money during next week.

Again, I'm very sorry that I have made you wait. I underestimated the scope of the project and the time a baby and building a house takes. Please accept my apology.

Kind Regards,

/hendrik

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Crowd sourcing on 07/21/2013 13:23:17 MDT Print View

"Well doing something over and over and expecting a different result is..."

My life on Match.com?

Martin Rye
(rye1966) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: ULAZ on 07/21/2013 13:42:01 MDT Print View

Nick Terry asked me to say thanks for the support of the effort he had to put in to deliver the film as promised.

I for one don't accept the excuses Hendrik claims. Many of us in the same time period balanced busy jobs, growing families and building extensions to our homes. We know what we have and are committing too.

So for him to claim that as justification is poor, as he in fact had asked funding to pay for his work time to make the film. So this is not an acceptable excuse. His time was factored in and funded.

He also has been outdoors many times, bought lots new gear and tried other outdoor disciplines (cycling, climbing) in the time since funded to film the A-Z. Shows to me a lack of commitment and focus in the promises he made. Integrity would you assume drive you to put it right, and not get more outdoor kit and ignore the films.

Compare that to Terry who went filming, did nothing else as he felt honour bound to deliver.

Or Dave Collins who was funded $10,000 to make the Clever Hiker films and delivered as promised. Again he asked for the time to film to be funded and then got on with it.