Forum Index » Website & Forum Admin/Support » Where's Hendrik?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Where is Hendrik? on 05/02/2013 22:29:01 MDT Print View

One can only hope.

Any bets on whether or not BPL will post a link to them on the Home page?

Just in case they do not, here it is:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ULAZ.html

Edited by wandering_bob on 05/02/2013 22:33:39 MDT.

Benjamin Moryson
(hrXXL) - MLife

Locale: Germany
ULAZ on 05/05/2013 20:03:29 MDT Print View

I think Ryan Jordan is very busy at the moment with his kickstarer prjects and he will upload the new videos as soon as possible.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: ULAZ on 05/05/2013 21:31:40 MDT Print View

Prior paid commitments generally take precedence over new projects, especially if you desire to keep getting paid for your efforts by the same community. Fool me once, fool me twice, etc...

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: ULAZ on 05/05/2013 21:39:17 MDT Print View

"fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me (long pause unsuccessfully trying to remember the saying) you can't get fooled again."

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Where is Hendrik? on 07/07/2013 08:13:05 MDT Print View

So two months after the last two episodes were completed they still are not link to BPL. What gives?

...and Hendrik, Where may we see the production schedule you talked about?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Where is Hendrik? on 07/07/2013 08:43:41 MDT Print View

Maybe be went out for milk and got lost.

b willi jones
(mrjones) - F

Locale: best place in the world !?
Re: Re: Where is Hendrik? on 07/07/2013 13:44:34 MDT Print View

i think he is too busy out climbing pebbles with all that new gear you guys helped him buy

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Where is Hendrik? on 07/07/2013 14:00:33 MDT Print View

I bought my BPL membership before the promise of UL A to Z, so I have no complaint.

I didn't donate to the Kickstarter project, so I have no complaint.

There are more pressing issues in the world, such as what pencil to take on the JMT, so I have no complaint.

Time for everyone to take a break and do some serious hiking this summer. When your summer hiking is over, you won't need UL A to Z, and you won't have any complaint -- unless you gave Hendrik money. But one may want to consider...

"A fool and his money is soon parted"

- Thomas Tusser

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Where is Hendrik? on 07/07/2013 14:17:57 MDT Print View

I supported two projects on Kickstarter. The Backcountry Boiler and ULAZ. Never again.

I'm complaining.

I got an MLife subscription early in their availability. I've complained about that fiasco too.

I've learned a lesson. Fortunately it did not cost me as much as some.

I do feel somewhat foolish.

Hopefully someone can benefit from my errors in judgment.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Locale: Cascadia
ruffled on 07/07/2013 14:29:37 MDT Print View

Is Kickstarter kind of like buying a raffle ticket? Is it the new raffle ticket?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Where is Hendrik? on 07/07/2013 14:31:08 MDT Print View

If you give money to ULAZ or whatever, best to just write it off immediately in your head. Maybe something will come of it, maybe not. Hendrick seems like a nice guy, maybe over his head or some life event happened, or maybe he's just a scamster, doesn't really matter.

That's a pretty cheap lesson if you now think you wouldn't do that again.

You're probably just venting and not worrying about it, but if you're anguishing over it, you're just compounding the problem, but you're doing that to yourself, don't blame it on Hendrick.

If it is a scamster, or the guy that ripped off Nick, those people are miserable people because they're always worrying about getting caught. And their world view is that people are always ripping each other off so they're always worried someone will rip them off.

Be happy. Go for a hike. Listen to the wind and the birds...

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: ruffled on 07/07/2013 14:42:39 MDT Print View

"Is Kickstarter kind of like buying a raffle ticket? Is it the new raffle ticket?"

Don't you have a chance in getting something from a raffle ticket?

Dan, you are too old fashioned. You want to make money the old fashioned way -- you want to earn it. Shame on you.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Where is UAZ on 07/07/2013 14:43:39 MDT Print View

Hey Jerry,
It's just sad that it looks like project is, well I won't say dead, let's say just floating in the water. No propulsion. It was a good idea at the time. I do see now that there is another series produced that is similar in scope. Pay to watch content, pass.

It's a beautiful day here. Birds and all. I'm trapped at the house working on the honey-do list and like to watch some informative or entertaining stuff on the tube while taking a work break, waiting for laundry, etc..

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Where is UAZ on 07/07/2013 16:54:11 MDT Print View

"I do see now that there is another series produced that is similar in scope. Pay to watch content, pass."

Ahhh - lesson learned : )

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Where is UAZ on 07/07/2013 16:57:48 MDT Print View

Another business model would be to allow people to see the content, maybe just part of it, then ask for donation

Martin Rye
(rye1966) - F

Locale: UK
Re: Re: Re: Where is Hendrik? on 07/08/2013 14:21:05 MDT Print View

I find the idea that Hendrik is a nice guy unproven. What is proven is that he has attacked people online without reason, called Americans stupid and number 1 in starting wars and stupidity. Nice guys don't do that.

Point is, he asked for $10,000 and used a contact in the USA as he could not use Kickstarter in Finland, as it's not allowed under Finnish law.

He promised a time line to complete, then said his time was being paid and he would deliver.

It's now over 16 months behind, has about the same in missing episodes and no open accountable explanation.

If he had applied in the UK for a grant, the award body would ask for the funds back as he failed in his goal. He also would suffer a loss of reputation.

If he had a contract he would suffer damages and again, loss of reputation. Yet he takes the money, fails to deliver, and some dismiss this after he states he was being paid for his time to film. He budgeted in the time and asked to be paid.

For me that's not acceptable, nor something to dismiss and move on from. He has damaged the trust of the online backpacking community that showed him trust and believed him.

Ryan Jordan, when challenged, I have found, gives an account and answers the questions put to him on twitter - for example - every time. He leads by example and Hendrik should do the same. My respect for Ryan has grown from seeing his openness, grace and willingness to answer the hard questions on his Kickstarter appeal.

Hendrik should do a public update.

Should open up the accounts on what has been spent on filming so far and on what items were needed for it.

Should explain the claim it would be better than YouTube when it is clearly not (out of focus, poor editing and filming)

Should explain why he has failed to get it made in the time frame, with plausible and believable reasons, after he had costed out the making of the A-Z. After all he has been making gear videos before this and editing them etc.

Martin Rye
(rye1966) - F

Hendrik says 31st August. on 07/19/2013 16:22:42 MDT Print View

Hendriks new claim

Just a little update for you all here.

Full page is here https://holvi.com/shop/hikinginfinland/product/57f15e0374e386097baf703f107c09dd/ so 31st August is the plan.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Hendrik says 31st August. on 07/19/2013 18:19:34 MDT Print View

Interesting. Wonder if we'll ever see it here on BPL. To date, only 8 episodes (A,B,C,E,F,G,H, and K) have been posted to BPL, and as stated earlier, there isn't even a link to the series anymore. Here is the BPL series URL - it is still active but the link no longer displayed on the site.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ULAZ.html

26 minus 8 leaves 16 episodes, and he expects to finish by the end of next month?

Maybe that's only for his subscribers (see Hiking in Finland link in the previous post).

I suspect we at BPL are totally out of luck. Well, at least we can't blame Ryan for this one.

m

Edited by wandering_bob on 07/19/2013 18:22:25 MDT.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Hendrik says 31st August. on 07/19/2013 20:27:08 MDT Print View

That makes me wonder...

Martin Rye
(rye1966) - F

Re: Hendrik says 31st August. on 07/20/2013 01:29:58 MDT Print View

It's of note that this thread http://www.ultraleicht-trekking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1119&start=10 (in German) mentioned the comments I have left here. I have been informed that Hendrik took exception and some comments have been edited by the forum moderators.

Some people have commented I had no right to question. Well free speech, and a backer allows me They also try to deflect attention away from the points raised here. Classic diversion tactics to avoid scrutiny of the issue in question. So Hendrik again has more questions to answer: like did he try to have a forum post stopped as it linked to this thread here.?

Edited by rye1966 on 07/20/2013 05:14:19 MDT.