Switching Nylon Mesh to Nanoseeum?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Switching Nylon Mesh to Nanoseeum? on 04/11/2007 22:36:07 MDT Print View

The inner tent of my Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 SL is primarily "20D nylon mesh" and weighs 18oz.

I am wondering how much weight I can expect to save if I replace it with nanoseeum netting? Also, how fragile is nanoseeum compared to noseeum? I am thinking that the fly will protect the inner from most of the winds... but want to be sure the nanoseeum won't tear easily. Your insights appreciated.

Edited by ben2world on 04/11/2007 22:37:49 MDT.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Switching Nylon Mesh to Nanoseeum? on 04/11/2007 23:15:49 MDT Print View

32% or about 5.76 ounces.

"Nanoseeumâ„¢ is 32% lighter than standard noseeum"

That is if the stuff now used weighs about the same as noseeum. Best answer would come from Thru-Hiker.com. I expect he would say go for it.

Edited by bfornshell on 04/11/2007 23:20:05 MDT.

Brian Kelly
(bkelly) - F
Not quite 32% on 04/12/2007 07:42:11 MDT Print View

The screen on the Seedhouse SL series is pretty light to begin with, so it probably isn't quite the 32% that Bill mentions. I've got a sample of screening that feels very similar to the mesh used by BA, and it weighed out to .97 oz/sqyd. Nanoseeum is quoted at .71 oz/sq yd so you save about .26 oz/sq yd.

How did you extrapolate the weight of the screen as 18oz.? Using the proposed weight above, that would mean that the BASSL would have roughly 18 sq yds. of screening. That seems a little high to me and is probably more like 4-5 sq/yd.

With that, you would only save 1-1.25 oz total. The material cost wouldn't be that high (~$25 for screen, plus some extra for new grosgrain for the pole clips), but it seems like a lot of time and effort to save such a small amount of weight.

On top of that, the screen on the BASSL has been noted as "picking" easier than standard screen mesh. If nanoseeum is even more fragile, than it may be one more reason not to try the project.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Ben, re:Switching Nylon Mesh to Nanoseeum? on 04/12/2007 08:00:52 MDT Print View

;-)
no mesh worries; Mighty Dome 1

Edited by Brett1234 on 04/12/2007 09:50:43 MDT.

Scott Van Doeselaar
(vandoe) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
Re: Switching Nylon Mesh to Nanoseeum? on 04/13/2007 00:49:04 MDT Print View

I recently purchased the nanoseeum from thru-hiker for my tent project. I also had purchased a BA seedhouse and I think the nanoseeum is going to be stronger than the stuff used in the seedhouse. I found it was quite easy to cause "picking" in the mesh of the seedhouse but I was able to repeatedly scrape a sharp obeject across the nanoseeum with no effect.

Edited by vandoe on 04/13/2007 00:49:58 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Switching Nylon Mesh to Nanoseeum? on 04/13/2007 09:07:10 MDT Print View

Scott:

Do you think there is much weight difference between the BA nylon mesh and the nanoseeum? Would you switch?

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Switching Nylon Mesh to Nanoseeum? on 04/13/2007 18:09:05 MDT Print View

Like someone said, the weight difference between
standard noseeum net and nanoseeumnet is .2 oz/yd squared.
That would make a difference of 1 ounce on 5 square yards.

I would put my energy and time into something else, either
a hike or another piece of gear.

Scott Van Doeselaar
(vandoe) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
Re: Re: Switching Nylon Mesh to Nanoseeum? on 04/13/2007 22:49:27 MDT Print View

I couldn't really tell if there was a weight difference. It does seem like a fair amount of effort for small savings.