Forum Index » GEAR » Hexamid Solo+ tent for winter use

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dale Caldwell
(dalemc) - F

Locale: Coastal Georgia
Hexamid Solo+ tent for winter use on 01/27/2013 12:24:09 MST Print View

I'm concerned about using a Zpacks Hexamid Solo+ tent in the winter because of snow/frost/ice and the netting. I live in the southeast U.S. where the snow isn't exactly dry (from my limited experiences). I don't want to deal with my netting being frozen solid in the ground. Is this a legit concern? Have others used this tent in such conditions and if so, can you please provide feedback about your experiences? Thanks!

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Hexamid Solo+ tent for winter use on 01/27/2013 13:43:38 MST Print View

That's a legit concern. The netting could easily freeze in the snow/ice and it would be difficult to remove. I'd recommend keeping an eye on the gear swap. Mids more suitable to winter use come up all the time and you could preserve your Hexamid for three-season use.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Hexamid Solo+ tent for winter use on 01/27/2013 17:04:23 MST Print View

Good question. I sometimes still bring a ground cloth for a tent. Why not just do that, not a big weight penalty. Glad you mentioned it though, as I am seriously wanting to get a Hexamid and see if I could use it for some snow camping.
Duane

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Hexamid Solo+ tent for winter use on 01/27/2013 17:56:07 MST Print View

This is a legit concern.

The couple of times I saw snow with my hexamid I didn't have a problem... but there wasn't a lot of accumulation. There was at least one trip when the bug netting perimeter on a MLD Superfly got embedded in snow. There was a slight thaw, a freeze over night, and I found a chuck of the netting embedded hard into the snow. I almost didn't notice the problem and might have ripped the netting. I got it to release by melting the snow with a water bottle filled with boiling water. It was annoying but not a big deal.

--Mark

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Hexamid Solo+ tent for winter use on 01/27/2013 22:11:42 MST Print View

umm... it really isn't a winter shelter, unless you live in the low desert.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: Hexamid Solo+ tent for winter use on 01/27/2013 22:38:18 MST Print View

> umm... it really isn't a winter shelter, unless you live in the low desert.

Dale's in Georgia and he talked about south east, so I assume the winter he is talking about is fairly mild and snow is an occasional thing rather than a guarantee. If I was really expecting snow I would take a shelter that had full walls to keep out snow and wind. But while the hexamid wouldn't be my first choice for snow (or cold winter) it's done already for me on shoulder season trips where we got several inches on snow dropped on us. I was using a waterproof bottom/DWR top bivy with my quilt which was a big help.

--Mark

Dale Caldwell
(dalemc) - F

Locale: Coastal Georgia
Mark... on 01/28/2013 10:07:20 MST Print View

You are exactly right about my intentions. I'm planning a trip to do the balds/peaks of the Joyce Kilmer area (~5k ft.) in mid February. I feel like I'd be dumb to not plan for snow and cold temps. I feel like the hexamids staked low (and maybe a few other creative actions) should do the trick. I will consider a different shelter for next winter but I'm not in a position to just order a new Duomid at this point. I'm trying to make what I have work. However, all I have right now is a Solo+ tent. I can get my hands on a solo+ tarp without the netting if I need to. I just thought the netting could be very unfavorable for this trip and was looking for input.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
NikWax on 01/28/2013 13:18:49 MST Print View

Try washing your netting in NikWax waterproofing or spraying it with Revivex DWR. That should make it much easier to shake the frost off.

Gerry Brucia
(taedawood) - MLife

Locale: Louisiana, USA
Hexamid Solo+tent for winter use on 01/28/2013 14:23:10 MST Print View

That is a very good question. Cubby and Boston used a Hexamid Solo+ on their cross country American Discovery Trail hike from Delaware to California in 2012 and a Hexamid Solo on their Pacific Crest Trail hike in 2010. They experienced their fair share of snow on both hikes. You can contact them on trailjournals.com and they will most likely be happy to share their extensive experience with the Hexamid with you.