Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tahoe Rim Trail over Summer Advice
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Hall
(lundquistas) - F
Tahoe Rim Trail over Summer Advice on 01/27/2013 10:57:24 MST Print View

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks to all those you commented on my JMT pack list. I've had a change of plans and am doing the Tahoe Rim Trail this summer now and wanted to see if there was anyone who had done the hike and would suggest certain items. I'm under the impression that I won't be required to carry a bear canister at all, I know bears are active up there, we've had them walk into our cabin looking for food! So maybe I should carry one anyways? Rather not though...here we go! Thanks!

Packing- GG Kumo or Osprey Exos 46...not sure yet
Cuben Fiber Stuff sacks for everything

Sleeping
EE Revelation X 30 Quilt with overstuff &
Warbonnet Traveller Hammock with whoopie slings
Hammock Gear Cuben HEx Tarp
Ti Stakes
Thermarest Z lite sol (also pack support)

Kitchen
Caldera Cone Keg Stove system
Ti Spork
Mini Bic lighters

Hydration
Sawyer squeeze filter w/ 2L bottle
2 Smart 1 liter bottles

Clothes worn and packed
Montbell Dynamo wind pants
Patagonia Houdini
Montbell Synthetic Inner
Smartwool socks x2
Ex officio underwear x2
Smartwool Wool t shirt
Smartwool 1/4 LS shirt
Wool beanie
Stoic Thrive shorts
Vibram Spydiron shoes
Patagonia Capilene 3 long underwear
Sunglasses
Wide Brim Hat
Black Diamond Trekking Poles
PossumDown Gloves

Misc
First Aid Kit
Toothbrush and toothpaste
TP
Sunscreen
bug spray
iPhone 5
Solar Charger
BG Mini Knife
Mini multitool
Petzl E-lite
compass
maps
headnet

Thanks!

Frank H.
(porker110) - F

Locale: California
Tahoe Rim Trail over Summer Advice on 01/27/2013 11:01:12 MST Print View

Howdy,

I'm planning on hiking the TRT this summer as well.

Just curious on what people have to say about your gear selection.

-Frank

Steven Hall
(lundquistas) - F
Sweet! on 01/27/2013 11:34:56 MST Print View

Nice! Do you know when you're going and where you are starting from?

Frank H.
(porker110) - F

Locale: California
Tahoe Rim Trail over Summer Advice on 01/27/2013 11:40:19 MST Print View

I don't have any exact dates. Either in June or July.

I plan on starting from Tahoe Meadows.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
No canister on 01/27/2013 17:32:49 MST Print View

Needed. The only thing to watch is water. I had found a list of water sources. Depending on snow year and time of hike, the TRT can be pretty dry. I did a water and food cache near the road coming down from Truckee on the north side of the lake. That was the driest section when I did the trail.

On a separate note. Not sure why you switched from JMT to TRT but they are IMHO not even in the same class. The TRT has a few good views of the lake but other than desolation wilderness it was frankly disappointing. YMMV.

Daniel Allen
(Dan_Quixote) - F

Locale: below the mountains (AK)
My TRT experience on 01/28/2013 07:52:52 MST Print View

I did it in September last year, and it didn't rain on me but for about five minutes close to the southern terminus. Most of your gear looks great to me, but I'm worried about your shoes. Even tough vibrams could leave your feet feeling battered if you're moving 20 miles in a day, especially through desolation. I used an odor-blocking nylofume bag with no bear can, and didn't have any problems for my own part.

If you do a bpl search, you can find several great threads on the TRT with links to simple tables folks have compiled about water sources; the north is definitely the driest section, but the northeast isn't great either. I usually had extra when I rolled in to the next water source, but I carried a bit and also found I could hike pretty well without drinking a whole lot if needed to.

As for the scenery, it surely isn't spectacular all the time. Desolation is definitely the nicest spot, but it doesn't offer any views of the lake proper where the TRT goes through it. On the dry, dusty, boring northern and eastern sides, you get frequent relief with great views of the lake, and sometimes you'll pop over a ridge or hit a peak that gives you great views away from the lake as well.

Austin Lundquist
(Alundquist) - F
Shoes on 01/28/2013 20:26:45 MST Print View

Yah the shoes were what I was thinking of changing. I also hike in merrell trail gloves.

The reason for the switch from the JMT is that I need to find a shorter trip and its my first thru hike and I heart the TRT is one of the easier ones to plan because of all the stops in civilization...