RyanF gearlist
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
re:RyanF gearlist on 04/12/2007 20:48:03 MDT Print View

Ryan, Thanks, all great answers, and I learned a lot. Im thinking running shorts would be nice in camp in warm weather, and preferrable to my zip off pants for swimming. I'm going to switch.
Your system is really dialed in; very impressive.

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Re: re:RyanF gearlist on 04/13/2007 01:15:36 MDT Print View

I too am very impressed. I figured to get pack weight down to SUL and still have a durable WPB jacket, warm sleeping bag etc, I would have to forget having hot meals just to save weight. You've given my tastebuds hope...

Paul Luther
(eredluin) - M

Locale: Northeast
Re: Re: re:RyanF gearlist on 04/13/2007 07:15:36 MDT Print View

Ryan, Nicely done. You've given me some ideas. I do most of my hiking in the Rockies and Sierras. Usually late August or early September. For my legs, I prefer Patagonia Cool Weather Tights treated with a ReviveX wash-in. Under the tights, I wear a pair of running shorts(sage burners or long haul runners) with the liner removed. I remove the tights when the temps are warm. The CWT are light, about 7.4oz., durable, water resistant, and the large fit baggy on my skinny legs. Just a thought.

Paul

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: Re: Re: re:RyanF gearlist on 04/13/2007 17:49:50 MDT Print View

Eric,

I have not used the Cuben in the bivy for very long, so i dont have any information about long term durability, but luckily, everytime i have, i have been able to find a good place to set up camp so i dont need to worry about this.
For longer trips where i sometimes get a little careless with camp set up i would add a gossamer gear polycro groundsheet (1.3oz) but i did this with all my silnylon bivies as well.

Paul,

at lower temps i also wear a pair of tights or a light softshell pant over my shorts. my choice is a salomon XA raid tight (6.3oz) but i would like to try out some CW-X tights. I guess ill find out the weight when i buy them :)

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: Re: Re: Re: re:RyanF gearlist on 04/13/2007 17:54:54 MDT Print View

Thanks so much for all the comments guys