Forum Index » GEAR » Big Sky International Update

Display Avatars Sort By:
kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
How do you spell "sarcasm" ? Well, it's not R-E-L-I-E-F on 06/13/2007 16:10:49 MDT Print View

Hey, everybody. You know all those Big Sky Tents that nobody has received after all these millenia? Well a large unbadged delivery truck deposited several hundred boxes from BS on my doorstep, while I was away overnight. I blame the Sopranos.

Anyone want to swing by and pick one up? Careful not to step in it. :-D>

Edited by kdesign on 06/13/2007 16:12:49 MDT.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: How do you spell "sarcasm" ? Well, it's not R-E-L-I-E-F on 06/13/2007 18:12:49 MDT Print View

I think BPL members have way to strong of a "love to hate" relationship with B/S.

Mitchell Keil
(mitchellkeil) - F

Locale: Deep in the OC
Re: Re: How do you spell "sarcasm" ? Well, it's not R-E-L-I-E-F on 06/14/2007 11:11:19 MDT Print View

Just as an observer, Aaron, you are probably right -- but it seems well deserved, don't you think?

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

R-E-L-I-E-F on this sorry subject on 06/14/2007 12:00:18 MDT Print View

Well, Aaron, everyone needs a hobby. :-P

OK, OK, I'll start a self-imposed moratorium on this subject on this site. (But keep sending letters and email to Backpacker and Outside)

I have a brilliant idea---let's talk about all the great equipment that actually is available out there! :-)>

Edited by kdesign on 06/14/2007 12:01:42 MDT.

George Taylor
(gmtaylor3) - F
Big Sky International Tents on 06/20/2007 15:54:07 MDT Print View

This is one of those postings that is done in the interest of fairness. I posted a message on the site on June 5 outlining my concerns over delivery of an Evolution 2P. The Company had not responded to an e-mail and a telephone message. Then, on June 12, I received a phone message from Bob Molen, who owns the Company. He stated that they had been having computer problems and were slow in answering e-mail. He went on to indicate that the hold-up was the carbon fibre poles and that if I would be willing to accept aluminum poles, he could ship fairly soon. I called him back the next day and told him that aluminum would be fine and gave him my credit card information. He shipped the tent out THAT SAME DAY. I have since received it and am very pleased with it. (It is a very cool tent.)

I know a lot of you have been frustrated with this Company and I must admit that I had doubts that I would ever see my tent based on the comments I had read here, but in order to be totally fair, Bob did work very hard to get me the tent that I need in time for an upcoming (Philmont) trip. His effort has resulted in my becoming a very loyal customer.

George Taylor

Paul Keenan
(paulfkeenan) - F
My experience with Big Sky on 06/20/2007 19:58:10 MDT Print View

First time poster to BPL. Couldn't resist on this topic.

Ordered my BS tent on March 6th, 2007. Received it today, June 20th, as promised. Order & product details follow:

Your Order Number Is: 7207
Date Of Order: 3/6/2007 5:53:00 PM
Order Status: New Order
Big Sky Evolution 2P 2D2V shelter, 10% discount - June shipping - pay when shipped, Light weight rain fly with window, color: granite gray, Pole sleeves [ADD 1oz/28g], Aluminum poles [ADD 4.6oz/132g], Silnylon tubular compression bag - [ADD 1.3oz/36g] ($24.95 - 60%), 2 Easton 6.5in/16.5cm + 6 Ti stakes/pegs - Big Sky recommended [ADD 2.7oz/77g] ($20.50 - 15% + FREE stake bag), 4 guy lines & 4 Easton 6.5in/16.5cm stakes/pegs - Big Sky recommended w/ CF poles [ADD 2.7oz/71g] ($16.95 - 15%), 2P Footprint [5.3oz/150g] ($59.95 - 15%), no other accessories
Product Part #: Evo2P-2D2V-GR-SL-AL (Qty: 1 x $377.68)

Guy lines are on backorder. Bob Molen was responsive to my email inquiries. I'd buy from BS again.

Paul

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Big Sky turns a new leaf? on 06/20/2007 20:00:12 MDT Print View

Could it be...? Just asking.

Edited by kdesign on 06/20/2007 20:01:19 MDT.

Sven Klingemann
(svenklingemann) - F
Re: Big Sky turns a new leaf? on 06/20/2007 20:11:34 MDT Print View

Got mine today ... :-)
Maybe, could it be ... ?
It is good to hear some positive feedback about BS.
I did order it on December 31st. 2006.
S.

kristin hostetter
(khostetter) - F
Big Sky on 06/21/2007 04:57:46 MDT Print View

I've been told by Bob that most configurations of the two person Evolution is now in stock and ready to ship the day after it's ordered. He told me he's having quality problems with the single wall versions, so there are still delays on that front, but he has updated his website to be more honest about ship dates.

Kristin Hostetter
Backpacker

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Big Sky turns a new leaf? on 06/21/2007 08:46:56 MDT Print View

Lord amighty. I never thought I'd see the day. Maybe I'll be able to get one of his Revolution 1P 1D0V in Znorkel. Clown that I am, I hope they still make it in that flashy orange color.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Big Sky turns a new leaf? on 06/21/2007 10:50:58 MDT Print View

Having read the last few posts regarding delivery of Big Sky tents, I emailed Bob to get his estimated delivery time for a Revolution 1P 1D0V Znorkel tent. This email just arrived:

"I always appreciate hearing that you are enjoying your Evolution 2P…

The fabric for the Revolution series is at the factory we are having problems with so I can NOT give a precise ship date… sorry… I may have a better idea later in July after I visit them again the first part of July… the Revolution series fabric is custom fabric made specifically for us so it very costly to replace and the delivery time very long so we are trying to work with the factory but our patience has run out…

Yes, the Evolution 2Ps are in stock with more on the way in a week or two…

Congratulations on your retirement!

Best regards,

Bob"

Let us pray.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Big Sky turns a new leaf? on 06/21/2007 11:17:12 MDT Print View

Maybe? At least Bob's response to you is more honest and upfront than in the past.

Lots of people (myself included) like his tents very much. Hopefully, this is truly the light at the end of the tunnel. Heck, I myself might even buy an Evolution from him...

Chris Chung
(BPMonkey) - M

Locale: Los Angeles
Big Sky delivered as promised on 06/25/2007 19:28:47 MDT Print View

I received the Evolution 2P2D2V today.
I read about the trouble customers had with Big Sky not delivering the tents. But on a whim, I picked up BPM's gear guide and read the article about Big Sky being able to catch up on overdue deliveries and having a surplus around June so I decided to gamble with a purchase.
This is how it went down for me.

4/16/07: Ordered Evolution 234.
4/23/07: Received estimated ship date of June/July 2007 by email.
6/01/07: Asked Bob to change my order to the Evolution 2P.
6/11/07: Received email from Bob stating he changed my order and that I would receive the tent by end of June.
6/16/07: Received email from Bob with tracking number for my tent. Also received email notification of credit card being charged from Big Sky.
6/21/07: Tent shipped out.
6/25/07: Tent arrived at home.

I know others had a miserable time dealing with Big Sky but as for me, this process was painless. I hope they will continue to provide good customer service to others, as they did for me.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Big Sky delivered as promised on 06/25/2007 19:52:30 MDT Print View

Chris,

I think you just won the Big-Sky-Shortest-Delivery-Time-Ever prize. Congratulations. Enjoy your tent, they're great.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Big Sky pie in the sky---people digging in... on 06/25/2007 20:03:23 MDT Print View

If this were the "Ain't It Cool News" site---someone would respond to the earlier posting with "PLANT". But we all know that we're all honest on this site....
>:-)>

Hope it really is a sign of better things to come from B.S. Really.

Chris Chung
(BPMonkey) - M

Re: Big Sky pie in the sky---people digging in... on 06/25/2007 20:19:56 MDT Print View

Denis:

Thanks, I just set it up in my living room (I live in an apt.) and the tent seems fine.
The only gripe I have is with the compression sack for the tent. The middle strap which is folded over and sewn together has come apart and needs to be sewn again.

Kevin:

I guess choosing this caustic topic to be my first post might not have been the best idea. I assure you I've been lurking around for a few months and not a "PLANT" :)

Edited by BPMonkey on 06/25/2007 20:20:45 MDT.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

By and by... on 06/25/2007 20:25:00 MDT Print View

It is a minefield, Chris. As you participate more on this site, you will probably get more exposed to my (peculiar, edgy, dark?---fill in the blank) brand of humor. :-)> I'm not really questioning your veracity.

Welcome to BPL, I might add.

Chris Chung
(BPMonkey) - M

Re: By and by... on 06/25/2007 20:47:40 MDT Print View

Kevin:

Thank you for the "welcome".
I didn't really thing you were questioning my veracity as I have seen your other posts.
But this being a Big Sky post, I should reply just in case. :)

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Re: By and by... on 06/25/2007 22:30:11 MDT Print View

Chris,

I don't even use the stuff sack supplied. I roll the tent inside the fly, around the poles, and use three stout rubber bands. When I carry the CF pole set I carry the poles inside a piece of light weight plastic tubing. I got it at TAP Plastics. The tube is transparent red and is very light. The tube is designed to put around fluorescent tubes and just fits.

One happy camper
My tent on my office floor just after it arrived in December 2006.

Edited by redleader on 06/25/2007 22:33:38 MDT.

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
Who has NOT received their gear (info for interview with Bob Molen) on 08/06/2007 10:18:49 MDT Print View

Hi all,
I'm starting to see posts of folks receiving their Big Sky gear. I'll be interviewing Bob Molen at the OR show this week.
If you have ordered from Big Sky and NOT yet received your gear, please e-mail me (carol@backpackinglight.com) with the following information:
Product ordered
Month ordered
Month credit card charged
Details on communication between you and Big Sky