Locale: Colorado
Cost-Per-Use on 01/24/2013 17:55:10 MST Print View

Interesting argument being made here:

http://semi-rad.com/2013/01/whats-the-cost-per-use-of-your-skisbikerack/

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
interesting on 01/24/2013 18:01:23 MST Print View

interesting way to look at things. I sometimes look at my shoes or backpack as dollars per mile.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: interesting on 01/24/2013 21:45:16 MST Print View

A friend mine rented everything he could. Bikes, motorcycles, skis, motorhomes, campers, camping gear, etc. So he usually had the newest model too. So how did it work out? Retired at 49 as a multi-millionaire. All the money he saved by not buying toys he invested. His first job was washing cars at a dealership. Over the years he got promotions at the dealership, which was the only company he ever worked for.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Cost-Per-Use on 01/24/2013 23:47:38 MST Print View

Some combat shooters say, "Beware the man with one gun." (versus 20) - the thought being he knows how to use it really well.

Should we "Envy the man with one sport?" Sure, Lance paid a lot for his road bike and his IV stand, but look how much use (miles, hours, victories, milliliters) he got from them.

We had guests arrive here in AK from WA and this is almost exactly what their Subaru looked like:

http://www.art.com/products/p15063669683-sa-i6854833/edward-koren-carol-our-guests-are-here-along-with-the-complete-l-l-bean-catalogue-new-yorker-cartoon.htm

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: interesting on 01/25/2013 08:01:14 MST Print View

Renting things is more expensive than buying

Like I don't see why people lease cars

The point of that article is to not buy stuff you won't use. If you buy something, you want to wear it out.

Buying stuff is like a drug. You get a high anticipating the package arriving. Caressing it. Isn't it pretty? Then you use it once, the high fades, and you have to buy some new thing to satisfy your addicition.

Interesting that Nick is arguing the liberal position and I'm arguing the conservative position...

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Gear fixes on 01/25/2013 08:30:16 MST Print View

Mmmmm....postal package.....new gear.....must check gear swap.....steep and cheap......Sierra trading post......how many quilts and tents and packs and headlamps and stoves can I own???????

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Cost-Per-Use on 01/25/2013 08:33:12 MST Print View

my running training log keeps track of miles logged per pair of shoes, also lets you enter price paid and then will keep track of cost/mile, most almost to be retired (4th pair) Sabino Trails are at 606 miles w/ a cost of .08/mile- I wish I could say that about all my gear :)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: interesting on 01/25/2013 08:56:19 MST Print View

Jerry,

My friend only rented stuff when he used it. A day or a week.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
its not ... on 01/25/2013 10:53:16 MST Print View

its not the gear that matters but what and how much you do with it ...

in climbing those who start out with a single pair of shoes, a single harness, a single set of cams and nuts, a single rope ... are those i find usually climb the most and the hardest when they start out .... because all their money is spent on going to do actual climbing

eventually you will accumulate more gear of course ...

but gear isnt what makes you any better ... going out and practicing the skills over and over again will ... and the more you use the gear (in real life, gear lists on BPL dont count) ... the lower your cost per use will be

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
"He who wears out the most toys wins." on 01/28/2013 21:55:18 MST Print View

Jus' sayin'...