The front page of the Hawk Vittles site says, “…the portions are generous. When we say double serving, we mean it satisfies two people with big appetites.” On their FAQ page, it further says, “Q: Is each double serving really 2 servings? A: Yes, I base my serving size on the appetites of two full sized men who have spent a day of hard exercising. Many of the meals have been more then my hiking partner and I would finish.”
With that in mind, here's a photo of an individual serving size of the Beef Stew, before and after I rehydrated it. It’s in a 32 oz Ziploc container. Remember that it's supposed to be enough to satisfy someone with a "big appetite" who has "spent a day of hard exercising." Obviously it will depend on how much other stuff you have for dinner....
So here’s what I’ve tried so far:
▪ Sierra Spaghetti: A little bland, but not too bad. I ate every last bite, so that says something. I’d probably buy it again, although just dehydrating my own spaghetti is a lot tastier and more filling.
▪ Moroccan Stew: Bland. Tiny serving size. Would NOT buy again.
▪ Fiesta Frijoles: Bland. Tiny serving size. After a few bites, I tossed the rest down the drain and went on to the next one (see below). Would NOT buy again.
▪ Beef Stew: Bland. Didn’t rehydrate quite enough. Tiny serving size. After a few bites, I threw the rest down the drain and headed to Subway for something tasty. Would NOT buy again.
I have six more of these to try, so I’ll update this post to reflect my thoughts about them. I don’t need a lot of tasty freeze dried meals. I just need to find a small handful that I really like and that have large enough portion sizes to fill up my scrawny 160 pound frame after a day of hiking. So the experiment will continue.....
▪ Chicken Pilaf: Very bland. Didn’t rehydrate enough, even in a cozy. Better serving size that most of the others so far, but that’s to be expected when the dry ingredients are up to the 5 oz range rather than the 3-4 oz range. Two bites into it, I threw it down the drain, which has been the norm for most of these meals. Would NOT buy again.
▪ Shrimp Cappellini: Did we bother putting ANY flavor in this one at all?!?! This is like eating plain, unflavored noodles. Serving size is good, but bland beyond belief. This one didn’t rehydrate enough either, even in a cozy. Two bites and it went down the drain, just like the last one. Would not buy again!!
Honestly, this experiment is getting old fast. I still have four more of these to try, and I’m tempted to just throw them all in the trash. VERY disappointed at this point. I’ve tried numerous brands of freeze-dried food over a lot of years, and Hawk Vittles is by far the absolute worst I’ve experienced. I've tried six meals so far, and only finished one. That's an 83% failure rate.