Hawk Vittles
Display Avatars Sort By:
whalen e
(whalen) - M

Locale: PNW
Hawk Vittles on 01/24/2013 16:34:02 MST Print View

Does anyone have any experience with Hawk Vittles, who sells dehydrated meals? If so, any recommendations, any favorites? How was the company, shipping, & prices?

Thx

Paul Ensley
(palooka) - M

Locale: Indiana
yum on 01/24/2013 16:39:21 MST Print View

I love Hawk Vittles. I've always found their single meals to be the right amount of food at the end of a long day of hiking.

I really like the Cowboy Pasta and the Beef Stew.

The company was fine to work with, shipped fast, I think USPS. I thought their tiered pricing structure for shipping was a bit wonky. I actually ended up removing one of the meals from my order because it would have bumped me up into a higher shipping price, so the marginal cost of the meal was going to be like $9 instead of $5. Oh well.

Definitely recommend Hawk Vittles!

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Hawk Vittles on 01/24/2013 16:46:37 MST Print View

I have used their foods. They arrived fairly quickly. I liked how There were few ingredients and I knew what the ingredients were. I thought the food was good, but not great. The meals tended to be sweet to me. I usually don't like my savory meals to be sweet. For example, a past a dish with tomato sauce was too sweet for me. It reminded me of chef boy ar dee. I added a little hot pepper and it was quite good. Your taste may vary from mine regarding sweetness. Other than that issue, I was pleased with their meals.

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
So so on 01/24/2013 17:59:23 MST Print View

Used them for a five day and was ok...but found the flavor just so so.... Not too impressed. But as much as any non home dehydrated others. It's good but nothing made it stand out.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Locale: NEOH
Like 'em on 01/24/2013 19:09:40 MST Print View

I've bought them a few times and find them quite tasty, but as can seen by other replies tastes can be different. I have stick mostly to the Spicy Sausage Pasta, North African Stew and Moroccan Stew which were all very good. I was going to try the Black Bean Stew, but alas my 4-legged friend got into my food bag and polished it off before one of my trips. A buddy of mine tried (and I had a taste of the Has Browns and Sausage breakfast and while it didn't look great it still tasted quite good.

I like that he uses fresh ingredients and the dehydrates the cooked product -- no preservatives, etc. I usually buy the double sizes and break them down with a scale to single portions into Ziplocs at home. Not too hard to figure out the smaller water quantity needed from there. We have found that the 2nd level of shipping (was like 6 double meals) worked out best for me and a friend I ordered with. Product was usually pretty quick (within a week or so).

HTH

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Hawk Vittles on 01/28/2013 12:32:41 MST Print View

I have ordered thousands of dollars worth of food from HawkVittles.

Just pay attention to the calories count because some of the individual servings are half or more less calories than what is listed. Open a spreadsheet or grab a piece of paper and start keeping track of that. Just something to pay attention to. Just click on the image next to each one for a pop-up that will show the nutritional information, and at the bottom of that pop-up is the package weight. Do the math to get the total calories per serving.

They tend to have a slightly higher calorie count than most others out there - and two or three of his are really high and very good.

He does tend to over hydrate his foods a bit to make sure they have a longer shelf life (which is a good thing) but it does tend to take a bit longer to get the food rehydrated (which is a bad thing) so I have found pre-soaking them while you are hiking to be of benefit.

+Abela

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Hawk Vittles on 01/28/2013 17:25:17 MST Print View

Hawk Vittles are my favorite meal so far. They have simple ingredients, good taste, and a high caloric content. Most other meals have pees, onions, and carrots in nearly every single meal which I am not a fan of. My favorite is the Buffalo Pasta.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 01/28/2013 17:26:21 MST.

John Hansen
(jhflying) - M
Not impressed on 09/25/2013 21:51:08 MDT Print View

Based on these reviews and others, I bought some Hawk Vittles for our JMT trip this month. I violated my cardinal rule of not taking new food without trying at home, but the reviews were so positive. I used the cook-in-bag method and I also placed the bag in a cozy to ensure it stayed hot while cooking. I also let it cook for a few minutes more than the instructions.

First dinner - Beef Stew. Now, we were high (10,000'+) in the Sierra's, but the noodles were undercooked. But more importantly, the taste was bland. Was the double pack sufficient for 2 people? Yes, because we struggled choking it down.

Second dinner - Lasagna. This time, I let it cook 5 minutes longer in the bag in the cozy. But still the noodles were crunchy. And it was more bland than the Beef Stew. This was after a hard day of climbing over Muir Pass and we were starving. I added some hot sauce, but the taste profile was just bland.

Breakfast - Packers potatoes. In the hiker bin at Muir Trail Ranch...

If I'm going to pay twice the price for a specialty dehydrated product, it should be better than Mountain House. I'm tired of Mountain House, but the equivalent product (Beef Stew and Lasagna) is better than Hawk Vittles. Since this product was originally designed for cooking in a pot for 15 minutes over a low flame, my guess is that the cook-in-bag method only works in the low hills of the East Coast. I can't even imagine the result without a cozy.

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
Hawk Vittles on 09/26/2013 09:51:21 MDT Print View

I passed this on to Redhawk this is his return:

"Thanks for the info Ken. Didn't see that particular post in the thread. It's interesting, one individual talks about the "noodles" in the beef stew not rehydrating well, Curious because there aren't and noodles in the beef stew. As far as Johns (Abella's) post he is incorrect in that the posted nutritional values are for single servings, therefore a double serving would be twice the nutritional value, not vice versa. Can't post on the forum unless you're a member and they charge for membership. So those errors will not be addressed. I do make sure the food is well dehydrated, not to increase shelf life but to assure that there is no chance for bacteria or mold to form.

Jeff Sims
(jeffreytsims) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal
Hawk on 09/26/2013 10:11:52 MDT Print View

I have to say that I have converted from Packit Gourmet to Hawk Vittles pretty much exclusively. I eat hot for both breakfast and dinner with snacks and bars throughout the day and have found that my body responds much better to Hawk Vittles than any other dehydrated food that I have tried (no head aches, constipation or other stomach issues)

I for one really enjoy most of the dinner options, Bison Stew and pasta, there was a shrimp meal that really sticks out as well. Most of the breakfasts are pretty good as well. I found the grits to be a bit bland, however they are grits, and grits are bland so a little home dehydrated hot sauce of choice and maybe some shrimp and it is a breakfast of champions.

I used the HV exclusively on my 9 day JMT NOBO and every meal was completely rehydrated . I do use the cook in bag process and I drop the bag in an insulated cozy of sorts.

I have also found Redhawk to be extremely accommodating when it came to shipping everything in an extremely timely manner when I had to rearrange my trip dates.

As always YMMV but I will stick with Hawk Vittles and mix in a bit of the Packit Gourmet stuff that I like as well.

Jeff

Bradley Attaway
(AttaboyBrad) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Didn't match the hype on 09/26/2013 12:00:34 MDT Print View

I too was disappointed with Hawk Vittles. After reading a ton of positive reviews I ordered about 10 of their meals as well as their coozie.

Each meal was boiled-in-bag-in-coozie with the prescribed amount of water and given 30+ minutes to rehydrate, and each was disappointing: watery consistency with bland flavor that sent me to bed still hungry.

They're also frustrating to boil because the bags can't stand up on their own like MH pouches can.

I'm back to Mountain House and thankful for it.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Never tried them on 09/26/2013 15:33:55 MDT Print View

I have never tried Hawk Vittles, but I to plan to try a meal or two. I currently only use Packit Gourmet and love their meals. They are also excellent at getting my order shipped with time to spare. I just put my departure date in the comments and they make sure it ships with enough time.

I can eat Mountain House, but it doesn't taste very good. ;^)