Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Sierra Snowshoe :: Feb 2013
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Sierra Snowshoe :: Feb 2013" on 02/12/2013 16:46:13 MST Print View

I'm in for sure, I'm psyched!

I'm toying with the idea of leaving the Bay Area at 10:00 pm Friday and trailhead camping. It's a full moon so it might be fun to ski in a ways.

But more likely I'll leave early Saturday.

Anyone else confirmed for Saturday morning and want to ride together? If the roads are clear I have a car with good MPG.

Dave

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
"Sierra Snowshoe :: Feb 2013" on 02/13/2013 08:58:25 MST Print View

David, not sure what time I'll be leaving at but I think Friday afternoon sometime. Sort of depends on whether anyone wants to car pool and how their schedules look.

I'm looking at the 10 day forecast and there isn't much snow forecasted between now and Friday the 22nd, of course things can change so we'll just keep an eye on it. If it's clear like this, then we shouldn't have any issues parking in the large turnout where the Tahoe Rim Trail meets HWY 89.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Role Call on 02/17/2013 21:46:41 MST Print View

Can we get a count of who is in for this?

I think right now the only confirmed people we have are:

- David L
- David W
- Jacob D

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Role Call on 02/18/2013 15:37:35 MST Print View

Julie and I are 50/50 right now. If the conditions are good, we will probably be downhill skiing this weekend since we haven't been able to use our season passes very much this year. Otherwise, we will plan to join in on this trip. I should know for sure in a couple days.

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: Sierra Snowshoe :: Feb 2013 on 02/18/2013 21:03:34 MST Print View

Me and Rick are in. Looks like there won't be any snow this weekend so we will be heading out of 89 and TRT. Do you have the coordinates of this location?

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
Sierra Snowshoe :: Feb 2013" on 02/18/2013 21:43:19 MST Print View

Weather.com has it at a 50% chance and the NOAA predicts a "slight chance" of snow showers Saturday.

Does this potentially affect us for parking? If they end up having to plow the road they might tow our vehicles?

Also, and this is just food for thought, the new snow expected to fall this week on top of the current snowpack will result in an increase in the avalanche hazard. I definitely don't know enough about it to assess the risk by looking at a topo, I know just enough to be wary. It appears on Hillmap.com that the valley at the foot of Waterhouse is big enough for us to avoid dangerous slopes except possibly at the very beginning.

Not trying to freak anyone out, just putting it out there.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Sierra Snowshoe :: Feb 2013 on 02/18/2013 22:38:27 MST Print View

If the weather does not work out for you Eskimos I am going back to Henry Coe and going to Coit Lake from the Headquarters a groovy 26 mile round trip. I was in Tahoe this past weekend and the conditions were pretty ideal for some snow shoeing which I did at Sugar Bowl and around the lake on Soda Springs Rd. If any of you abominable snow men have 2ND thoughts--well see ya there bright and early.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Updates, Info, Concerns on 02/19/2013 08:46:28 MST Print View

Confirmed Attending
- David L
- David W
- Jacob D
- Mark E
- Rick E

Location
*IF* we stick with Scotts Lake, I don't have a coord, USGS Topo = Freel Peak
That will get you most of the area except the very beginning which is around/near the TRT / HWY 89 junction.

*See next part...

Concerns
Parking - We can watch the weather and call this Weds evening or Thur morning if that works for everyone. If snow is a concern (as in, maybe leading to our vehicles being towed!) we can change our destination to the Grubb Hut area, no big deal.


Avy Danger - It's always good to be aware of the conditions. We'll be making our way along the West / South West aspects of Waterhouse Peak and greater area. Wind loading is much less of a factor on those aspects. SAC has the avy danger for today (heavy snow) increasing from low to moderate on S/SW aspects below tree line. We'll be well below tree line the entire time (except anyone who still wants to bag the peak). The slopes are forested most of the way up, and the South Side of Scott's Lake is relatively flat and away from the slopes on either side - my personal assessment - I feel ok with it.


Weather - Depending on which forecast you read, there may or may not be snow. Low temps in the teens to low 20's. Some wind. Prepare accordingly.

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Sierra Snowshoe on 02/19/2013 10:03:03 MST Print View

Ellen and I are still interested. We just did a day hike up past the Grubb Hut this weekend though, so we will probably go somewhere new if the weather turns out to be too risky to park at Scotts Lake.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Updates, Info, Concerns on 02/19/2013 14:01:38 MST Print View

Jacob,

Put me down for attending. Unless we're "hiking" in as a group, I'll be coming up early Saturday morning on snowshoes.

Approximate location of Scott's Lake (38.7657, -119.9695 @ 8063 ft) The slopes don't appear steep enough to cause me concern for avy danger, especially as they're mostly southern facing slopes. Below is a slope map of the area, Yellow = 28-34*, Red = 35-45*.
Big meadow - Slope Map

EDIT: Looks like we're almost on the full moon for this trip.

Edited by cobberman on 02/19/2013 14:06:45 MST.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Re: Updates, Info, Concerns on 02/21/2013 08:09:46 MST Print View

deleted to prevent further confusion

Edited by JacobD on 02/21/2013 17:48:36 MST.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Updates, Info, Concerns on 02/21/2013 09:24:27 MST Print View

What time Friday afternoon? If I can swing leaving work early I might join you for Friday night instead.

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: "Sierra Snowshoe :: Feb 2013" on 02/21/2013 09:41:04 MST Print View

Hope Valley Snow Park is right at Blue Lakes Rd. and Hwy 88. Parking is $5 a day or $25 for the season. No fear of having your car towed at this location. Scotts Lake is just up the hill. We are coming in Friday, set up camp at Scott Lake and would have Saturday to bag Waterhouse Peak or explore Big Meadow and out on Sunday.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Friday on 02/21/2013 09:46:27 MST Print View

Marc - just be cautious on the hike up if you do that. My understanding is that slope (between Scott's Lake and Hope Valley) is avalanche prone. There has been a north east wind blowing, so it may have some loose snow load adding to the risk. Not telling you what to do, just wanting to make sure those things are known to everyone.


removed part of my previous post to prevent confusion

Edited by JacobD on 02/21/2013 17:43:39 MST.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Role Call on 02/21/2013 14:54:30 MST Print View

Unfortunately, Julie and I are out for this one. Hopefully there will be another one in March that we can join in on. Looking forward to the trip report!

Richard Niemi
(rickniemi) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains
Re: Role Call on 02/21/2013 15:15:51 MST Print View

I won't be making this trip. I hope you guys have a great time!

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Sierra Snowshoe :: Feb 2013 on 02/21/2013 15:17:06 MST Print View

Looks like Ellen and I are out too. Hope you guys have a good time.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Sierra Snowshoe :: Feb 2013 on 02/21/2013 17:50:14 MST Print View

Thanks for the updates guys. Hope to catch up with you all soon.


Well after all the back and forth it seems the Grubb Hut hike wins out after all.

Will have to save Waterhouse Peak for spring when we can park somewhere without issue.

Edited by JacobD on 02/21/2013 17:51:27 MST.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Sierra Snowshoe :: Feb 2013 on 02/21/2013 18:24:18 MST Print View

Coit Lake this weekend at Henry Coe St Park- 13 miles from the park HQ.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Sierra Snowshoe :: Feb 2013 on 02/21/2013 22:22:51 MST Print View

What's up Jay...I know for a fact you stole at least two snowshoers from our trip. ;)

All I can say is the coldest night I can remember was at Henry Coe State Park.

Have a great trip.