Jacob passed the following information on to me to post when BPL came back online.
"CHP...said that the turnout should be plowed, the parking lot (where my book says to park) is not plowed and is closed. Parking in the turnout or along the highway is ok as long as not signed for no parking *HOWEVER* if snow removal conditions occur it's possible that our vehicles may be towed. He also mentioned they've had some break in's out there when vehicles have been parked overnight. He recommended parking in Christmas Valley, which is about 2 miles up the road from the trailhead, or parking at the sno park in Hope Valley, which makes for a shorter but steeper hike to Scott's Lake in avalanche prone terrarin (from what I've read). That sounds less fun.
So, if the weather looks clear we should be good, other than some break in risk.
If the weather is uncertain, or snowing we'd have to park 2 miles away, and hope we find parking.
It might not be the best idea for a group trip unless everyone is on board with the risks."
I believe Jacob will respond later this evening. I mentioned to him that we could still plan for the Big Meadow to Scott's Lake route pending weather and the number of interested parties. If there is greater interest and/or the weather forecast calls for snow, we should probably look at doing the trip out of the Sno-Park lot near Donner and choosing a camp near Peter Grubb hut.