Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
does anyone make such a hat?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
does anyone make such a hat? on 01/23/2013 23:02:47 MST Print View

I'm looking for a baseball style hat that has 1) a crown made of breathable/mesh/or non-WP/B material and 2) a bill that is waterproof.

I'm hoping to use the waterproof bill to supplement the hood of a rain jacket but I don't want the the rest of the hat to be a sauna.

Thanks!

Edited by Konrad1013 on 01/23/2013 23:03:22 MST.

Todd Taylor
(texasbb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: does anyone make such a hat? on 01/23/2013 23:15:27 MST Print View

?

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W-ish
Montane Pace on 01/23/2013 23:16:05 MST Print View

Not exactly within your parameters, but this eVent baseball cap was designed to work with the Spektr smock and might meet your needs: http://www.montane.co.uk/range/accessories/pace-cap

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: does anyone make such a hat? on 01/24/2013 00:09:54 MST Print View

How about buying a breathable cap that you like and goving the bill a triple dose of DWR treatment? There are all kinds of cheap mesh trucker's caps. A mesh runner's cap or a sun hat like the OR Sun Runner could do double duty I fair weather.

Perhaps a silnylon sheath could be made for the bill, or even the bill and front panel?

I like idea. Many a bad hood has been fixed with a baseball cap. The bill would keep the spray off you face and glasses.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Patagonia... on 01/24/2013 00:15:52 MST Print View

I have been eying this one for a while but have yet to buy one. Side vents and DWR and pretty light.

http://www.patagonia.com/ca/product/vented-longbill-cap-50-upf?p=29285-0-243

R K
(oiboyroi)

Locale: South West US
Sun Runner ... on 01/24/2013 00:54:09 MST Print View

... ought to do the trick. I dunno what's in the bill but its waterproof. The outer fabric gets wet but you can angle it down so the water drips off. Havent noticed any wicking in either. Bought mine in '06 ... I think the new ones are the same.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: does anyone make such a hat? on 01/24/2013 03:19:27 MST Print View

What if you took a cheap mesh trucker hat and coated the top of the bill with something like seam seal?

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Coatings on 01/24/2013 10:09:52 MST Print View

You could probably do the thinned silicone thing to coat the bill too. There must be some clear spray something or other that would do the same. All said and done, some heavy duty DWR like Tent and Gear Proof would be good 'nuff.

Most of these caps have a chunk of plastic in the bill. You just need to keep the fabric from wetting out and think about the seam between the bill and cap body.

I just remembered those painters caps at Home Depot. They are super light (and cheap) and have a plastic bill.

Edited by dwambaugh on 01/24/2013 10:13:46 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: does anyone make such a hat? on 01/24/2013 10:28:40 MST Print View

Not what you are looking for but REI sells an eEvent baseball cap. In a light rain or drizzle I find it more comfortable to wear my hood down I am cooler. When the rain gets worse I pull up the hood.