Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Backpacking Girl Scout troops
Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Backpacking Girl Scout troops on 01/22/2013 12:35:19 MST Print View

Anyone in these forums run, or involved with, Girl Scout troops that backpack?

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Backpacking Girl Scout troops on 01/22/2013 13:06:12 MST Print View

Once upon a time.

My daughter's Senior Girl Scout troop did a lot of backpacking out here in the PNW. They went to England for the big annual Gathering of Girl Guides, and over the years, visited three of the four International Girl Scout Houses, missing only the one in India.

Program content in any youth organization is directly related to the enthusiasm of the participants and the availability of adult leaders who share - or can tolerate - those activities. If you have the interest and the skills, volunteer. Your daughter will love you all the more for it.

As a former professional scouter for the BSA, I heartily recommend a strong outdoor program for Girl Scout units of all age. Just keep the level in line with the age, interest level, and abilities of the girls involved. It beats sitting around earning what passes for rank and patches these days. The aim is to develope strong willed, self-confident young women to be the mothers and leaders of tomorrow. Challenge them. They'll never know how far they can go unless and until they try. Let them fail until they succeed. Failure is also a learning tool.

end rant.