Forum Index » GEAR » Ultimate Directions AK "Race" pack

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Bruising and sloshing on 10/01/2013 05:00:42 MDT Print View

Mike - no idea what you look like under clothes. I'm about 6% bf @ 135 lbs 28" waist 38" chest. I maintain my upper body in addition to running and no padding there makes for easier bruising. Anyone with more padding or the body of a preteen probably wouldn't experience my issues.

Eugene - it annoys me initially but gets tuned out after the first few miles.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Bruising and sloshing on 10/01/2013 07:20:42 MDT Print View

Craig- the running has come along pretty nicely (albeit I'm not fast, much more like the tortoise)- I wish I would have "discovered" it years ago :)

Eugene-I haven't been bothered by any sloshing w/ the bottles, there are times when I'm forced to use a bladder and there is sloshing, but much like Chris it tends to get tuned out after awhile

Chris- my wife thinks pretty good :) 6% body fat is really low, I'd guess mine at 10-12%- maybe that's the difference; I strength train very regularly- so I doubt that would account for any difference

Peter Bakwin
(pbakwin) - F
Re: Re: Bruising and sloshing on 10/02/2013 08:14:30 MDT Print View

For 2014 UD is coming out with a soft bottle. This is a very cool innovation that works extremely well with the vests and should eliminate the bruising issue. It can also eliminate sloshing if the soft bottle is used correctly, since there is no need for air to enter the bottle.

The Adventure Vest has pockets that are between your body and the zippered hip pocket. I often put my bottles in those as a secondary location. There is a small loop of shock cord that you can use to secure the bottles. Just another option. I find this particularly useful when doing technical climbing when the bottles up front can get in the way.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: Re: Re: Bruising and sloshing on 10/02/2013 09:19:21 MDT Print View

Thanks for the insider feedback Peter. I was initially interested in the SJ vest as well as yours but read about sizing issues since the side compression isn't there. I don't have a thick chest so being able to adjust that on the AK forced my decision. What are your thoughts on this?

Any photos of the soft bottles you can share?

Peter Bakwin
(pbakwin) - F
UD vests / sizing / bottles on 10/02/2013 12:50:18 MDT Print View

Sorry, I don't have photos of the bottles. Stay tuned! Yes, the vest thing is a little tricky with regard to sizing. The AK and PB come in 2 sizes, and the SJ in 3. We hope that about covers everyone, but really it's not possible to account for every shape and size of person with a product like this. I believe UD is going to add adjustment straps to the SJ and PB in 2014 without changing the vest style. That should help with some of the sizing issues, and with tweaking the fit as the vest is more or less full of gear. UD will also have a women-specific vest in 2014.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

soft bottles on 10/02/2013 18:36:44 MDT Print View

^ that will be a great addition, looking forward to that :)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: soft bottles on 10/02/2013 18:40:30 MDT Print View

Salomon already makes/sells soft flasks for running, if it's the same thing y'all are talking about.

http://www.backcountryedge.com/salomon-soft-flask.aspx?utm_source=GoogleMerch&utm_medium=dfm&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D&gclid=CJf21OG2-bkCFcuZ4AodLFkAhg

Edited by idester on 10/02/2013 20:47:30 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: soft bottles on 10/02/2013 19:12:21 MDT Print View

^ interesting

I'm guessing that the UD ones will be 20-22 oz as that seems to be the de-facto running bottle size, but maybe not??????

Peter Bakwin
(pbakwin) - F
UD soft bottles on 10/03/2013 08:55:45 MDT Print View

The prototype I tested was 20-22oz & there was also a smaller bottle. I don't know what the final product will be, but I guess not too far different.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: UD soft bottles on 10/03/2013 09:54:10 MDT Print View

How do these upcoming UD soft style bottles work with water and electrolyte type liquids? I know the soft sided Hydraflask works great for more viscous fueling supplements like Perpetuem and gels. They also roll up nicely and take up little space in the storage pockets once emptied. I keep picturing myself wrestling with a floppy structure-less water bag while running. Salomon's answer to this was an odd glove/handheld system that just seems fussy and gimmicky.

Peter Bakwin
(pbakwin) - F
Re: Re: UD soft bottles on 10/03/2013 17:44:47 MDT Print View

It's a good question, but I don't know. I've used them only for water. I can't imagine there would be any problem with sports drinks, which are essentially the same viscosity as water. Remains to be seen how well they will work with gels. I tend to drink a fairly concentrated sports beverage (i.e., 1000+ cal of powder in a 24 oz bottle), so I'm interested to see how these will work for that.

F. R.
(fugitiveride) - F

Locale: Syldavia
AK vs. Mountain Hardwear. on 07/28/2014 00:06:03 MDT Print View

Has anyone seen a comparison of the AK vest to the Mountain Hardwear vest?

Also, have you tried carrying your phone in the front pocket? I like to use my phone to take pictures, so I want it accessible.

I currently have the Salomon S-Labs 12 pack, but I don't like it b/c it's hard to remove and also a bit more pack than I need.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: AK vs. Mountain Hardwear. on 07/28/2014 07:09:05 MDT Print View

I own the MH Fluid 6 which looks like the same harness setup as the vest. The vest looks like they've added bottle holders up front-this is a new feature- can't comment on how well it works w/ bottles, but the harness setup works well. I'd rate it as effective as the AK vest.

I recently purchased a Osprey Rev 1.5, it doesn't have bottle holders up front (nice hydration setup however), but does have a dedicated pocket for a smart phone that's pretty slick. It carries extremely well, I've been using it exclusively this season.

F. R.
(fugitiveride) - F

Locale: Syldavia
Osprey on 07/28/2014 08:12:17 MDT Print View

Why did you switch? Also, what's the largest bottle size you've used in the AK?

Edited by fugitiveride on 07/28/2014 08:15:20 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Osprey on 07/28/2014 18:36:38 MDT Print View

I have a weakness for packs :) Once I did try it though, I think I made a good choice- the pack really carries like a dream.

just the basic 20 oz running bottles, don't like the UD ones so switched them for Nathan ones

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
MH on 07/29/2014 00:22:05 MDT Print View

Just thought I'd chime in about the MH. I've used the MH fluid vest on quite a few runs and hikes since april, and I love it. I've also tried on an ultimate direction, and taken a couple runs with a salomon s-lab hydro 12 and I like how the MH vestpack carries better. The bottle pockets on the front are perfectly suited for softflasks, and with those, it has the least bounce out of any pack that I've used. There's enough room to carry a phone in the same pocket as a softflask, or depending on the size of the phone, there is a zip pocket between the bottle pocket and your chest where my droid moto g fits.

What I like about the MH is that its as simple as can be, and it fits like cloths. I've found to keep other vests from bouncing, you have to really crank down the straps, which constricts your breathing too much. This one is just more ergonomic and you can leave it looser on all but the fast techy downhills.