Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Another MYOG Trek Pole thread - 3.3oz per
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Pole moddin on 02/08/2013 13:29:39 MST Print View

Thanks for the info and link, Brendan! I may be asking you some questions down the road a bit.

I agree too about the hole in the market...and particularly on the lighter end of poles at a more reasonable cost than the GG LT4s.

Michael Ray
(thaddeussmith) - F
mine on 03/02/2013 15:37:51 MST Print View

here's my pair. the graphite shafts were free on craigslist and the grips/tips are from gossamer gear. the shafts are similar in composition and flex, but they were different brands .. so i scuffed them up with sandpaper and sprayed them with 3 coats of that classic (albeit obnoxious) red. then i sprayed both ends in black using 2 coats of rustoleum bed liner. this gives nice abrasion protection at the bottom and some grip towards the top for choking up on the shaft while going uphill or wrapping cord for tent support. I still need to get baskets, so no idea on final weight; I also don't have a scale that measures oz, however the needle doesn't even move on my shipping scale.trekking poles

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: mine on 03/02/2013 18:44:38 MST Print View

Look good Michael! I like the bedliner spray idea. I've noticed mine are getting scratched quite a bit towards the bottom.

Ryan

Michael Ray
(thaddeussmith) - F
thanks! on 03/02/2013 19:02:54 MST Print View

I took them for a quick 3 mile spin around the property and definitely like them so far. the bed liner spray is about $7 a can, so I've never used it on an actual truck bed. I've gone through many cans, however, on small projects when I want a good durable surface - two coats should be more than enough to "armorize" your poles.

one note about gorilla glue. I got the clear kind that dries white and claims to dry 2x as fast. I put a long bead on my pole and began shoving it into the grip. It started to setup almost immediately and I ended up with about 1/2 an inch of space in the top of the grip that isn't supported by shaft. on the second pole, I only put a line of glue on the bottom half of the shaft that would be inserted and I managed to easily get the grip on before everything set up. I went ahead and left the same amount of gap on that one for consistency sake. so, be advised.

weighed them at my parent's house today. 3.6oz for each pole ..the paint must make them heavier.

Edited by thaddeussmith on 03/03/2013 16:10:20 MST.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Baskets?? on 03/04/2013 11:51:05 MST Print View

Why people use small pole baskets in summer is beyond me. They are extra weight and don't add any function.

Andrew Skurka, who treks in damn near every condition does not use pole baskets in non-snow conditions, even in tussock areas.

Winter snow baskets are all one needs, and then only in snow.

But pole straps on the other hand, if used properly like cross country skiers do, are very useful. They assist greatly in descents and always keep forearm and hand muscles from fatigue.

Michael Ray
(thaddeussmith) - F
Re: Baskets?? on 03/04/2013 11:54:12 MST Print View

because it looks cool, duh.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Baskets?? on 03/04/2013 16:30:23 MST Print View

They do look cool. Plus, a basket will help keep the shaft from getting lodged down in crevices, and thus less chance to break your fancy CF pole. At 7g, I figure why not. Unless Skurka hikes with 3oz poles probably not apples to apples.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 03/04/2013 16:39:33 MST.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Baskets on 03/04/2013 17:20:41 MST Print View

Small baskets kept my LT4's from dropping into small crannies and snapping countless times along the PCT. IMHO, for a few scant grams, baskets are a no-brainer.

Michael Ray
(thaddeussmith) - F
Re: Baskets on 03/04/2013 17:22:02 MST Print View

i see a market for a new bracelet... "WWASD"

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Baskets?? on 03/04/2013 17:58:13 MST Print View

No baskets unless there is snow for me. Not using straps allows me to let go if i get stuck. They fit in my Osprey storage bungee better with no baskets.

Re: using straps like xc skiers.. problem is that while your foot is down you are a stationary object that pushing with your arms does not move. Unlike skiing where you are gliding. on flats poles are for balance.. like a mogul skier.. tap and step. on uphills I use them like extra hand holds to pull my body up so i don't have to push as much with my legs. downhill i tend to use the very tops of the grip and lower myself down or slow my momentum.

maybe it's the rock climber in me but i did 500mi last summer with no hand fatigue from hiking poles.. and the Whites and Greens have some of the toughest ups and downs you can find so it isn't for not trying.

Michael, I'm curious how you found shafts on Craigslist for free..

Edited by JakeDatc on 03/04/2013 17:59:27 MST.

Michael Ray
(thaddeussmith) - F
re: free shafts on 03/04/2013 18:02:33 MST Print View

it took about a week, but someone contacted me with some used clubless shafts taking up space in his garage and said I could have them. They ended up being a little longer than 42" (good thing) and my total trekking pole length is 47", about an inch short of a perfect 90 degree elbow bend. not a deal breaker.

here's the ad i posted:

wanted: ~42" graphite club shafts (pair)

Looking for a pair of shafts to use in a trekking pole project. Either bare shafts or junk clubs with good shafts. Want to spend as close to $0 as possible, price negotiable.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: re: free shafts on 03/04/2013 18:25:30 MST Print View

Nice, I'll give it a shot. do you remember what the shaft length was? i'd be aiming for 45-46" total for my "happy medium" 116cm length.

i wonder if BD or Leki would sell a spare grip.. i have one spare grip from a broken pole with an ID of 18mm.. not sure if that will be too wide or not.

Michael Ray
(thaddeussmith) - F
Re: Re: re: free shafts on 03/04/2013 18:35:14 MST Print View

i think they were right around 45". The GG grips and tips fit almost entirely on the shaft, so not much buffer length is added by those pieces.

you'd be surprised what people are willing to do if you just ask. craigslist is that perfect medium with which to ask. :)

Edited by thaddeussmith on 03/04/2013 18:36:18 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: re: free shafts on 03/04/2013 19:54:51 MST Print View

"you'd be surprised what people are willing to do if you just ask. craigslist is that perfect medium with which to ask. :)"

hmmm... I always just leave stuff on the street and put a "free" sign on it

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: re: free shafts on 03/04/2013 20:16:43 MST Print View

if you want it gone faster, put a curb alert on CL and POOF gone.

Gregory Allen
(Gallen1119) - M

Locale: Golden, CO
Re: Another MYOG Trek pole thread and Free golf club shafts on 03/04/2013 20:20:04 MST Print View

I went to the local Golfsmith store, offered to buy a couple of old used shafts, and the guy gave me two for free. I added $3.50 Leki replacement tips from the REI discount bin with gorilla glue. I've hiked with the golf club grips, but will probably replace those this summer if I get around to it. Added straps from an old lanyard with a small screw. Don't collapse, aren't adjustable, no baskets, no idea of flex amount, and i havent painted or weighed them, but they work for me. They are just stupid simple and cheap.