(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Re: Re: Better than Caldera on 02/02/2013 22:47:31 MST Print View

When will they be ready to buy?

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
foster on 02/02/2013 23:43:59 MST Print View

love my flat bottom foster pot.

But I have rust appearing in the bottom seam in spots where the coating on the steel bottom has failed. Not a big issue mind you. Just points to room for improvement. Like a TI bottom maybe?

Getting close to my tealight setup with my pot. 2.0 oz. 1.62 if use tent stakes thru an Al windscreen to support the pot. boils in 7.5 min.

I dont find Ti foil is necessary at all. In fact doing the math, I find zero benefit from it unless use .002, and even then its only like .1 oz. Not worth the cost.

Edited by livingontheroad on 02/02/2013 23:51:15 MST.

Karple T
(ctracyverizon)

Locale: Mid-Alantic
"Titanium Windscreen Design" on 02/03/2013 10:23:10 MST Print View

Brilliant !!! - Take my money ... Please.

Put me on your list for the first run!

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: "Titanium Windscreen Design" on 02/04/2013 19:30:48 MST Print View

Thanks MB and Craig, glad you like it.

I did test 1 of 3 tonight. I'm testing for durability of the stainless steel grate and the ability of the windscreen to withstand high temperature and have no warping occur.

I'm well pleased with this Titanium technology. 1st test was a success, no warp and welds help up nicely on the grate.

This is a photobucket video, click on it to view:

<center>

</center>

MB, this ti that I'm using is .005 and is tough stuff for the windscreen to function as a wood burner also. No warping after use so that when used for alcohol it is nice and round for even distribution of heat going up the sides of the pot. As we now know, the ridges on the Foster can create turbulance which is good for maximising heat transfer.

More tests tomorrow. Thanks for your comments.

Anyone else out there making a windscreen out of Ti?

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Re: Re: Better than Caldera on 02/04/2013 20:30:56 MST Print View

Dan,

When ever they're ready to be sold I'll take one.

I love the design and simplicity, I already have your Starlite stove and love it, can't wait until these are ready.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Re: "Titanium Windscreen Design" on 02/04/2013 20:39:19 MST Print View

Anyone else out there making a windscreen out of Ti?

Suluk46 and qiwiz both make a titanium windscreen. Different designs though.

EDIT: Forgot about LiteTrail. They've got a Ti windscreen as well.

Edited by cobberman on 02/05/2013 09:39:28 MST.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: "Titanium Windscreen Design" on 02/05/2013 07:08:47 MST Print View

I'm working on this as fast as I can. Yesterday I had a plumbing project that took up most of my day. Members are adding great information. I'm changing the design as the info comes in. Little things mean a lot. David Gardner suggested roughing up the surface of the Foster can. If I brush the surface of the Foster cans I can increase speed in boiling. I'll do that to day and include those in my retesting of the stove in the alcohol mode. Raising the holes a short distance from the bottom of the windscreen eliminated the puckering that occurred while in the wood burning mode. I'll brush a few cans to see how they work out. Thanks David G.

Because I created a wide stainless steel pot support I am now able to use aluminum bottoms on the pots. So what we have up to this point is flat aluminum bottom pots with ridges and brushed surface for maximum heat transfer and speed of boiling. Makes me think of fast food restaurants on the trails. Instead of going inside to eat we go to the "fast" drive through:-))) At times I forget there are speed hikers out there wanting to complete the hike in the fastest time possible.

More testing and making of the stainless steel pot supports. That will bring me closer to finished kits.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Brushed with Ridges on 02/05/2013 09:49:44 MST Print View

I brushed one up and added a few more ridges for extra turbulance. That should be able to suck in a lot of heat.

2.5 cup capacity, flat bottom Foster can brushed/w ridges, aluminum bottom and lid weighs in at 22 grams.

This can weighs 22gr Has aluminum bottom and lid and has the ridges.

<center>

</center>

EDIT:
Eric, thanks for the links. I was more interested if there were any DIY windscreens in progress. A while back someone had a really complicated one in the works. I'll see if I can find it.

Edited by zelph on 02/05/2013 09:55:53 MST.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
"Better" than Caldera Cone?? on 02/05/2013 16:15:57 MST Print View

Maybe a teensy bit faster to deploy than a CC but I'll bet money it's definitely NOT better in heat efficiency than a Caldera Cone.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: "Better" than Caldera Cone?? on 02/05/2013 17:45:59 MST Print View

It's better IMHO.

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Locale: San Diego County
Dan - I've made one on 02/05/2013 18:11:24 MST Print View

Dan - I've made a Ti (.005" thickness) windscreen designed around the wide 900ml Ultralight Ti Evernew pot and your Fancee Feest stove. Criteria was for the windscreen to roll up and fit inside the pot complete with stove and fuel bottle. It works well for me

Ti windscreen

Fits in 900ml Pot

Edited by RichardCullip on 02/05/2013 18:16:02 MST.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: "Titanium Windscreen Design" on 02/05/2013 18:37:59 MST Print View

Very interested to see if brushing works well for you too, and especially with the ridges.

Tried to upload a photo of a conical windscreen I make with .005" Ti from Titanium Goat, but the "Insert Image at Cursor" button doesn't seem to working right now. Will try again later. Used the Zen Stoves cone designer software - sweet.

I've found that .003" stainless steel works well too, weighs only a couple grams more (24.6 vs. 22.1 for this particular design), and is a lot less expensive for the material. Doesn't have nearly the coolness factor, but it polishes to a mirror-like finish on the inside to reflect more IR back into the pot. Another thing I'd like to test to see if it makes a measurable difference.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: "Titanium Windscreen Design" on 02/05/2013 18:52:13 MST Print View

Here's that picture of my titanium cone windscreen for use with beer can pots.Ti Cone

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Dan - I've made one on 02/06/2013 17:52:48 MST Print View

Hi richard C. your windscreen looks like it should work well. You are the first I've heard of to be useing the Fancee Feest stove in a cone. Dose the pot sit on the stove? I can see the change of color caused by heat concentrates near the pot handle cut-out. I suspect that is true with other cones made for your type of pot. Anyone out there have the same heat pattern on their Ti windscreens made by Trail Desings?

I finished my wood burning heat tests today and all went well.

I welded up a batch of SS pot supports. I made a change in the design. I made them full circle for maximum maximum pot support. Pot support is now the same diameter of the pot bottom. The little ridge on the bottom of the pot prevents the pot from sliding off.

The pot support and a StarLyte burner together weigh in at 17 grams.

Brushed aluminum, flat bottom pot and lid weigh 22 grams

<center>
</center>

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Re: Re: Dan - I've made one on 02/06/2013 22:46:18 MST Print View

Yes my pot sits on the stove. It's not supported by the windscreen. I like the setup for boiling water for Freezer Bag Cooking. Here's a view without the windscreen:

Here's the pot supported by the stove

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
Re: Dan - I've made one on 02/07/2013 05:47:05 MST Print View

Richard,

Very nice-looking clone. Well done!

Did you have any trouble folding the tabs, as I've found Ti is more fragile than Al, since it's nowhere near as ductile? I usually recommend making Ti tabs narrower, or splitting them in two.

Edited by captain_paranoia on 02/07/2013 05:50:24 MST.

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Re: Re: Dan - I've made one on 02/07/2013 19:33:36 MST Print View

Thanks Kevin. I couldn't have made it without your cone design script. I was a bit worried about folding the tabs in the Ti foil but didn't have any problems with them once I actually did them. I just used a small scrap piece of the Ti foil as a spacer and bent the tabs over that.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Dan - I've made one on 02/07/2013 20:15:35 MST Print View

What alloy of Ti are you guys using that you can bend it over like that?

I had to put this project on hold for a couple of days to process 144 Foster cans. I ran out of 2 designs. Got to play catchup now.

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Re:Dan - Don't know the specific alloy on 02/07/2013 21:10:26 MST Print View

Dan - I don't know the specific alloy. I got my Ti Foil (.005") from Titanium Goat and built my windscreen from that Ti Foil. It's pretty springy stuff. I have to be careful when I roll it up for storage. It wants to spring open so I'm careful to keep my fingers safe from sharp edges in case it slips and springs open. I roll it tight enough to fit inside the Fancee Feest stove and then my fuel bottle goes inside the rolled up windscreen and it results in a neat compact pckage that fits inside my 900ml wide Evernew Ultralight pot.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re:Dan - Don't know the specific alloy on 02/07/2013 21:29:44 MST Print View

"I have to be careful when I roll it up for storage. It wants to spring open so I'm careful to keep my fingers safe from sharp edges in case it slips and springs open."

You might want to check out the method that Trail Designs uses when they ship a Sidewinder. They roll the titanium up and slide that into a Tyvek sleeve, and the sleeve is stored inside the cook pot. This is a round paper/cloth tube, so it doesn't weigh much. The rolled titanium can't really jump out of that.

--B.G.--