Hyperlite Mountain Gear Porter 4400 Backpack Review
Display Avatars Sort By:
Philip Tschersich
(Philip.AK) - F

Locale: Kodiak Alaska
Slow email on 01/10/2014 13:29:27 MST Print View

I asked HMG a query via email but they are a bit slow in responding, so I'll ask it here too....

I have seen HMG's recommended pack fit procedure, but I was wondering about back panel lengths between pack sizes. I have seen a small Southwest pack, a medium Ice pack, and medium Porter 4400 in person. The small SW had a distance of 18" from the shoulder strap attachment point to the bottom of the hip belt/lumbar pad. The same measurement on the medium Porter was 20". Is it safe to assume this back panel length measurement increases by 2" as you go up in pack size (i.e., the large would be 22" and the tall would be 24")? Does someone have a size large or tall handy they could hold a tape measure to? The stock hip belts and lumbar pads are all ~4" tall, I assume.

Was there an upcharge for customization (an extra strap sewn on, or making a modular hip belt-lumbar interface)?

TIA

IVAN DOMINGUEZ TEJERA
(idtejera) - MLife

Locale: CANARY ISLANDS
wet tarp in my new pocket on 01/14/2014 10:45:07 MST Print View

I am a new owner of the HMG 4400 Porter, but I talked to Mike for him to make a modification. Mike designed a pocket mesh in the front. For me it is important to keep the wet stuff out on a pocket mesh, but also the Daisy chains are importants where I can tie more things in my trips with Packraft.

Some pictures:

pocket mesh in black porter 4400 HMG with paddle for packrafting

pocket mesh in black porter 4400 HMG

Regards
Ivan Dominguez.
www.planetapackraft.com

Edited by idtejera on 01/14/2014 10:49:00 MST.

Andrei Tudor
(andrei_tudor) - M
Re: wet tarp in my new pocket on 01/14/2014 12:25:48 MST Print View

It looks good. How come your pack is black? Did you dye it yourself, or is this a new option from HMG?

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: wet tarp in my new pocket on 01/14/2014 13:06:54 MST Print View

A mesh front panel pocket really adds a lot of volume and utility for little weight. I stow my sit pad and rain gear, ready for instant use without opening my pack and pawing through everything. I do like having a buckle at the top.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: wet tarp in my new pocket on 01/14/2014 17:46:32 MST Print View

The No-Pocket Controversy

"For me, perhaps, I grew up toting around single compartment rucks with nothing more than ice axe loops and the occasional top lid (which I often cut off, finding that it interfered with the ability to secure a bunch of gear under the climbing rope strap). I’m a huge fan of this very simple and aesthetically clean approach to wilderness packing." RJ

So you guys aren't to only ones with a new pocket...

PackPockets
Chase Jordan likes them too.

Ripped from Winter Cabineering, by RJ

Edited by greg23 on 01/14/2014 18:55:07 MST.

IVAN DOMINGUEZ TEJERA
(idtejera) - MLife

Locale: CANARY ISLANDS
Re: Re: Re: wet tarp in my new pocket on 01/15/2014 16:21:52 MST Print View

The black color is an option you can to ask HMG, this will be available soon on its website.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/551761391818669289/
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=82057
http://hikeventures.com/gear-review-hmg-porter-4400-black/

The black cuben is stronger but is 10% more expensive

HMG has the option of pocket stuff but I think that the mesh fits better on my necessities because is more simple, less weight and I always use it in my trips.

Cheers

Philip Tschersich
(Philip.AK) - F

Locale: Kodiak Alaska
Back panel lengths on 01/15/2014 16:30:35 MST Print View

To answer my own question, I am posting the response I got from HMG on the distance between the top shoulder strap attachment point and the lower edge of the lumbar pad/hip belt:

Med - 20 1/4"
Lg - 22 1/2"
Tall - 23 1/2"

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Black on 01/15/2014 21:16:42 MST Print View

I have a black pack and hate the color. Not because I don't like the color black; but because a black pack makes it harder to find things inside. Especially in a low light situation. Or in a bright light situation for that matter.

Billy