Forum Index » GEAR » Spinning Rod

Display Avatars Sort By:
Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Locale: North East
Spinning Rod and Reel on 04/09/2007 17:24:44 MDT Print View

I'm looking to bring a lightweight rod and reel on my next hiking trip. According to Cabella's customer service, their Graphic Telescopic Rod is 3.6oz. I'm thinking of pairing it with a Shimano AXUL 5.3oz reel.

Anyone else have any rod/reel combo's they can suggest [non fly fishing]

Thanks

Edited by fperkins on 04/09/2007 17:31:12 MDT.

Peter Surna
(PedroArvy) - MLife

Locale: Melbourne
Me too on 04/09/2007 17:32:21 MDT Print View

I am also in the market for a spinnnig rod. From what I have read on other forums, multi-piece rods are superior to telescopic rods in action and durability. I have heard telescopic rods can break more easily than multi-piece rods.

Edited by PedroArvy on 04/09/2007 17:32:53 MDT.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
Re: Me too on 04/09/2007 18:24:51 MDT Print View

Before you spend the money on a graphite tele rod get a cheap fiberglass one to play with, durability is a real problem.
Pack rods are nice but I've gone back to using a standard twopiece that I pack inside a fluorescent lamp protector, you can cut them down to any length and the lamp end caps secure them in place with a 35mm film canister lid snapped in.
Of course packrods are really nice ,eeck--- editing added here----
Well I'm willing to eat my words, for $19.99 buy that sucker and tell me how it works.

Edited by pyeyo on 04/09/2007 18:28:34 MDT.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
OOOh! OOOh! YES! YES! on 04/10/2007 22:30:20 MDT Print View

Me too. I have an ancient(1969) Berkely 5 pc. fiberglass spin/fly rod. The 6' 6" Cabela's telescoping spinning rod is just right for my UL Penn spin reel. I'm ordering one TODAY.

Plus a telescoping rod can be left "set up" W/ the reel & line ready to go, unlike a take-down rod.

Thanks so much for posting this item. God, I love these backpacking forums.

Eric B.

Edited by Danepacker on 04/10/2007 22:31:21 MDT.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Frank, re: I have that rod. on 04/10/2007 22:55:32 MDT Print View

Frank, I bought that exact telescoping rod last trip to the US, and carried it back here for fishing in Japan. I also bought a tiny enclosed reel and a basic set of lures and tackle. I dont "know" how to fish, per se (and certainly not how to fly fish). I'm going to just bait a hook and see what I can catch.
I expect in a month or two I will start using it on Spring hikes. The rod comes with a protective sack; I can carry it in the side pocket of my pack.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: Spinning Rod and Reel on 04/11/2007 06:07:58 MDT Print View

Frank,

I prefer fly rods, but for a little variety at high lakes, I have a lightweight spinning rod that's sold/auctioned on eBay by Cooks of Oregon. Cooks mostly makes nice custom lightweight fly rods, some of which can be broken down to 4 pieces. But they also make a few ultralight spinning rods. The spinning rod that I bought from Cooks is a Forecast RX6 Graphite (SB720-4) that's 6' long, designed for 4#-8# line.

I chose the above rod because it's pretty light at 3.10 oz and breaks down to 4 pieces that easily fit a 20"x2" tube.

The current eBay listing for the above spinning rod is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Graphite-Travel-Pack-rod-6-4pc-Lt-spin-fuji_W0QQitemZ140105456021QQihZ004QQcategoryZ36150QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cook's didn't provide a tube for the spinning rod, but BPL sells good lightweight tubes in 24" and 36" lengths, which can be cut down to fit the rod you have. When cut to 20" length, the 2" wide version has a weight of about 3.58 oz.

For the above rod, I have a Pflueger 4410 Microspin UL Spinning Reel from Cabella's. It weighs 5.89 ounces w/o line, a little lighter than the 6 oz weight described at the Cabella website. Cabella's listing of this reel can be found at the following link:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20333&id=0037062120893a&navCount=1&podId=0037062&parentId=cat20333&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20333&hasJS=true

Price of the rod on eBay: Starting bid $109; Buy Now $119
Price of the reel at Cabella's: $24.99
Price of BPL's 24" x 2" rod tube: $12.74 (member price)

If you ever consider giving flyfishing a try on trips into the backcountry, might check Cook's eBay listings for a lightweight fly rod that's reasonably priced. Their 6'6" 2 wt fly rod breaks down to 4 pieces, weighs 2.4 oz, and fits a 21" x 1.5" BPL rod tube. Abel's Trout series fly reel which weighs 3.9 oz w/line (the TRL version) matches the above 2 wt fly rod nicely, as does Ross' Colorado #0 reel (weighing 3.4 oz w/o line). Both of these reels have been discontinued but can be found on eBay or maybe on a dusty shelf in a fly shop.

JRS

Theodore Vidnovic
(vidnovic) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Spinning rod on 04/11/2007 10:30:28 MDT Print View

I picked up a telescoping rod/reel combo from WallyWorld for ~$25 last year. The reel was a bit heavy for my taste, but I had a 3 oz. spinning reel laying around from one of my ice fishing rigs. Togehter they made a nice, light, and compact rig.

Edited by vidnovic on 04/11/2007 10:31:42 MDT.

G Cowen
(coweng) - F
St Croix Premier Spin Travel Rods on 04/11/2007 11:41:35 MDT Print View

travel rods are considerably better the telescopic ones.

St. Croix Makes Great travel rods...

Premier Spin Travel Rods

MODEL LGTH PWR ACTN PCS LINE WT LURE WT ROD WT
(oz) HNDL PRICE
PS60LF4 6' L Fast 4 4 - 8 1/16 - 5/16 2.8 2 $150.00
PS66MLF3 6' 6" ML Fast 3 4 - 10 1/8 - 1/2 4.3 4 $150.00
PS70MF3 7' M Fast 3 6 - 12 1/4 - 5/8 4.6 5 $150.00

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
try this site - compactFishingGear.com on 04/11/2007 20:39:39 MDT Print View

They have telescoping rods from light weight to saltwater. I recently took one on a weeklong trip and had no trouble hauling in pike. I fashioned a rod tip cover that velcros around the reel - so that I can carry the rod with the lure on in an outer pocket of my pack. Stealth packing/fishing. ( I couldn't always wait until we set up camp to fish)

Good luck

Dave

Robert Burns
(Ledcactus@yahoo.com) - F

Locale: Cascades / Olympics (WET)
Weight, Wait, Wate on 04/12/2007 12:48:37 MDT Print View

Its all about the weight. Dont carry a fishing rod thats more than an ounce. Use this if your going to use anything for fishing... http://www.rei.com/product/750651

Good luck, Happy trails

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Re: Weight, Wait, Wate on 04/12/2007 15:46:30 MDT Print View

Don't you think an Ocean Kayak is overkill?

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Maybe Ill bring a Fly Rod on 04/12/2007 15:53:08 MDT Print View

Well, I started this thread trying to find a light and cheap rod and reel for casting. Of course, as most people obsessed with equipment weight and packing and coordinates, I started to think that maybe a fly rod would make more sense. Unless I found a lake or deep stream, it would be hard to fish with a spinning rod and reel.

So I did some more research, which of course, is most of the fun and I think if I go for a fly rod and reel, Ill buy:

Cabela's Stowaway 5 piece travel fly rod. The 7'6" rod is 2.4 ounces according to their customer service rep.

I would also pair it with the Graphic Fly Reel which is 3.5 ounces and only 20 bucks.

The only problem I have is I never been fly fishing so I'll have to practice in the back yard. I have done plenty of casting fishing, so it can't be *that* hard. Any thoughts? I know BPL had a UL fly fishing kit, but it's not in stock anymore.

Edited by fperkins on 04/12/2007 15:54:52 MDT.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: Weight, Wait, Wate on 04/12/2007 16:22:05 MDT Print View

"Its all about the weight. Dont carry a fishing rod thats more than an ounce. Use this if your going to use anything for fishing... http://www.rei.com/product/750651"

is this a joke?

Mike Schnorr
(mschnorr) - F
Spinning Rod on 04/12/2007 17:32:59 MDT Print View

Anyone tried this thing?

Ultralight Collapsible Fishing Pen Rod

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
take some classes on 04/12/2007 20:33:01 MDT Print View

If you've decided to buy a $100 fly rod and pair it with a $20 reel, don't forget the backing-fly line- leaders tippets and flies. If you've never fly fished, I would recommend taking a few casting classes - one for ponds and one for river casting - it is not as easy as you think. It can get pretty frustrating especially if the banks are full of brush. If you are decent with a spinning rod, you may want to take a few spinners and go for it.

Just my thoughts, I do both fly and spin.

Good luck,

Dave

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Re: Spinning Rod and Reel on 08/10/2007 15:02:20 MDT Print View

I decided to go with a traditional rod and reel.

The rod and reel come in at 9oz total without line and lure. I think I can save some weight if I cut off the bottom 6 inches of the rod... although I'm not ready to do it after only having it for a few hours.

I also think I can find a lighter reel.

My next trip is for the beginning of Sept. so Ill let you know how it worked out. Now to work on that fish chowder recipe...rod and reel

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Another way to fish on 08/10/2007 15:23:46 MDT Print View

I have a Streamlines casting handline that I carry when I want to fish. It can be used with flies or lures. It's principle advantage is size - no clumsy real or long rod. And it's fun!

Works especially well with a casting bubble.

Edited by jbrinkmanboi on 08/10/2007 15:27:50 MDT.

Andrew Richard
(fairweather8588) - F

Locale: The Desert
travel fly rod? on 08/10/2007 15:32:03 MDT Print View

dont discount the travel fly rod made by March Brown. http://www.graywolfflyfishing.com/servlet/the-FLY-FISHING-RODS-cln-MARCH-BROWN-LTD-cln-Hidden-Water-Series/Categories This may be the finest travel rod you can buy. Much better quality IMO than a "store brand" (although i have owned and used cabela's rods, they are ok) When you get a 5 weight fly rod, use 6 weight line and dont skimp on line quality. You'll look to pay around $35-40 on a good floating line that will really take the headache out of the whole ordeal, compared to a wally world shelf brand. Trust me on this one.

Frank Perkins
(fperkins)

Re: Another way to fish on 08/10/2007 18:03:47 MDT Print View

Also great if you want to do some backcountry kiting!

Darrel Etter
(darrel) - F
Spinning Rod, or Fly Fishing on 08/10/2007 18:48:21 MDT Print View

Fly fishing is way more fun. Spinning rod fishing is dragging a meat hook across the lake in an attempt to antagonize a big fish into chasing it. You just kill the most aggressive fish in the lake and degrade the gene pool. And, those lures are heavy. Fly fishing you must know entomology. You must BE the aquatic insect in order to fool the fish into biting it. You really need to know so much more about the nature of the fish and the bio-life of the lake or stream to know fly fishing. The first think you do when you approach the water is shake the bushes around the water to see what insects are hatching, turn over rocks in the water to see what insects are in the water, and look into the sun to see swarms of mating insects. You become part of their environment. Isn't that a big reason why we go backpacking? Fly fishing and backpacking naturally go together.

I always seem to out-fish spinner fisher-persons in areas where there is any pressure on the fish. Fish learn that a meat hook racing through the water is not food. A properly presented dragon fly nymph will way outperform. If the water is very lightly fished, spinning rods may have an advantage, but then it is just as easy to catch them on a fly so why not have more fun?

I'm not out there to live on fish meat like some folks fantasize. It would be un-wise to carry less food and depend upon fish meat. When you catch a fish on a spinning lure, they swallow it deep and almost assuredly they will die. A fish gently slurps up a fly in the normal way it eats and spits it out if it doesn't taste like food so the fly hook only catches it on its very strong lip cartilage. It is very easy to gently release the fish while still under water (after a quick picture) without injuring it. Please leave those beautiful Golden trout, cutthroats, browns, and rainbows there so I can have a picture of them too. You can eat the brookies, they get stunted if there are too many :)

And, of course, you can fly fish with a casting bubble from a spinning rod (dry fly or nymphing) very effectively. That must be lighter gear than those heavy meat hooks. I always bring a casting bubble with my fly rod too, but I far prefer traditional fly fishing.