Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Info on Sawyer Squeeze filter? Help finding other threads?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Info on Sawyer Squeeze filter? Help finding other threads? on 01/17/2013 19:31:06 MST Print View

I want to get a simple water filter for a thru-hike and general camping use. Here are my goals:

-Lightweight
-No Expiration (Example: Running out of tabs, replacing batteries, replacing filters)

The Sawyer Squeeze seems like a great filter to use because it weighs 3 ounces and filters 1,000,000 gallons of water. But, the bags are supposedly prone to leaking. Is there another bag I can use in lieu of the provided ones, or are the threads proprietary? Can I get an adapter to use something like a Platypus bottle?

The top Amazon review also tells me to check Backpackinglight for extensive info but I can't seem to find anything. Can someone provide a link if they have it bookmarked?

Thank you!

-Max

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Info on Sawyer Squeeze filter? Help finding other threads? on 01/17/2013 19:34:29 MST Print View

New redesigned for 2013 Ron from MLD just posted some info last night or so.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Really? on 01/17/2013 19:39:40 MST Print View

Do you have a link?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re:Yes, Really on 01/17/2013 19:47:14 MST Print View

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=195

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

WOOHOO! on 01/17/2013 20:48:10 MST Print View

Thank you Ken. I actually found the old thread and spent an hour looking at 7 pages of information. I was actually trying to figure out the best way to machine an adapter from an old Platypus cap and a cut-up Sawyer pouch, etc... and then I checked this and MLD has solved all of my issues!

Wonderful! Question answered :)

Edited by mdilthey on 01/17/2013 20:51:43 MST.

Michael Driscoll
(Hillhikerz) - F

Locale: Monterey Bay
love it on 01/18/2013 06:35:05 MST Print View

I use this inline with the MSR prefilter also inline and a 4gal. solar shower for large hiking groups in camp. Works great. During the day with a 1l. Soda bottle. Good to see they replaced the bags.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Sawyer bags on 01/18/2013 08:50:33 MST Print View

I actually like the bags that come with the Sawyer. I carry two and avoid squeezing them too hard.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Will Post a Review on 01/18/2013 13:12:32 MST Print View

Just ordered the Sawyer with the 2013 bag from Mountain Laurel Designs. I'll post a review when it comes in, since nobody else has that I can see yet.

Cheers,
MD

Harris Goldstein
(hmgolds) - F

Locale: Minnesota
New vs. old style bags on 01/26/2013 18:55:03 MST Print View

Anyway to tell the difference between the new style bags and the old style?

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

The Difference on 01/26/2013 20:39:29 MST Print View

The old ones are a triple-layer "foil" with a laminate. The new ones are tough plastic. The new filter only comes with one plastic bag, and the old one comes with three foil bags.