Forum Index » Photography » Reccomend a camera for me. Quick please ;)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Reccomend a camera for me. Quick please ;) on 01/18/2013 13:38:05 MST Print View

Newegg happens to have the Panny GX5 w/ kit zoom for $300, which is quite a deal. It cannot take an auxiliary viewfinder and it's possible the instructor prefers a camera with a viewfinder (the Panny G5 has a built-in EVF--highly recommended). At least it will have full manual controls (a typical photo course requirement) and the format allows for shallow DOF to accomplish subject isolation via aperture. The good news--it will make a great backpacking camera, as it's very small and light.

I'd avoid compacts for a photo class--too many limitations.

Good luck,

Rick

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
still looking on 01/18/2013 14:38:52 MST Print View

I think im either going to get a sub $200 point and shoot, or spend the money and get a $500 DSLR.

This is really a lot to take in, I need another day atleast before I buy.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: still looking on 01/18/2013 15:57:02 MST Print View

Five years ago, I segued off of a serious photographer friend's extensive research and got the same Pentax Optio W60 for a Grand Canyon float trip because of the extremes of waterproofness and shock resistance it offered. It also offers a pretty wide-ranging optical soon (5mm - 25mm) but contracts into a pack-of-cigarettes-sized unit so it's always in your shirt pocket (on a leash) ready for use. It's got more modes and settings than I'll ever use and it does video.

Around town, mostly I use my iPhone just because I always have it with me. But I learned long ago that salt water kills phone INSTANTLY and so I'll throw this Pentax in my pocket for a day on the ocean, beach, river, etc, when I leave my phone in the car or in a sealed dry box.

Undoubtably, Pentax has a newer model of a it-takes-a-licking camera with more megapixels by now. Or, when I last looked there were some W60s in oddball colors (pink) new on ebay.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Fuji hs30 on 01/21/2013 15:40:06 MST Print View

I am probably going to buy the Fujifilm Finepix HS30EXR tomorrow morning.

Its on sale and its going to be under $300 out the door.

Here is a link http://www.costco.com/Fujifilm-Finepix-HS30EXR-Digital-Camera-Bundle.product.11755954.html#BVRRWidgetID

Thanks for everyones help, but I am such a noob I dont think I am ready for an expensive SLR.