Forum Index » Photography » Reccomend a camera for me. Quick please ;)

Display Avatars Sort By:
michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Reccomend a camera for me. Quick please ;) on 01/17/2013 19:22:01 MST Print View

Im actually taking a digital photography class and need to buy something this weekend. So most likley it needs to be a common model found in stores. I dont really care if its DSLR because I am a huge noob so as long as the camera is capable of high end shots...

I'd like a return policy if things dont work out, and my budget is around $450, but honestly If I can spend $150 -200 then that would be better. Also, it would be nice if It was light enough for backpacking, but mainly its for this class.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Recommend a camera for me. Quick please ;) on 01/17/2013 19:30:32 MST Print View

If you are taking a digital photography class, then ask the instructor what kind of camera is recommended. Many instructors are very specific, even if your requirements are vague ("capable of high end shots").

--B.G.--

Edited by --B.G.-- on 01/17/2013 19:31:17 MST.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

re on 01/17/2013 19:32:31 MST Print View

It depends, because not all students can afford high end DSLR's which is what he wants.

Just start naming cameras guys, please. I need to buy something tomorrow...

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: re on 01/17/2013 19:34:34 MST Print View

Cheap, high quality, and you can grow with it....I'd go Nikon D3100 or Nikon D5100 (better but a bit more money).

michael levi
(M.L) - F

nik on 01/17/2013 19:59:29 MST Print View

That Nikon seems reasonable, should I bite the bullet and go DSLR then? What about decent point and shoots? Is there such a thing?

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Reccomend a camera for me. Quick please ;) on 01/17/2013 20:06:27 MST Print View

as long as the camera is capable of high end shots...

That could be your smartphone camera, depending on how large you want to print. You just need the vision and creativity to make it work.

That said, the D3100 is probably the cheapest you'll get a decent dSLR for new. A compact model like the Canon S100 <strike>wouldn't have the manual exposure controls you likely need for the class.</strike>

Edit: S100 does do manual! (Thanks Michael R.)

Edited by requiem on 01/17/2013 21:34:25 MST.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Reccomend a camera for me. Quick please ;) on 01/17/2013 20:48:58 MST Print View

You can shoot the S100 in full manual mode, choosing ISO, shutter speed, aperture, focus, exposure compensation, flash compensation, white balance. Certainly not as fast to tweak it as a full-size camera. And it's small, light and can shoot RAW. $279 at Amazon.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

cameras on 01/17/2013 20:53:45 MST Print View

Ive been researching all the ones you guys posted, keep em coming! thanks

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: cameras on 01/17/2013 21:12:47 MST Print View

www.dpreview.com

pick one

michael levi
(M.L) - F

re on 01/17/2013 21:22:02 MST Print View

Wouldnt even know where to start...

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Recommend a camera for me. Quick please ;) on 01/17/2013 21:54:45 MST Print View

Often in the description of the photography class there will be a mention of the type of camera gear that is expected. If it is not mentioned, then the instructor will tell you.

--B.G.--

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Reccomend a camera for me. Quick please ;) on 01/17/2013 22:19:57 MST Print View

Cannon G11

michael levi
(M.L) - F

nikon? on 01/18/2013 00:10:28 MST Print View

What do you guys think about this $150 camera, Nikon Coolpix L610.

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Choices on 01/18/2013 00:15:30 MST Print View

If you are taking a photography class, I'd recommend getting a dSLR. I'm a Canon guy but that Nikon D3100 is a good deal. While many of the compact cameras also have manual mode, it's not always easy to quickly change various settings because of smaller form factor and typically fewer buttons which sometimes means you have to switch modes to change a particular setting like aperture. If you want something in between a dSLR and a compact, seriously consider the Fuji HS30EXR for just under $300.

Fuji HS30

good luck.

Mike

Edited by rcmike on 01/18/2013 00:17:24 MST.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

fuji on 01/18/2013 00:49:44 MST Print View

I looked at that Fuji, what about its less expensive version the Fujifilm S4500?

michael levi
(M.L) - F

this? on 01/18/2013 02:53:57 MST Print View

for $150 for a bundle, will this camera do closeups though?

http://www.costco.com/Fujifilm-S4500-Digital-Camera-Bundle.product.11752018.html#BVRRWidgetID

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: this? on 01/18/2013 06:09:57 MST Print View

Most point and shoots have a macro mode, and it looks like that camera is no exception. Don't let the big, complicated exterior fool you though, that camera has the same tiny sensor as every other P&S, it just has a giant (relatively speaking) lens stuck in front of it.

If you keep it out of low light situations you should be able to get adequate pictures with it, just know they aren't going to have the detail or dynamic range on something with a larger sensor. You'll also never be able to get the shallow depth of field people seem to associate with "high quality" photographs.

If you're going to go shopping today, try looking around for deals on older model Olympus or Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras. You might be able to find a good deal on an Olympus EPL2 or Panasonic G3 which will both be leaps and bounds better than that Fuji. I had a G3 for a time and really liked it. I wish I could have kept it but I had to fund a new Nikon body so I sold it. I'll probably buy another MFT camera at some point so I can have a "small" camera.

Take a look at this to get an idea of the differences in sensor size:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside_-_updated.svg

Adam

Edited by aroth87 on 01/18/2013 06:10:56 MST.

Bruce Tolley
(btolley) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
recommend a camera on 01/18/2013 09:00:13 MST Print View

A Canon G11, G12, or S100 would fit your requirements.

Some of theses cameras are now shipping without a printed manual. whatever you get, make sure you have access to the complete user manual or you will be really frustrated trying to set up features like exposure or flash compensation or spot metering.

Nick H
(galway) - MLife
Check into mirrorless on 01/18/2013 09:33:39 MST Print View

I would skip on getting a point and shoot if you are actually interested in photography. DSLRs are great and I love mine, but bridge or mirrorless cameras might are worth looking at. They are smaller, but usually have the same level of controls and interchangeable lenses. There are usually good deals to be found on entry level Panasonic models. Right now you can get a GF5 with lens for $300. Nikon 1 series cameras are another option if you want small. Lot of good deals have been floating around for Nikon J1 and V1 cameras.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830180503

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: Check into mirrorless on 01/18/2013 12:05:55 MST Print View

I'm a photographer at a university and do some (limited) teaching.

The problem with most point and shoot cameras is that you don't get as much manual control over the camera, and even with that limited control, you will find it difficult or impossible to get certain effects.

That said, I've had a few students use p+s cameras and they did learn something. (Usually learned that they wanted a DSLR. :)

Your local big box or Costco or whatever will have a very limited selection, but really any inexpensive DSLR from Nikon, Canon, Pentax, or even Sony will be fine. It will come with a "kit" zoom lens, which is also fine. It shouldn't be hard to keep this under $500. Don't feel like you need the latest model -- a previous generation will be fine, and usually much cheaper.

If you can hold out a couple of days, you can buy a used camera and lens kit from KEH.com. I've been using them for years. Buy something a couple of years old and get it for way less. They have a D3100 kit for $400 and a D5100 kit for $465. Call up and ask them for advice.

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Reccomend a camera for me. Quick please ;) on 01/18/2013 13:38:05 MST Print View

Newegg happens to have the Panny GX5 w/ kit zoom for $300, which is quite a deal. It cannot take an auxiliary viewfinder and it's possible the instructor prefers a camera with a viewfinder (the Panny G5 has a built-in EVF--highly recommended). At least it will have full manual controls (a typical photo course requirement) and the format allows for shallow DOF to accomplish subject isolation via aperture. The good news--it will make a great backpacking camera, as it's very small and light.

I'd avoid compacts for a photo class--too many limitations.

Good luck,

Rick

michael levi
(M.L) - F

still looking on 01/18/2013 14:38:52 MST Print View

I think im either going to get a sub $200 point and shoot, or spend the money and get a $500 DSLR.

This is really a lot to take in, I need another day atleast before I buy.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: still looking on 01/18/2013 15:57:02 MST Print View

Five years ago, I segued off of a serious photographer friend's extensive research and got the same Pentax Optio W60 for a Grand Canyon float trip because of the extremes of waterproofness and shock resistance it offered. It also offers a pretty wide-ranging optical soon (5mm - 25mm) but contracts into a pack-of-cigarettes-sized unit so it's always in your shirt pocket (on a leash) ready for use. It's got more modes and settings than I'll ever use and it does video.

Around town, mostly I use my iPhone just because I always have it with me. But I learned long ago that salt water kills phone INSTANTLY and so I'll throw this Pentax in my pocket for a day on the ocean, beach, river, etc, when I leave my phone in the car or in a sealed dry box.

Undoubtably, Pentax has a newer model of a it-takes-a-licking camera with more megapixels by now. Or, when I last looked there were some W60s in oddball colors (pink) new on ebay.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Fuji hs30 on 01/21/2013 15:40:06 MST Print View

I am probably going to buy the Fujifilm Finepix HS30EXR tomorrow morning.

Its on sale and its going to be under $300 out the door.

Here is a link http://www.costco.com/Fujifilm-Finepix-HS30EXR-Digital-Camera-Bundle.product.11755954.html#BVRRWidgetID

Thanks for everyones help, but I am such a noob I dont think I am ready for an expensive SLR.