Feathered Friends light-weight jackets are no longer made in USA!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Made in America on 01/20/2013 14:25:51 MST Print View

Judy, congrats on the new LLC!

Have you moved production of your tents to this new business?

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Southern Textiles on 01/20/2013 15:07:18 MST Print View

I think that's a great idea, Judy. The South is full of layer off textile workers. My town is the headquarters of Fruit of the Loom. We no longer manufacture underwear but there are loads of mostly women with tons of sewing expiencefrom the days when we made underwear. You may have a similar pool there. I would think they would be perfect for this low volume work.

Marc Penansky
(MarcPen) - F

Locale: Western NC
Made in America on 01/20/2013 16:52:41 MST Print View

Yes, the production of all LightHeart Gear tents will now be made by Excelsior Sewing. I still have some stock of the tents made in China, when they are sold out - never again. I am committed to do what ever it takes to keeping the production here, and to help other small companies keep their products made here as well.

You can contact Excelsior Sewing at - judy @ excelsiorsewing. com (remove the spaces) 828-333-0489

Chase Norton
(Micronorton) - F
Made in America on 01/22/2013 12:05:26 MST Print View

Simply incredibly Judy! Great idea!

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Made in America on 01/22/2013 12:13:12 MST Print View

Good on you, Judy!

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Made in America on 01/22/2013 16:41:52 MST Print View

Great news Judy! Best of luck to your new venture.

Ryan

Jacob Smith
(Wrongturn) - MLife

Locale: The Soda
Re: Made in America on 01/23/2013 18:43:24 MST Print View

Ashvegas is a great town for such a venture.

Buck Nelson
(Colter) - MLife

Locale: Alaska
Max makes a lot of sense on 01/24/2013 07:28:04 MST Print View

And +1 to the following:

I agree with Max, on pretty much everything he wrote. Not that it matters, but it's nice to have someone put it so well.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Max makes a lot of sense on 01/24/2013 08:18:32 MST Print View

I am going to buy the best product I can, based on my budget. I am not going to buy an American made product just to be patriotic, but I prefer to buy American. Function and quality come first.

A few years ago I was in the market for some new leather boots. My Danner Mountain Lights were over 20 years old. The new Danner models had Gore-Tex linings, which I did not want. I could have my old Danners completely rebuilt by Danner for the cost of a new boot. But I was concerned that they would damage the Cambrelle linings and replace them with Gore-tex.

So I started my research. Seems that the old familiar brands I had known from my youth were now mostly made in China. And the reviews I read from people who had owned previous models that had once been made in Europe or America were not stellar. Most complained about quality. Now this is not necessarily the fault of the Chineese, the manufacturer's determine how they want the product made. But I wanted no part of these inferior boots - compared to what used to be made.

So I narrowed my search down to two brands. Custom made Limmers or German made Lowas. The Limmers were more than my budget, but I seriously considered them until I found out the waiting list was several years.

For the most part, the reviews for the Lowas were stellar, they were made in Germany, AND the price was comparable to what the Chineese made brands were charging.

I bought a pair of Lowa Banff's. Excellent boots. But, alas, I have moved on to trail runners. I ocassionally wear the Lowas. Most of the time they reside in a place of honor in my closet next to my old Danners, my old Pivettas, my patent leather dress shoes and my tuxedo.

Edited by ngatel on 01/24/2013 08:21:14 MST.