Forum Index » Gear Deals » Free Shipping on Ultralight Stoves, Cook Kits, Tarps & Trekking Poles

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Locale: Northern California
Free Shipping on Ultralight Stoves, Cook Kits, Tarps & Trekking Poles on 01/16/2013 19:46:22 MST Print View

Inspired by several MYOG threads I have launched a new cottage business making ultralight stoves, cook kits, tarps and trekking poles: Gardner Outdoor Lightweight Designs (G.O.L.D. Gear). Free shipping for members of BackPackingLight.

Cook kits utilize 25 oz and 32 oz beer can pots, which the stoves are optimized for. Lighter, less expensive, faster and just as efficient as the Caldera Keg-F system.

Tarps are made from polycryo. Light, tough and crystal clear. A fraction of the cost of cuben fiber or silnylon tarps.

Trekking poles are fixed-length, lighter and less expensive than Rota Locura Yanas.

www.goldgearlite.com

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Free Shipping on Ultralight Stoves, Cook Kits, Tarps & Trekking Poles on 01/16/2013 21:41:13 MST Print View

Looks good David. Free shipping for members here, double good. From reading here, anyway to add ridges to your pots for extra strength? Just one thing I noticed that some might question because of durability of beer cans. Folks can do their own, maybe an option? Good line up of products, not just a few items, but mainly stove and pot setups.
A fellow N CA I see.
Duane

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Free Shipping on Ultralight Stoves, Cook Kits, Tarps & Trekking Poles on 01/16/2013 21:55:45 MST Print View

"The 19 gram Ramjet UL also out-performs the Trail Designs Keg-F system. It is almost as fast as the Ramjet ECO, just as efficient, and lighter."

Both of you will be at the GGG. Do I hear contest?

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
questions about poles on 01/16/2013 22:23:04 MST Print View

When you get the chance, can you let us know how much the wrist straps (both regular and long) will weigh...just saw that they were currently left blank on the website. Also, do the replaceable basket-compatible tips come with baskets? Will the price stay the same if someone chooses to go with the basket compatible tips and not the tire stud tips? Thanks.

Edited by Konrad1013 on 01/16/2013 22:25:45 MST.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Free Shipping on Ultralight Stoves, Cook Kits, Tarps & Trekking Poles on 01/16/2013 22:37:44 MST Print View

Duane,

Adding ridges to the beer can pots for strength is next on the agenda. Need to get a bead roller first.

Go NorCal!

David
Trekker Solo

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Free Shipping on Ultralight Stoves, Cook Kits, Tarps & Trekking Poles on 01/16/2013 22:39:58 MST Print View

Ken,

Contest would be fun and informative! Look forward to it next weekend.

David

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: questions about poles on 01/16/2013 22:56:31 MST Print View

Konrad,

I will add the strap kit weights as soon as I can. I'm trying to source some 5/8" polypropylene strap material and D-rings, which will be lighter (and more water and rot resistant) than the nylon straps and plastic buckles I'm presently using. I'm also waiting for some titanium machine screws I ordered to arrive. Using the phat nylon straps and steel screws, the standard length strap kit for the FL poles weighs 0.7 oz per pole, and the long strap kit for the MHP poles weighs 1.0 oz per pole.

Baskets are included with the basket-compatible tips, and add 0.4 oz to the weight per pole. Same price (the tire stud tips are lighter but take more work). Thanks for the question, I will update my web site to make it clear.

Cheers,

David

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Another stove? on 01/17/2013 06:52:38 MST Print View

Oh man! Another stove I need to get. I was gonna quit at 30 stoves, or was that 60? I give up.
Duane

Kevin Buggie
(kbuggie) - M

Locale: NW New Mexico
Re: Free Shipping on Ultralight Stoves, Cook Kits, Tarps & Trekking Poles on 01/17/2013 10:15:18 MST Print View

David,
How do I get the $10 shipping charge reduction when ordering from your Etsy page?

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Re: Free Shipping on Ultralight Stoves, Cook Kits, Tarps & Trekking Poles on 01/17/2013 10:59:05 MST Print View

I was just thinking about that. I should probably say "Rebate on shipping charges" since I don't have a way to get Etsy not to charge for shipping unless I remove the shipping charges for all orders. So I would send you a check to reimburse shipping costs along with your order. Hope that will work for you. If not, tell me what you want to order and when, and I will go into Etsy and remove the shipping charges on that item for several hours, until I see that your order has come through.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Free Shipping on Ultralight Stoves, Cook Kits, Tarps & Trekking Poles on 01/17/2013 11:02:30 MST Print View

Correction: I will rebate shipping charges to BPL members. My web site does not have a way to discount only certain orders. Hope to get it set up to accept "coupons" or a discount code, but that may take awhile.

Joshua B
(leukos) - F

Locale: Chicagoland
Trekking pole with Tenkara on 01/19/2013 21:13:42 MST Print View

Hi, David

I'm interested in the Tenkara trekking pole you are planning to offer. Will it be able to store in the trekking pole as well?

From the website:
"Still in Development: 10' Tenkara Japanese fly fishing pole adapted to fit on the tip of our trekking poles, making a 14' fishing pole!"

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Trekking pole with Tenkara on 01/20/2013 08:37:55 MST Print View

Hi Joshua,

That's a very interesting idea. Hadn't thought of it. I will see if I can make it work for the strapless poles. The strap adapter that I use is bonded into the top of the pole, so it wouldn't work with those unless I develop a new adapter.

Not sure I would choose to store the Tenkara pole in a trekking pole though, since it sort of defeats the concept of an ultralight pole. Also makes the poles "asymmetrical" with respect to weight, though I don't know if that would be a problem.

But I'll take a look at seeing if I could make it work, and post the results.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Trekking pole with Tenkara on 01/20/2013 10:05:54 MST Print View

Hi again Joshua,

Yes, the Tenkara pole can be stored in one of the strapless trekking poles. Had to remove a couple of sections of the Tenkara pole to get it small enough to fit inside, but it works. Results in a total length of 11' when assembled.

Joshua B
(leukos) - F

Locale: Chicagoland
Trekking pole with Tenkara on 01/21/2013 21:31:56 MST Print View

David,

Thanks for taking the time to experiment for me! I normally use a 12' Tenkara so the 11' would be just fine. I often use just one pole when hiking anyways so the added weight wouldn't effect me. When do you think this product might be available?

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Trekking pole with Tenkara on 01/21/2013 23:05:38 MST Print View

Available next week, after the (Great) Gathering of Gear Geeks this weekend. Just remember that storing the Tenkara pole inside only works with the strapless pole(s), and only with the plain carbide tip (not basket-compatible).Plain carbide tip

Thayne N
(teethless) - MLife

Locale: SF CA
!! on 01/23/2013 12:12:03 MST Print View

Good looking stuff David!

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: !! on 01/23/2013 13:55:27 MST Print View

Thanks Thayne! Need any samples for your next thru-hike?

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
Wording... on 01/25/2013 18:02:47 MST Print View

Interesting site with some cool looking new stuff. I have to admit though, the term "Shaft Skin" may not correlate with something people plan to hold in their hands while hiking...

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Wording... on 01/27/2013 17:34:01 MST Print View

Ozzy,

Pretty funny. "Shaft Skinz" is a brand name. Can't help it.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Final Month for Free Shipping on 02/17/2013 16:44:26 MST Print View

March is the final month of my free shipping promotional offer to BPL members. Actually it's a shipping rebate that I will send on request, since Etsy doesn't have a way to enter promo codes.

View my web site at www.goldgearlite.com

Order at www.etsy.com/shop/GOLDGearLite

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Locale: Boston
polycryo on 02/23/2013 07:24:21 MST Print View

how does the polycryo tarp hold up in heavy winds and such? my experience with the material makes me think you would have to be very delicate with it, more so than Cuben even?

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: polycryo on 02/23/2013 10:03:08 MST Print View

Steven,

There is a discussion of polycryo durability that is part of the following thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=59450

It's pretty durable stuff. I have had my tarps up in winds to 25 mph, others say they've had theirs in winds up to 50 mph. I've had this tarp pitched in my back yard since September through wind, rain and freezing temperatures, and there has been no failure of the membrane or tape tie-outs.
Torture-testing Polycryo Tarp

That being said, I believe cuben fiber is more durable. It's also $30/yd vs. $12 for an entire 7' x 9' tarp.

Steven Adeff
(TinCanFury) - F

Locale: Boston
Re: Re: polycryo on 02/23/2013 15:34:56 MST Print View

Awesome, thanks, lots of reading!

You should consider making a hammock tarp (with and w/o doors) and advertise on hammockforums.

I figure Cuben is the next best option as far as light materials, so a good comparison option, especially at the price.

Paul Mason
(dextersp1) - F
Tube Tent? on 02/23/2013 16:07:25 MST Print View

Have you considered adding something like this?
It looks a little narrow to me, I like tubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKUGh3ZOhWM

Bill Reynolds
(billreyn1) - M

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains
Free Shipping on Ultralight Stoves, Cook Kits, Tarps & Trekking Poles" on 02/24/2013 07:18:09 MST Print View

Do you have any pics or video of the stove/system in operation? Curious about the cone and the pot stability. The cone doesn't appear to have any holes for the stakes? Thanks Bill

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Free Shipping on Ultralight Stoves, Cook Kits, Tarps & Trekking Poles" on 02/24/2013 10:39:09 MST Print View

Bill,
Here are some pictures of the stove in operation. Pot stability is excellent, because the pedestal on the stove fits perfectly into the base of the beer can pots. Cone stability is also very good, and in high winds the cone can be staked down directly or the stakes can be used to support the pot, which weights it down. The cone has two sets of holes for the stakes. One set of holes is about 1/2 way up, for use when burning Esbits or with the alcohol stove in winds. The other set is on the top, for use when burning wood.in useesbitwoodstablewood 2

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Tube Tent? on 02/24/2013 10:51:18 MST Print View

Paul,
That video is one of the things that inspired me to make polycryo tarps. The tube tent looked a little to small and narrow to me too. It would be sure to wet the sides of your sleeping bag/quilt with condensation. I do like how it seals up tight though. Thought about making a bigger tube with two sheets of polycryo, but didn't see much advantage vs. a low-pitched tarp and groundsheet. Bug protection is better with tube, but I use a polycryo poncho/ground sheet and like the versatility and using one thing for two purposes.

Bill Reynolds
(billreyn1) - M

Free Shipping on Ultralight Stoves, Cook Kits, Tarps & Trekking Poles" on 02/24/2013 12:50:08 MST Print View

Thanks David I'll be ordering mine.

Phillip Damiano
(Phillipsart) - M

Locale: Australia
Stove on 02/25/2013 14:26:40 MST Print View

How long can you send one of those stoves out. i live in Australia, but will be using a mail forwarder, I have a package leaving in the next few days from my mail forwarder at Hawthorne CA. You still offering free postage for members?

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Stove on 02/25/2013 16:58:29 MST Print View

Yes, free shipping to members inside the USA. If I get it out today before 6 pm via USPS Priority Mail it can still get to Hawthorne in time.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Re: Re: polycryo on 02/25/2013 17:00:06 MST Print View

Steven, thanks for the tip. I will look into hammockforums.

Phillip Damiano
(Phillipsart) - M

Stove on 02/25/2013 18:00:39 MST Print View

How do I order?

Phillip Damiano
(Phillipsart) - M

Stove on 02/25/2013 18:07:50 MST Print View

I wouldn't mind getting the Ramjet ECO Ultralight Backpacking Stove with Titanium Windscreen, but will need one of those plastic containers for storage you have shown in the kit's. Is that possible? Also you have any video footage of the stove in action?

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Stove on 02/25/2013 18:26:44 MST Print View

Go to www.etsy.com and enter "goldgearlite" and you will see all of the items in my "shop" there. Then it's just point and click.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Stove on 02/25/2013 18:34:27 MST Print View

No video of the stove in operation yet. Still trying to get it done, but my landlord just lost his home in a short sale and gave me 60 days notice to move so I'm kind of distracted from that task. Will try to get it done this weekend and post it to YouTube.

If you want the Ramjet ECO stove and Ti windscreen and plastic container, why not just order the Trekker Solo Ti cook kit? It's only a few bucks more and you get a complete kitchen.

thrillhouse 617
(thrillhouse)
ordering on 03/05/2013 15:49:44 MST Print View

ordering a pair of poles! looking forward to them

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Locale: Lost in the mountains
GoldGear poles on 03/05/2013 17:08:44 MST Print View

My poles are ordered as well. Can't wait to get them.

Bill Reynolds
(billreyn1) - M

solo Ti Trekker on 03/05/2013 19:12:59 MST Print View

I got my solo Ti Trekker cook kit and am really impressed. Thanks David!

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Re: Stove on 03/05/2013 19:44:48 MST Print View

David, I can get a video up of your stove working if that will help you out.

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Locale: Lost in the mountains
Stove video on 03/05/2013 19:52:03 MST Print View

I'd like to see that video, too.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Re: Re: Stove on 03/05/2013 19:52:55 MST Print View

Justin,

That would be incredibly cool and helpful. Thanks man! I'm in the process of moving and everything is kind of crazy around here right now.

Thanks again,

David

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Stove Video on 03/06/2013 17:57:24 MST Print View

I put together a quick video of setting it up and lighting it. Hopefully it can help you all get a better look at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf8GGJ-ztjQ

David, is there anything you want me to add to the video description?

Edited by justin_baker on 03/06/2013 17:57:54 MST.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Stove Video on 03/06/2013 18:08:54 MST Print View

hyper link to video.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Re: Stove Video on 03/06/2013 18:12:12 MST Print View

Hey Justin, thanks a million. Nice quick demonstration.

One thing to note, you're using the stakes for alcohol burning in "wind stable" and "Esbit burning" mode. Normally when burning alcohol the can pot sits directly on the center pedestal of the stove (see picture below), unless the wind is blowing so hard that it pushes the windscreen around. Then you would use the stakes so the weight of the pot keeps everything in place. Also when burning Esbits one removes the alcohol stove and the can pot rests on the stakes.

Thanks again, you're way ahead of me on producing YouTube videos.alcohol mode

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Re: Stove Video on 03/06/2013 18:16:31 MST Print View

Ah man, I knew I was doing something wrong. The flame was burning out a little too fast. I have been using it lately as a wood stove and it's worked great for that.