Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Your Avatar

Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 14:43:05 MDT Print View

Self Portrait on Crestone Needle with Crestone Peak in the background. The next day on Crestone Peak the weather was so socked visibilty was no more than 10 feet. Mini hail and sleet was plinking off my helmet.

But this day on the Needle was beautiful. One of the most fun scrambles I have ever done besides Wetterhon, which was my first.

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 14:48:20 MDT Print View

What a fun thread! Thanks for starting it Doug.

That's me in a cave formed from an old keyhole pourover, Stevens Gulch in the Escalante National Monument, Utah, March 2006. Using a tripod (this was dusk) and an Optio WPi camera.

My hiking partner, an East Indian named Aroh, and I had walked down from our camp just up the gulch to fetch water, since the creek was dry above this spot. We camped underneath an arch at the canyon's edge, one of the coolest places I've ever spent the night in wilderness. Owls howling, lizards all over the place, cacti, poison oak, absolute raw bliss. Stephens is less than sanitized, I highly recommend it for canyon goers.

Phil Barton
(flyfast) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 15:59:57 MDT Print View

New pic is our crew at the Boundary Waters in July 2007. We had a great time. It ain't backpacking but it is sure fun. On this trip we saw a wolf, had a beaver that visited our camp, encountered numerous bald eagles, and caught our weight in fish. Ahhh.

Edited by flyfast on 09/06/2007 13:01:15 MDT.

Nathan V
(Junk) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lake State
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 16:27:18 MDT Print View

Mine is a Lake Michigan sunset I took last october, near the sleeping bear dunes.

My new one is me in Virginia on the AT.

Edited by Junk on 02/20/2008 17:34:03 MST.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 16:39:54 MDT Print View

GrenĂ¥ Strand Denmark

Edited by rogerb on 02/19/2008 12:05:14 MST.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 16:52:25 MDT Print View

March 07 in the Wild Basin area of Rocky Mountain National Park.

Scott Lloyd
(scottlloyd23) - MLife

Locale: Swedish Lapland
re: avatar on 04/09/2007 16:54:25 MDT Print View

Sept. 06, Kungsleden, northern Sweden - I couldn't get the reindeer to hold still for the pic.

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: re: avatar on 04/09/2007 17:16:56 MDT Print View

These are so great! They inspired me to change mine!

This is a photo from last week- it's my son Henry's first backpacking trip, at 11 months old. We hiked (mom too) the Ozette trail on the Olympic NP coast. We stayed at Sand Beach and took day trips from there.

Henry saw eagles, a herd of elk, and seals, as well as racoons and countless bird species. The weather was excellent and he got to play in the sand for his first time. It was AWESOME!

I've dreamed for years about sharing the outdoors with my child. It was incredible to see this first experience and to see how fascinated he was (and how well he slept!)

Here's to a lifetime of family backpackign experiences!

Daniel Benthal
(DBthal)

Locale: Mid-Coast Maine
Avatar on 04/09/2007 17:42:35 MDT Print View

Mine is from a canoe trip to Woodland Caribou Provincial Park in Northwestern Ontario.

Caught a couple of Walleye right off the campsite for dinner.

Dan

Sam .
(samurai) - F

Locale: NEPA
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 20:54:13 MDT Print View

Mine is a favorite spot just off the Mountain To Sea Trail, North Carolina.

Grandfather Ranger District of the Pisgah National Forest.

Edited by samurai on 04/10/2007 17:04:36 MDT.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 21:07:41 MDT Print View

One of the few Big Sky Evolution 2P tents you'll ever see, outside the computer screen. Taken at Sky Camp, Point Reyes National Seashore. March, 2007.

Edited by redleader on 08/14/2007 20:40:18 MDT.

Don Wilson
(don) - MLife

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska
Re: Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 21:30:37 MDT Print View

Nearly all my favorite hiking or climbing memories are cool things done with my family. This shot is me and my wife Karen on the summit of Cerro Yayamari, at just about 18000 feet in Peru. It was an awesome, though pretty easy, climb. Definitely the highest I've ever climbed. And we felt pretty good up there.

When we got down to camp, some locals cooked us potatoes in a dirt oven that they filled with hot stones and wet grass. Then they slaughtered a sheep and we had a feast. A day to remember.

SEE LATER POST - MY AVATAR CHANGED.

Edited by don on 05/10/2007 15:52:15 MDT.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 21:42:05 MDT Print View

My current avatar pic was taken in the Yatsugatake mountain range of central Japan, about 4 hours NorthWest of Tokyo. It has been a dream of mine for years to work and live in Japan, and I finally made it happen.
But, I hope I can have an avatar like Doug Johnson's 'with kid' pic soon. That must be a great feeling. Congratulations Doug!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 23:08:27 MDT Print View

Well, my avatar corresponds to my handle.

Traveling is my favorite thing to do, and I can honestly say that I have never been to a country that I didn't like.

It's one world, and we are all in it together...

Edited by ben2world on 04/09/2007 23:13:11 MDT.

Erin McKittrick
(mckittre) - MLife

Locale: Seldovia, Alaska
Re: Your Avatar on 04/10/2007 13:32:12 MDT Print View

July 2006. In a thicket of alder along the Kvichak River, Bristol Bay region, Southwest Alaska. Part of a month-long expedtion to explore the watersheds downstream of the proposed site of the Pebble Mine (a controversial plan to put one of the largest open pit mines in the world at the headwaters of some of the worlds largest salmon spawning rivers)

Roman Dial
(romandial) - F - M

Locale: packrafting NZ
My Avatar on 04/10/2007 14:31:17 MDT Print View

This is my son Roman packrafting down Ship Creek Canyon last summer. It was day 6 of 7 days of rafting 7 different runs from Class I to Class IV.

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Locale: Midwest US
Re: Your Avatar on 04/10/2007 15:57:47 MDT Print View

Red River Gorge... a marathon hike with my friends. We partied hard the night before. I was pretty hung over the next day from the Woodford Reserve... but hey, it was a cold night! I was still the first one to finish the hike... AND I hiked an extra two miles to bag a geocache AND I found an abandoned 6-pack of cold beer 1/2 way through the hike that I packed out and split with the crew at the end. Man did it taste good. Haha, that was a GOOD DAY!

Tim Cheek
(hikerfan4sure) - MLife
My Avatar on 04/10/2007 20:06:04 MDT Print View

A tarn just west of Nebo Pass in the Weminuche in Southwestern Colorado. The picture was taken the next to the last day of a multiday hike on the CDT.

But, the why is more important than the what.

I picked this photo because it reminds me that with a much lighter pack and better planning, I was able to return and complete a hike that, thirty years ago and when I was in far better physical condition than I am today, I hadn't been able to complete.

Edited by hikerfan4sure on 04/10/2007 20:08:02 MDT.

Greg Vaillancourt
(GSV45) - F

Locale: Utah
Avatar on 04/11/2007 06:41:55 MDT Print View

This is a picture of me before I've had my coffee in the morning.

Stuart Burke
(burkest) - F

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness
Avatar on 04/11/2007 09:15:25 MDT Print View

My avatar is of myself at the Bean lake overlook on the SHT. It is from a day hike my fiance and I went on last july.