Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Your Avatar
Display Avatars Sort By:
Douglas Hus
(Hustler) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 06:43:07 MDT Print View

Tell us about the history of your avatar.

Mine is from my canoe trip around Killarney Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada. (North part of Georgian Bay)

It is a beaver dam lift over.

See "trip report for more pictures"

It is a 15' cedar strip "Osprey" solo canoe.

(there is a spectacular 100 km trail around it as well)

Doug

Edited by Hustler on 04/09/2007 06:44:45 MDT.

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 07:09:00 MDT Print View

Great story Doug- and a beautiful canoe!

Mine was taken with a timer during a solo trip in my favorite spot- the La Bohn Lakes on a shelf of Mount Hinman in the Washington Cascades. I just LOVE this spot.

This trip was a super-quick one (baby at home) but I had the time to go wandering and climbing above the trees and really soak it in. It's like Fairy Land up there.

EDIT- picture changed now- see later post. :-)

Edited by djohnson on 04/09/2007 17:17:35 MDT.

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania
Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 07:23:48 MDT Print View

I am a professional photographer and my Avatar is a photo taken in 1993 between about 1:00 and 3:00 AM after Moonset. The image records 2 eruptions of Old Faithful Geyser and the stars as the earth rotated in 2 hours. The image was taken on a 4" X 5" Linhof Super Technika IV Camera and a Rodenstock f6.8 90mm Grandagon N MC lens on Ektachrome Plus 100 Professional transparency (slide) film. The aperture was about f8 and the exposure was underexposed by about 2 stops and push processed 1 stop. The image could not be taken at the proper f stop due to the lens speed. Additionally the star trails would have looked like they were taken in daylight due to the artificial lights that are around Old Faithful some of which run up into the trees.

Rich

Edited by naturephoto1 on 04/09/2007 07:24:53 MDT.

Steve .
(pappekak) - F

Locale: Tralfamadore
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 07:57:49 MDT Print View

Edited by pappekak on 08/23/2007 08:58:34 MDT.

Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 08:18:26 MDT Print View

Sunset near Thompson Peak in Idaho's Sawtooth Mountains. We were trying to get to Sawtooth lake before it got too dark, and as we hustled up the trail to the lake, we turned around to look back at the peaks. Caught this view just as we passed the last minor lake before reaching Sawtooth Lake.

Scott Peterson
(scottalanp) - F

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 08:30:39 MDT Print View

There are some great images above and elsewhere within this site! It has inspired me to look out for a couple of good ones myself while I am out this season. Too often I capture a picture that does not work in a small format...and I only have candid shots of myself along with other people.

So...my current shot is of the end of a logging road fairly deep in the Trinity Alps. The chartered helicopter flight dropped us and our gear about 200 yards from the China Gulch trail head. Flying from Redding CA up and into the Alps is a 30 minute flight I will never forget! It saved us loads of driving time too! The avatar is mainly for my benefit...so I can remember the good times when I am hunkered down at a desk during the week.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 09:05:02 MDT Print View

My current avatar was taken of me standing on the beach at Ruby Beach this past fall. Olympic National park. My husband took the shot of me, it was raining and we had gale winds. Great memory ;-)

Chad Mason
(porch13) - M

Locale: Arizona
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 09:49:38 MDT Print View

Mine is a shot of me standing in front of Havasu Falls in the Grand Canyon.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 10:44:22 MDT Print View

Porcupine Mountains State Park
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
February 2007

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 11:16:27 MDT Print View

It's me and my wife at this past year's 24 hours of rain, I mean Moab. I was racing the solo men's class.

Mark Larson
(mlarson) - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 11:24:33 MDT Print View

Taken on a warm day in January 06 on a rock outcrop on the top of Sawnee Mountain, the hub of a local park. Used the timer on my trusty old Fuji Finepix A330. It's not really a spectacular shot, but here's the full EXIF data for the photo nerds, anyway :)

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 11:28:46 MDT Print View

Mine is from a trip I did on the Ozark Trail a week or two ago. I ended up getting rained out but got a couple of neat pictures beforehand. Its just an OT trail marker, nothing to too fancy.

Adam

Mark Mendell
(mmendell) - M

Locale: Midwest
New to the site... on 04/09/2007 11:53:33 MDT Print View

Hey everyone. Learning lots.

Mine is from the summer of '06 in the Buffalo Peaks WA of Colorado.

Brian Markey
(bmlaw) - MLife

Locale: Northeast
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 12:43:29 MDT Print View

It is with my sons on top of Mount Major in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire. Below us is Lake Winnipesaukee.

Shawn Basil
(Bearpaw) - F

Locale: Southeast
My Avatar on 04/09/2007 12:44:23 MDT Print View

My current avatar is from the Durango Trailhead at the end of my Colorado Trail thru-hike in July 06.

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Locale: South
Re: My Avatar on 04/09/2007 12:47:26 MDT Print View

My avatar is from an overnight trip on the AT overlooking Connecticut.

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 13:22:48 MDT Print View

A shot of me and my wife (Betsy) along Mt Rainier's White River after completing a 14-day hike of the Wonderland Trail around the mountain in Aug 2006.

It was our first long hike (over 3 nights), our first attempt at UL, and the first time our whole family took a long hike together (including Michael age 22, Rachel age 20, and Brian age 17).

Luckily we did it last summer...the trail is a disaster after the monsoon this fall. Latest estimates are $100M damage.

See the forum on trail reports for many more pictures.

Edited by ewolin on 04/09/2007 13:24:08 MDT.

jim bailey
(florigen) - F - M

Locale: South East
Lafayette 3/05 on 04/09/2007 14:17:46 MDT Print View

A fine looking bunch of folks in this community! Mine was taken by my cousin in March 05 near the summit of mt Lafayette in NH where we testing the limits of a Hex 3 on the summit that night, crazy winds and temps with wind chill around -35 below zero.

Edited by florigen on 04/09/2007 17:32:45 MDT.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 14:29:04 MDT Print View

Doug,

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been wondering about many of these pictures for quite some time now.

- sam_h

Robert McGaughey
(havoc) - F

Locale: North Texas
Re: Your Avatar on 04/09/2007 14:30:58 MDT Print View

Capitol Peak reflecting in the still waters of Capitol Lake just below it on a 14er trip last summer. A truly spectacular peak. Best thing about this pic, I'm not in it! lol