Esbit tabs in opsak in...?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Peter S (masc. über linear logical club)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Esbit tabs in opsak in...? on 01/16/2013 05:31:08 MST Print View

Hello

Where do you store your Opsak/ziploc bag containing Esbit tabs?

In the pot?

An outer backpack pocket?

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
in the pot on 01/16/2013 06:47:05 MST Print View

I store mine right in the pot with no ziploc, just leave then in the blister pack.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
in the pot on 01/16/2013 06:49:31 MST Print View

Same as chad

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
re: ziploc on 01/16/2013 08:04:26 MST Print View

I take mine out of their packaging and double bag them in some mini ziplocs. A mini opsak would be a good idea though.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Esbit on 01/16/2013 08:37:58 MST Print View

In a ziplock in my bear bag as they smell fishy to me even when they are in the original packaging. I've never had any bad encounters with bears with or without esbit so I have no idea if they would be intrigued by the smell but an ounce of prevention....

I've been ransacked by wild boar (no esbit then) and they went after our pen flares. I'm no animal psychologist but my observation has been that anything that smells new to a wild animal is interpreted as a potential food source.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Esbit Storage on 01/16/2013 08:49:39 MST Print View

I leave the tablets in their original packaging.
I store the packets in an OP sack
The OP sack rides in an outside mesh pack pocket.
The OP sack is replaced as needed.

The used packaging joins the rest of my trash in a 2nd OP sack dedicated to trash. The trash OP sack is discarded along with the trash and replaced with a new one at each resupply point.

NOTE: the 12 x 20 OP sack lasts at least a week and gives me extra space to carry SOME of the trash I find discarded along the trail or in campsites. On one JMT trek, I found a rolled thermarest pad and an expensive Katadyn water filter the same day. I dropped them off with the folks at Muir Trail Ranch on the off-chance the owners might backtrack looking for them.

(prse) - MLife

thank you on 01/16/2013 09:00:43 MST Print View

I'll just start by storing the Opsak in the pot then - no problem with bears where i hike.

I should have asked the question more directly:

Is there a health issue storing Esbit tabs in the pot?

- I'll assume not since you're still alive...

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Health on 01/16/2013 09:20:26 MST Print View

I use a titanium pot and there is a Gatorade bottle which has been cut in half which nests inside of the pot. When I'm not in bear country, I keep the esbit in the original package in the gatorade cup. My ti-wing stove is the only thing in a mini zip lock due to the residue of the burnt esbit. I can certainly smell the esbit when I open up my kit but it hasn't had a negative smell or taste effect on the gator-cup or pot.

Added note: I'm unqualified and can't speak to any health concerns. Here's the MSDS for your reading enjoyment http://zenstoves.net/MSDS/MSDSEsbit.pdf

Edited by IDBLOOM on 01/16/2013 09:40:00 MST.

(prse) - MLife

health on 01/16/2013 09:42:39 MST Print View

Thanks Ian, i'll read it right away..

Edit: okay, i've read the Safety sheet...i'll stop eating Esbits for snacks...

Edited by prse on 01/16/2013 09:47:26 MST.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: Esbit tabs in opsak in...? on 01/16/2013 11:52:39 MST Print View

Recent usage of esbit had me store 2 cubes in a ziploc sandwich size bag. I had that ziploc in a plastic disposable grocery store bag. I was traveling at the time and stayed in a motel overnight. While in my room I opened the plastic grocery bag and swooooosh, out came the odor of esbit. The odor passed thru the the closed ziploc to my surprise. Not good :-))))

When I returned home I started a search for something better. I found a supplier of new, obsolete ziploc type bags that are constructed with an aluminum liner to keep contents at their peak freshnes. I purchased 100 bags to test. They are indeed the greatest to keep esbit odor inside the bag. No leakage whatsoever. I also tested the bag in boiling water to see if the seams would maintain their holding power. They passed the test with flying colors. The zip closure is heavy duty to be opened and closed many times. That is a really nice "plus" for a bag used to store a dozen or so esbits. The size is nice and has a gussetted bottom so it stands upright on it's own.
For the odor test I had taken 12 esbits out of their original plastic/foil packages and put the cubes and packaging in the bag. Zipped the bag and then placed it in a new plastic grocery bag. After 24 hours I opened the outer bag with my nose as close to the bag as I could get to insure that the initial smell would hit my nose. Nothing, no odor had migrated out of the aluminised bag. Hooorah!!!!success!!!

I'm inclined to be very comfortable in using this bag to store esbit while it's in my backpack. Same type of bag can be used for other refuse while out on an adventure.

The boil test results says I can now scramble eggs in it without fear of the bag ripping when I stir the eggs once or twice while cooking.

<center>

</center>

click on photo to view video

<center>

</center>

Edited by zelph on 01/16/2013 11:59:40 MST.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Re: Esbit tabs in opsak in...? on 01/16/2013 12:04:05 MST Print View

Hi Dan,

Those bags of remind me of the Mountain House dehydrated meal bags.

I already portion out my 2 serving meals into 1 quart freezer bags so rather than throw away the original bags I could wash and dry them and use them for my esbit storage. It remains to be seen if I get the same results that you got with your bags.

Party On,

Newton

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Mountain House makes me drool on 01/16/2013 12:58:45 MST Print View

Hi John, same here, I thought Mountain House when I began my search. I buy MH in bulk #10 cans and repack when getting ready to go out for a week or weekend. If I have any left in the can I throw in an oxygen absorber pack to keep it fresh. Now with these new bags I think I'll be able to boil in the bag by heating directly under the bag, no pot. I think it was last year I did an experiment with a Mini Fancee Feest stove. Used it directly under a waxed paper container used for chicken broth. I was able to bring 2 cups to a boil in it. So I'm thinking have the Mtn.Hs. in abag, add water, put on top of stove, heat to 180 degrees and let sit for 10 min without cozy. That's not for every one...just me, I get radical :-)))

The zip closures on these bags are really tough stuff. I put 5.5 cups of water in one, zipped it tight, turned it uside down and held great. Water started to seep after about 1/2 min at a snails pace.

Bags are 6.5x10x3.25 inches weigh .4 oz. Hold 5 cups of water. Easily will hols 36 esbit cubes in odor suspension :)