Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Looking for 4-7 day trail in PNW last week of march
Display Avatars Sort By:
Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle)
Looking for 4-7 day trail in PNW last week of march on 01/15/2013 13:28:34 MST Print View

Any good 60-100 mile PCT sections? Or other trails? Looking for a hike in Idaho, Oregon or Washington that won't be covered in snow during the last week of March.

As of right now, I'm considering the Olympic National Forest's Hoh River and Enchanted Valley trails.

Thanks! :)

Josh Greninger
(travis.bickle)
Re: on 01/15/2013 13:35:42 MST Print View

Any long trails through Utah's Zion National Park?

Edited by travis.bickle on 01/15/2013 13:42:13 MST.

Shawn Donnelly
(CanonShooter)

Locale: Western Washington
Re: Looking for 4-7 day trail in PNW last week of march on 01/24/2013 00:42:40 MST Print View

I was in the Enchanted Valley on 4/29/2012 (last year) and there was still several feet of snow. I don't have any idea of what the current conditions are.Enchanted Valley ranger station, Olympic National Park, 04/29/2012

The photo is not very good, it was taken with my ipod but it does show how much snow there was when I was there.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Looking for 4-7 day trail in PNW last week of march on 01/24/2013 07:36:43 MST Print View

Rogue River trail is 40 miles

There are several hikes on the Olympic Peninsula - Ozette to Rialto Beach or Third Beach to Oil City - both about 20 miles

I've done both in March

If you go to portlandhikers.org and click on "field guide" there's a detailed description

Nelson Sherry
(nsherry61)

Locale: Mid-Willamette Valley
Re: Looking for 4-7 day trail in PNW last week of march on 01/25/2013 14:58:19 MST Print View

As mentioned above, the Rogue River Trail would be good (although it is only 42 pretty fast miles) as would any of the 50+ miles of the Olympic Coast. Hell's Canyon is spectacular and could be outstanding in March.

Your not going to get any distance on the PCT even in April or May.

I don't know much about "the Desert Trail" that is supposed to have 100 miles or so of beautiful trail completed in SE Oregon and may have enough trail low enough (i.e. not on the Steens Mtn) to be passable in March.