Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Solo Death Valley Trek

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chase Norton
(Micronorton) - F
Solo Death Valley Trek on 01/13/2013 10:39:07 MST Print View

Recently, with years of help from this community I completed a thru hike of the Koolau Mountain Range on Oahu becoming the first person in the world to do so. Full write up and report can be found here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72060&skip_to_post=614403#614403

We are now turning our sights to Death Valley and hope to create a short film of a solo unaided 10 day winter trek across 228 miles exposing the many faces of this region few see. We've put this up on Kickstarter and have reached 88% of our goal so far with 7 days left. This trek will of course be executed following the ul mindset and philosophy:

http://kck.st/SKJP6Z

Safe Trails,

Chase

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Solo Death Valley Trek on 01/13/2013 10:42:32 MST Print View

Nice way to fund a vacation.

This use of Kickstarter has me a bit confused.

Edited by kthompson on 01/13/2013 10:45:30 MST.

Chase Norton
(Micronorton) - F
Re: Re: Solo Death Valley Trek on 01/13/2013 10:51:52 MST Print View

It is much more about the short film that will be created from this trek than just a "vacation". I am the one who will be crossing the 228 miles but we have a team behind the film and is what takes up the majority of the budget. If you look through the site more carefully you will notice we detailed all of this out. My "vacation" portion only would cost me $800 of the $6,500.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Solo Death Valley Trek on 01/13/2013 10:56:43 MST Print View

I read it.

Chase Norton
(Micronorton) - F
Re: Re: Solo Death Valley Trek on 01/13/2013 11:10:36 MST Print View

I appreciate you taking the time to look through our project Ken! We are really stoked on it and with just a month til the trek and filming begins final preparations and training are being done. This Kickstarter project is similar to many which ask of support to fund a film/book about an adventure/trek and the region it is occurring in.

Cheers

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Solo Death Valley Trek on 01/13/2013 12:01:55 MST Print View

nm

Edited by jshann on 01/13/2013 21:21:39 MST.

Chase Norton
(Micronorton) - F
Re: Re: Re: Solo Death Valley Trek on 01/13/2013 12:48:46 MST Print View

John,

It saddens me to read these kind of comments. Kickstarter is hardly begging for money and much more of a mutual exchange between creator(s) and their audience. The reward system Kickstarter setup allows for one to be an integral part of the process while also working to ensure they receive something equal if not more than the amount pledged. People do not just provide donations and this is far from the days of telethons where $400 gets you a tote bag. Read in to it a bit more if you would like and I'd imagine you could find projects that interest you and need your help to make them a reality. One that I find very interesting besides my own is a solo winter Denali attempt that will turn into a book:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oneworldendeavors/cold-love?ref=users

I pledged $10 to it because the idea of getting a postcard from the base crew in Alaska sounds interesting and I like this man's message/project and wish to support it.

It is very likely the reason Ryan Jordan and BPL are putting up a Kickstarter project very soon. Because they understand and believe in this type of crowd source funding.

Hope this clarifies and, if not, at least I tried,

Chase

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Kickstarter on 01/13/2013 13:52:37 MST Print View

"It is very likely the reason Ryan Jordan and BPL are putting up a Kickstarter project very soon"

bad example...

@John. deleted? sigh.

Edited by kthompson on 01/14/2013 06:49:17 MST.

Chase Norton
(Micronorton) - F
Re: Re: Kickstarter on 01/13/2013 14:06:03 MST Print View

"It is very likely the reason Ryan Jordan and BPL are putting up a Kickstarter project very soon. Because they understand and believe in this type of crowd source funding. "

I would like to think they are putting up a Kickstarter project because they believe in that type of crowd source funding. I would also like to think that Ryan does not believe he and BPL are doing the modern day equivalent of "begging" for money. I do not see how this is a bad example as you put it, but if you wish to explain further then I would listen. Thank you for your opinions Ken

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Solo Death Valley Trek on 01/13/2013 14:07:21 MST Print View

One of my responses was the same as Ken's: ("Nice way to fund a vacation."), but I see more to it than that. There's the film-making, the potential of a wider audience seeing that terrain and maybe feeling more invested in protecting our wild areas even if they'd never travel through them.

And as far as begging for money goes, why not? As long as the project is fairly and honestly described, sure, ask. No is putting a gun to anyone's head. There are other people's adventures that I'd be willing to support. Jill Fredston ("Rowing to Latitude") does truly expeditionary stuff, self-supported for 3 months at a time (with her partner) in very spectacular and remote places. I enjoy knowing people do that sort of thing and it causes me to dream bigger and consider more ambitious trips myself.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Solo Death Valley Trek on 01/13/2013 14:41:13 MST Print View

I'm with David, and I don't get the Kickstarter hate. I've helped fund two projects (Devin and the LuminAid) and I've been pleased with both, and happy to have contributed. Chase, I wish you success with your project and good luck with the hike.

Chase Norton
(Micronorton) - F
Re: Re: Re: Solo Death Valley Trek on 01/13/2013 14:46:51 MST Print View

Thank you David and Douglas! A lot of time and effort has gone into this and I appreciate your words of encouragement. I look forward to sharing the experience after the fact with our community here.

Chase

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Solo Death Valley Trek on 01/13/2013 15:07:38 MST Print View

People have been able to self produce stunning self supported trips. I don't see the need to spend so much to produce a self indulgent project.

I like this film http://vimeo.com/31158028

When I think of Kickstarter projects I think of something that betters technology and brings to market some durable good that might not otherwise get produced. Like the BCB, Lumenaid, etc...

Death Valley is already protected by the government and nature.

Anyway, I can choose to support what I choose. And so can everyone else. Differences of view keeps the whole thing interesting.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Solo Death Valley Trek on 01/13/2013 15:15:48 MST Print View

I'll invest some money, but I want some of the proceeds from the revenue generated from the sale of the film. Think of it as mezzanine debt.

Chase Norton
(Micronorton) - F
Re: Re: Re: Solo Death Valley Trek on 01/13/2013 18:43:15 MST Print View

"some" is just vague enough to work with. You got it!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Solo Death Valley Trek on 01/13/2013 19:48:45 MST Print View

I have my reasons for disliking the crowd-funding concept. It is a philosophical issue for me, and I have a half-written blog post on my computer on the subject. For some many people, Kickstarter is a patron-centric chance to support so called "artists." Other folks have other motivations to fund different kinds of projects.

Actually I hate the concept.

Given this, it is none of my business if the OP wants to fund this hike via Kickstarter, whatever his motivation. Go ahead with your plans. And if enough people give you money to fund the project, then deliver a quality product.

Good luck.

Chase Norton
(Micronorton) - F
Re: Re: Solo Death Valley Trek on 01/13/2013 19:55:13 MST Print View

Clear. To the point. I respect what you say and appreciate your words. A quality product is indeed the vision. Thank you

sean neves
(Seanneves) - M

Locale: City of Salt
Ignore the naysayers.. on 01/13/2013 22:10:00 MST Print View

I really don't post that much. In general I enjoy this forum and the information that can be gleaned from the many knowlegable people who post here. That being said, I find many of the comments on this post to be mean-spirited and incredibly close-minded. Good luck, Chase. Attitudes like this keep me from posting much. A lot of know-it-all certainty, and a good, strong dose of snootyness make this forum hard to read sometimes.

Outdoor persuits are an intensely personal endeavor. There is absolutely no right way to do things. Go, raise some cash and make a ripping flick!

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re on 01/14/2013 00:31:59 MST Print View

I'm not really sure why this thread was even created, except for the fact that there are kick starter donation links ITT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Sounds awesome on 01/14/2013 06:30:37 MST Print View

Chase,

This sounds like quite an adventure! My first thought is that I would rather see a film on this topic than 90% of the garbage on TV. I'll kick in but it would be nice if the video download was priced more competitively with what someone would pay to see a movie.

Good luck and stay safe out there.