Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Starbucks reusable 16oz coffee cup with lid, $1 and 1.6oz/44g
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Starbucks reusable 16oz coffee cup with lid, $1 and 1.6oz/44g on 01/11/2013 22:22:33 MST Print View

My wife came home with a reusable cup from Starbucks the other day. It is a plastic version of the paper cups they normally use and it comes with a snap on lid, holds 16 ounces, 6.25" tall with lid, and weighs 1.6oz/44g. The barista said it can be used 30 times. It is marked number 5 plastic, BPA free and top rack dishwasher safe. They don't make a smaller version-- a 12 ounce version would be great. The lid is much stronger than the typical plastic ones.

It begs to have a cozy. I have some EVA foam that might be good; otherwise, it might get a Reflectix tuxedo :)

Also, Starbucks will give you a dime off your coffee purchase each time you use the cup.

Starbucks reusable coffe cup

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Coffee To Go? on 01/12/2013 08:00:42 MST Print View

I worry you may be addicted to weighing things...

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Coffee To Go? on 01/12/2013 08:14:47 MST Print View

I'm more concerned that he might actually drink the burnt brown water at five bucks.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Coffee To Go? on 01/12/2013 08:20:39 MST Print View

I don't think it is cause for worry :-D

I did buy the cup sans liquid refreshment. The rest may be true.

Edited by dwambaugh on 01/12/2013 08:22:43 MST.

Tim Heckel
(ThinAir) - M

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs
Breakfast on 01/12/2013 09:52:36 MST Print View

Thanks for pointing this out Dale. It certainly might work in my kit.
Another point to note, the regular flimsy disposable Starbucks lid will fit on the reusable cup and weighs less.

And for Ken,
Starbucks brewed 12oz is $1.77, $1.67 with the reusable cup.
My local breakfast dive charges $2.19.

pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Starbucks reusable 16oz coffee cup on 01/12/2013 10:09:51 MST Print View

These were piloted out here in Seattle-land but I saw recently that they are going nationwide. Folks who can't find them probably just need to wait until they make to their corner of the country. I would have been all over this a few years ago, but I'm trying to drink all of my beverages out of metal or glass. I had one trip where my Scotch tasted plasticky and I've been scarred for life :)

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Breakfast on 01/12/2013 10:18:49 MST Print View

I have a 12oz. plastic cup same recycling # I've been using this winter, weighs .6 oz. no lid. Here I thought Dale was on to something.:( It was a cup given out at work at a catered lunch over a year ago. No lid which is fine, gives me time to get breakfast going and time for the coffee (Via) to cool. I currently use a beer cooler for insulation (1.5oz) though. I'll have to work on that.
Duane

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Sweet cup on 01/12/2013 10:19:55 MST Print View

I have a very similar cup in black that I received a swag from another company. Mine is double walled and I use it a lot in the winter as part of my winter kitchen to keep drinks hotter for longer. I've been trying to fInd a second one and this may be it

Dale, are these sbux cups double walled? What happens after 30 uses? Seems like such an arbitrary number that it leaves me curious

Edited by Konrad1013 on 01/12/2013 10:22:40 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Sweet cup on 01/12/2013 15:20:35 MST Print View

The cups are single walled. The 30 use info was delivered by the barista. I imagine they don't want a lawsuit over a lap full of hot coffee, but I saw nothing in writing. #5 plastic should be polypropylene.

It's not the end all, just a step up from paper or styrofoam cups. Double wall titanium mugs are nice, but most are small and the price is numbing.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Starbucks reusable 16oz coffee cup with lid, $1 and 1.6oz/44g on 01/12/2013 17:58:40 MST Print View

"It begs to have a cozy. I have some EVA foam that might be good;"

How about just slipping a liner glove over it from the bottom up? Or a wool sock? Or?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Starbucks reusable 16oz coffee cup with lid, $1 and 1.6oz/44g on 01/12/2013 18:03:07 MST Print View

Would prefer one that's shorter and wider.

OTOH, I've been pretty happy with my multipurpose ti mug/pot...

Edited by ben2world on 01/12/2013 18:04:05 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Starbucks reusable 16oz coffee cup with lid, $1 and 1.6oz/44g on 01/12/2013 19:26:55 MST Print View

"Would prefer one that's shorter and wider."

About 14-15 fluid ounces? I use a plastic container that held dates. It weighs about a half ounce. It's about 3 inches tall and about 4.7 in diameter. I think of it as a combination cup and bowl.

--B.G.--

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: Starbucks reusable 16oz coffee cup with lid, $1 and 1.6oz/44g on 01/12/2013 19:40:41 MST Print View

Ben wrote, "Would prefer one that's shorter and wider.

OTOH, I've been pretty happy with my multipurpose ti mug/pot..."

I think a 12oz version would be good.

My standby has been a small single wall ti mug, the latest being an MSR Titan mug. I can cook with it for solo/minimalist stuff, but there is the lip burning issue as well as cooling too fast--- no free lunch!

The Alladin insulated plastic mugs have been in my car camping kit for years. At 4+ oz, they are a little heavy and they are bulky too.

The Starbucks cup is cheap and light and will keep coffee warm long enough. Perfectly imperfect :)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Starbucks reusable 16oz coffee cup with lid, $1 and 1.6oz/44g on 01/12/2013 19:58:05 MST Print View

First you stated:
"It begs to have a cozy. I have some EVA foam that might be good; otherwise, it might get a Reflectix tuxedo :)"

Now you state:
"...and will keep coffee warm long enough."

Which is it?

--B.G.--

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Starbucks reusable 16oz coffee cup with lid, $1 and 1.6oz/44g on 01/12/2013 22:03:44 MST Print View

Both. It will keep the coffee warm okay on it's own and far better than a single wall metal cup, but adding a cozy won't hurt. My thought was that a cozy would improve handling, like the sleeves for paper cups.

We are talking about a $1 bit of gear. Some folk use the thin foam cups and I think this one will survive a little better. I like cups with lids to keep the heat in and the bugs and for needles out.

I like to find a cheap solution once in a while, like the Victorinox paring knife, the Snowpeak Ti bowl, window film ground sheets, Bic lighters and so on. We take this stuff out and live in the dirt with it!

I remember seeing the Inka Ti pen for $35 when I first got into UL gear and being disgusted with the price. Some of the other Ti stuff hits me that way. At some point it is more jewelry than tool. Dropping $35-$40 for a mug to slurp coffee from strikes me the same way.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Starbucks reusable 16oz coffee cup with lid, $1 and 1.6oz/44g on 01/12/2013 22:50:25 MST Print View

"We are talking about a $1 bit of gear."

Ahhh, there's the difference. I was talking about a $0 bit of gear.

--B.G.--

Martin Clark
(Marty_Mcfly) - F

Locale: Southeast US
THE PRICE IS RIGHT on 01/14/2013 19:20:32 MST Print View

This cup rules. I picked mine up last week and absolutely love it. Only drawback is that the cup gets extremely hot and will burn hand. easy 0.25oz fix is to take a really lightweight beer coozie and cut the bottom off and use it. It makes a nice hand gripper and insulates your beverage. I could totally see myself taking this backpacking. I would also like to applaud starbucks for trying to make their MANY wasteful customers more aware of their waste and recycling. SOMEBODY had to take some responsibility.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Starbucks cup cozy on 01/14/2013 19:56:30 MST Print View

I did make a foam cozy from 5mm foam. It's ugly, but it works and it's just 0.2oz. I tried a beer cozy, which works just fine, but the one I have is really thick neoprene and weighs nearly as much as the cup. I did some surfing and there are silicone cup sleeves, but while searching on the silicon sleeves, I found all kinds of knitted ones. That made me think of *socks*, so I dove into the sock drawer, found an orphan and cut a 3.5" section off the ribbed top. That works great and it is about 0.2oz as well. It is cotton and will unravel with time, but it took 10 seconds to make. I'm thinking the cotton will be good for a pot grabber too. You could do the same with a spare sock from your pack, but you wouldn't be able to set it down.

jason quick
(jase)

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne
Re: Coffee To Go? on 01/14/2013 20:02:14 MST Print View

"I worry you may be addicted to weighing things..."

...that was weighing on my mind too.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Starbucks cup cozy on 01/14/2013 20:54:59 MST Print View

Use a hiking sock, fresh off your foot. If folks can use tent stakes as dual purpose on a stove, (what does the tent do in a wind?) where's the harm in going sockless?
Duane