Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What's Your Favorite Piece of Gear?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Favorite Children Exist on 01/11/2013 10:10:43 MST Print View

I'm the oldest of four brothers. We all know the youngest is the favorite.

Emil Gazda
(Emilio)

Locale: Southeast
you can't pick just one on 01/11/2013 10:27:44 MST Print View

1. Go-Lite Shangri-La 3 yellow rainfly
2. Granite Gear Crown 60
3. Go-Lite Down Quilt

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: What's Your Favorite Piece of Gear? on 01/11/2013 10:28:11 MST Print View

Custom pack(s). With a long torso, fit from a store-bought pack has always been iffy but no more.

RA Amundsen
(Grimner)
Stove and a tent on 01/11/2013 10:48:41 MST Print View

1) The Pocket Stove
So small, so light and bright. Slight intellectual challenge at the end of the day as well.
http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/the-pocket-stove

2) SMD Skyline Trekker
Used for a week in gusting winds late last year, quickly fallen in love with it and eagerly awaiting spring.

3) The light idea - walking without blisters, aching back and bleeding feet? What a radical consept!

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Patagonia on 01/11/2013 18:36:24 MST Print View

A lot of people are mentioning Patagonia. They're a personal favorite too- I love my Super Cell jacket.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: What's Your Favorite Piece of Gear? on 01/11/2013 19:44:06 MST Print View

WM Megalite bag. Had it for 8+ years, still love it.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: What's Your Favorite Piece of Gear? on 01/11/2013 20:34:58 MST Print View

Hennessey Hammock 13 years of blissful backcountry sleeping. The Neoair has made ground sleeping almost as good though.

Snow Peak Gigapower canister stove. 12 years and not a single issue. Granted not a ton of usage, but still.

ULA Ohm v1.0 Brian got it right for me with this first version. I especially like the hipbelt pocket free tiny padded hip belt. And those awesome side pockets. Nice simple drawstring closure. A no BS pack.

Also have been enjoying my Fusion cone from Trail Designs for my 750ml Pasta Pot from Evernew.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Hennessy Hammock on 01/11/2013 20:40:16 MST Print View

Ken, How's your Hennessy holding up? I've spent about 70 days this past year sleeping in mine- I'm interested in the long-term durability of the thing!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Hennessy Hammock on 01/11/2013 20:59:29 MST Print View

Keep things out of your pockets. It never touches the ground when using snakeskins. I sold my first one after 11 years, several hundred nights and it still looked really good. New tree straps and maybe some new hanging cord once in awhile. I see them lasting for quite a while with a little care.

I've tried all the other cord alternatives like whoopies and ucrs, and straps. Tom's lashing method still gives me the greatest variety in the way to hang it.

Plus if you have a bottom entry, you don't have to get out to pee in the middle of the night.
Watch where you left your pack and tie your shoes to the ridge line!

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Sweet! on 01/11/2013 21:03:27 MST Print View

I do have the bottom entry... but I still get out to pee, haha.

I have a few rules- if I'm drinking whiskey, no hammocking and no camera. There are some things that just don't mix.

If I stick to my rules, I should see the same results. I'm perfectly happy replacing my hammock every decade. :)

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Bump on 10/30/2013 23:33:55 MDT Print View

Great thread. Bumpage!

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: What's Your Favorite Piece of Gear? on 10/31/2013 00:07:01 MDT Print View

My ohm. It's durable, functional, and it just melts into my back.

Dan V
(Supro)

Locale: Adirondacks
R1 on 10/31/2013 00:48:01 MDT Print View

Definitely my Patagonia R1 hoody. On the trail, around the house, on airplanes and in hotels - it sees daily use.

I'm a big fan of the Gossamer Gear Minimalist pack as well. So good that I bought a spare.

Mike W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Golite Dakota Wind Shirt on 10/31/2013 00:49:25 MDT Print View

My favorite "must have" piece of gear is my Golite Dakota Wind Shirt. At 4 oz, I take this running, hiking, backpacking and just whenever I think I might need something to take the edge off a cold day. Easy enough to stuff in a side pocket and light enough to not notice it's there. If Golite started making these again, I'd buy another.

My favorite "optional" piece of gear is my iPhone 5 (now 5S). Again, it comes with me when running, hiking, backpacking and pretty much everywhere. It has become my primary camera. While some people like to listen to music while running, I never listen to anything when I'm outside - I like the sound of my footsteps on dirt trails.

Fred eric
(Fre49) - MLife

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire
favorites pieces of gear on 10/31/2013 02:18:37 MDT Print View

1- my neoair xlite women

with my first neoair i went from miserable nights and sore back on every foam mat i have sleep on, to sleeping soundly on any ground.
now with the xlite women i also have a great margin for very cold nights.

2- my BPL cocoon hoodie ( first generation ) i lenghtened a bit the sleeves and except for the color ( i would look less like a clown when after the usual 2 weeks hike we take 1 week to visit the country we went to ) its perfect for me.

3- when i hiking solo : my trailstar

Gear that looks good but not yet tested.
i just got the locus gear poles and they look great and easy to tighten for the weight, they are replacing my old Komperdell KC3

Edited by Fre49 on 10/31/2013 02:19:11 MDT.

McDowell Crook
(mcdcrook) - M

Locale: Southeast
faves on 10/31/2013 10:05:45 MDT Print View

Glad to see this thread active again!

1. Zpacks pillow dry bag (used with a FlexAir pillow inside - ahhhhhh)

2. Altra Lone Peak 1.5 trail runners (accompanied by tiger-stripe Dirty Girl gaiters, of course)

3. MSR PackTowl Nano (hands down the most multi-use item I carry: towel, pot cozy/holder, plate, handkerchief, sweatband, dishrag, neck drape. only .6 ounces)

Honorable mentions:

Bota Box wine (I carry just the bag)

Alite Mayfly chair (heavy but worth it when I bring a good book on a solo trip)

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Thermarest Pro Lite on 10/31/2013 10:16:00 MDT Print View

I've owned Thermarest sleeping pads going back to the '80s and still have my first one. No patches in it and no leaks but heavy at 2.5lbs.

In the mid '90s, the Army started issuing the 1.5lb USGI Thermarest as a replacement for the CCF pad. As an infantryman, you don't get to pick an ideal location to sleep and we didn't have groundsheets. You'd throw this pad down wherever and make the most of it. I kept this pad and paid for it when I turned in my gear. It has a couple patches on it but considering the hundreds of nights of abuse and use, it's held up remarkably.

I now own the Pro Lite 3/4. It doesn't self-inflate like its predecessors, especially when it's cold, but I don't care; I just blow some air into it and I've never had problems doing this. It's rugged, easy to deploy/recover, comfortable, and lightweight at 12oz (advertised at 11).

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: What's Your Favorite Piece of Gear? on 10/31/2013 11:04:28 MDT Print View

Based on how long I've used it, my Snow Peak 700 mug would seem to be my favorite piece of gear. It was one of the first "ultralight" items I got and although I've experimented with various beer can pots, cheap aluminum mugs, and even an MSR Titan kettle but I always end up back with my SP 700. I wish it were a little lighter, or that I had the cool aftermarket Rota Locura lid, but I love the graduations on the inside, that I can fit my whole kitchen kit inside it (using Esbit), and that's its been indestructible.

A newer piece of gear that I'm realizing I waited too long to get is my Prolite Plus. I've got the full length version and I'm getting a better night's sleep in the backcountry that I ever did on foam mats. Its the heaviest single piece of gear that I carry at 24 ounces but I think its a good trade off.

Adam

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: What's Your Favorite Piece of Gear? on 10/31/2013 12:10:02 MDT Print View

Favorite… hard to pick one, but I guess it would be Five Fingers Spyridon LS trail runner "shoes". Miles and miles of blister free comfort even with multiple river crosses. Close second would be Patagonia Cap 4 Hoody (2012 and later when they started to use the new grid PowerDry)to it's comfort over a huge range of temperatures. Longest using without change is the MLD 850 Mug/Pot. Other beloved items on my perfect gear page.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: What's Your Favorite Piece of Gear? on 10/31/2013 14:03:11 MDT Print View

I want to change my previous list. My favorite piece of gear is my brain -- when I remember to bring it.