Forum Index » GEAR » how do you stop pillow sliding off sleeping mat

Display Avatars Sort By:
mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Locale: Allways on the move
how do you stop pillow sliding off sleeping mat on 01/10/2013 03:57:27 MST Print View

I have a synmat pad and the pillows I have used/tried all slide off after the first move and my sleep is greatly affected. The synmat pad and all the pillows all seem to have slippery materials so it's almost like it's designed to slip off!! So I tried to use the back pack but that moves away too. So I am up to the point of gluing velcro bits to pad and pillow to make it stay there.

Any other suggestions to keep the pillow in place? What method do you use?

Thank you.

Mik.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: how do you stop pillow sliding off sleeping mat on 01/10/2013 04:43:12 MST Print View

Hi Mik,

Some dots or lines of seam sealer applied to the bottom side of the pillow or its pillow case helps to provide some control of the pillow sliding off the pad.

I used some stripes of Permatex Flowable windshield sealer on my MYOG pillow case. My pillow is a Kooka Bay inflatable BTW. The pillowcase keeps the pillow clean and free of skin oil etc. It is also removable and washable. The bottom side is silnylon and the sealer stripes have made it through the washer several times.

Party On,

Newton

Jared Baker
(simply_light) - MLife

Locale: Midwest, US
Just saw this on 01/10/2013 04:45:25 MST Print View

Check out the below thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72096

I just saw it a little while ago and while I am not crazy about the fabric, the concept looks feasible and easily implemented.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Straps on 01/10/2013 05:42:39 MST Print View

I use the Montbell pillow that has slots for straps. I have added straps similar to the straps seen on the monkey pillow.

Joe S
(ThreeRidges)
Holes on 01/10/2013 05:46:06 MST Print View

If I remember correctly, both the Synmat and the Exped pillow (and others) have holes through edge material by which you can tie them together. Other folks have created such a system using duck tape and a hole punch.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: how do you stop pillow sliding off sleeping mat on 01/10/2013 09:01:26 MST Print View

Or, put some Permatex or silicone:mineral spirits on the pad

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Straps on 01/10/2013 09:27:40 MST Print View

Exped pillows also have loops so that you can attach it to your mat. Ironically, the link to the tread mentioned above...if you go to the link in that linked thread and look at the first picture, they are actually showing the product being used with an Exped pillow inside of it that has the attachment hole showing.

KJ

mik matra
(mikmik) - M

Locale: Allways on the move
got it on 01/10/2013 16:59:56 MST Print View

Valcro straps it is then :). I just can't see seam sealing stripes holding pillow in place properly. It doesn't hold my mat in place on the shelter floor wit all my body weight on it so I think the pillow case (punt intended) is out.

Thanks for your replies :)

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Buff pulled over your Exped on 01/10/2013 17:20:26 MST Print View

The other tip I have found both effective and comfortable is pulling my buff over my Exped pillow. The Buff material feels much better against my face and at the same time makes the pillow more resistant to slipping.

Bradley Attaway
(AttaboyBrad) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Thin CCF on 01/10/2013 17:25:55 MST Print View

A small patch of 1/8" evazote between pillow and pad will do the trick. Should weigh only a few grams. Works basically like non-stick drawer and rug liners.

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Re: Buff pulled over your Exped on 01/10/2013 19:15:23 MST Print View

+1 on Randy's suggestion. I also do the same.

KJ

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Buff pulled over your Exped on 01/10/2013 19:37:28 MST Print View

+2 I use the Montbell pillow though.

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Locale: San Diego County
Re: Buff pulled over my Montbell Pillow on 01/10/2013 19:41:46 MST Print View

Like Ken, a buff pulled over my Montbell pillow works for me.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
how do you stop pillow sliding off sleeping mat" on 01/10/2013 19:55:50 MST Print View

I put an exped pillow inside of a stuff sack and then surround it with a down vest. Then I place it on top of some other clothes at the head of my mat; that is, on the ground and off the mat. This arrangement keeps my pillow from slipping and at just the right height for me. But when it comes to pillows, everybody's mileage will vary1

Brian Barnes
(brianjbarnes) - M

use a torso layer on 01/11/2013 09:33:49 MST Print View

I simply place an extra torso layer (e.g. windshirt, etc) over the head of the air mattress and stuff the pillow in between the mattress and the torso layer.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: use a torso layer on 01/11/2013 10:22:22 MST Print View

Brian,

..."stuff the pillow in between the mattress and the torso layer."

Elegantly simple and dual use! ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
Shock cord on 01/11/2013 10:49:49 MST Print View

I use a Montbell pillow and a Downmat UL7. I use a very small diameter length of shock cord and attach it to the holes in the bottom corners of the pillow with some clips. I simply run the cord under my pad and it stays in place. I tried the Velcro option before, but I didn’t like gluing things to by pad and pillow.

Ben

Sean Nordeen
(Miner) - F - M

Locale: SoCAL
how do you stop pillow sliding off sleeping mat on 01/11/2013 22:30:21 MST Print View

Maybe this will sound sort of outlandish. But if you are using a pillow, why does it need to be on the sleeping mat in the first place? Since you have a pillow, your head probably doesn't need the insulation from the ground. It also probably doesn't need the bit of extra padding. Thus if your pillow is placed just past the top of your sleep mat, it won't slide off since its already off. I admit to being a torso pad user, so perhaps my thinking is just too radical for normal people. :p

However, if you must have the pillow on your sleeping pad, fill your backpack with the rest of your gear you aren't using and place it at the top of your sleeping pad. The pillow will push against the pack and the much larger pack will push back against the cheeky bastard, thsu frustrating your pillows desire to roam free during the night. At least that was what I use to do.

Edited by Miner on 01/11/2013 22:32:48 MST.

Tim Heckel
(ThinAir) - M

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs
+1 on 01/12/2013 10:10:03 MST Print View

Brilliant Brian!
I'm not sure if that idea is a left brain or right brian idea, but apparently I don't possess that side as that idea would never have occurred to me!
Thank you.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: how do you stop pillow sliding off sleeping mat on 01/12/2013 11:18:08 MST Print View

Sean, good thought. That is exactly how I work it. I use the dry bag (turned inside out) with everything I own, except the pack, as my pillow. The pack works against my feet, just under the NightLite. The pillow goes just above. This works pretty well.