Forum Index » GEAR » Has anyone tried Ceracoat?? (NeverWet alternative)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
Has anyone tried Ceracoat?? (NeverWet alternative) on 01/09/2013 19:51:12 MST Print View

I'm not sure what ever happened to NeverWet. Their site said products would become available mid 2012 and nothing was ever released. Now it just says they're not available..

But in the meantime I just came across a similar product called Ceracoat. Its labeled for clothing so just might work for outdoor uses. Anyone here have any experience with this stuff?

Ceracoat

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
HUH?? on 01/09/2013 20:30:42 MST Print View

I know Ceracoat is used to color weapons but never heard of it for clothing.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

huh?! on 01/09/2013 21:05:16 MST Print View

maybe you could try taking 3.5sec to goog search before posting

gun coatings=CeraKote with a K

hydrophobic spray= Ceracoat and to be more specific the whole company name is Ceracoat-Ceramic

http://www.ceracoatceramicusa.com/

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Ceracoat not Cerakote on 01/09/2013 21:06:28 MST Print View

"I know Ceracoat is used to color weapons but never heard of it for clothing."

Cerakote is a coating for Firearms. Ceracoat is a durable water repelant coating made buy a different company.

http://www.ceracoatceramicusa.com/

I had previously heard that some fabrics were using a ceramic durable water repellent coating but I was never able to find the product name or any information about it. I'll have to give it a try.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Has anyone tried Ceracoat?? (NeverWet alternative) on 01/09/2013 22:30:56 MST Print View

Sounds just like nanosphere from schoeller. Probably just another small company getting some decent lab results and a lot of hype but unable to scale up to provide an actual product on larger commercial basis.

I'll not hold my breath for now.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Ceracoat on 01/09/2013 23:46:43 MST Print View

I don't know of any good reason to object to this product or this company, but when I looked at the website I found myself wondering if they also sell magnetic healing bracelets. If some disgruntled marketer inside the company wanted to make the product look like a fraud, a website like that would be a good way to do it.

Also, on the directions for use page it says, in all capital letters, "DO NOT RUB". Is this because rubbing will force water into the fabric or because rubbing will remove the coating?

Incidentally, a German company called Nanopool GMBH has been attempting to market a spray-on superhydrophobic silica nanocoating since 2010. It was briefly available but regulators yanked it from the shelves when more than 100 consumers got sick, including a few cases of pulmonary edema. When public health authorities tested some of the bottles that had been seized at retail stores (which sold for 30 euros each), they found that they contained ethanol and water but no silica. The company responded by speculating that the sick consumers had recklessly sprayed and breathed too much of it, and that the batch tested by authorities was just missing it's magical nano-ingredient as a result of a manufacturing error.

http://www.nature.com/embor/journal/v7/n9/full/7400799.html

Nanopool continues to market heavily, and many European and US media outlets, including popular science media, are enthusiastically broadcasting the company's claims as though they are fact. The only independent testing I found reported that surfaces sprayed with the product had fewer bacteria than untreated surfaces. The product is mostly ethanol, so this result doesn't answer any questions.

So, NeverWet, Nanopool, and Ceracoat all claim to do similarly amazing things, but NeverWet is a market no-show, Nanopool lost its credibility and is being sued, and the marketing for Ceracoat looks like Power Balance Bracelets. And major industries and show no sign of adopting the technology.

Maybe these products are as revolutionary as advertised, but a marketing claim is not evidence, and what I've seen so far doesn't inspire confidence.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Ceracoat on 01/10/2013 01:03:32 MST Print View

Colin, did you watch the video? It starts off with "what you are about to see is real..." in a very official news broadcast voice. I immediately left the site and gave my bank account info to a site claiming not to be a scam. I agree, some disgruntled marketer or maybe a freshmen business major off craigslist was hired for the promo package.

A little less snarky, but it really just looks like a nikwax competitor, only with more outrageous claims. Your standard aftermarket spray on will perform similarly after initial treatment. The problem with DWRs isn't the water resistance, it's the "Durable" part that is tricky. Their own site claims it'll last only a few washes, which is on par with nikwax and less than flurocarbon based solutions like graingers.

Edited by upalachango on 01/10/2013 01:05:07 MST.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

us? on 01/10/2013 11:47:39 MST Print View

It is interesting that there are all these superhydrophobic applications coming out in the US but none as a retail spray. (ie. dridowns, toilet plungers, cell phone coatings)
You would think the market would be huge for this but all ive seen are a few small European companys that may or may not have proper testing standards and a US company who seems to have an issue releasing their product.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: huh?! on 01/10/2013 12:49:27 MST Print View

"maybe you could try taking 3.5sec to goog search before posting"

Maybe for a guy who's asking for help you could be a bit less snarky. I'm impressed that those others answered you at all- I wouldn't have.

Or maybe you could, like, try Google for yourself.

Edited by acrosome on 01/10/2013 12:51:12 MST.

Eric Parks
(ArtVandelayII)
Now at Home Depot on 06/21/2013 09:32:55 MDT Print View

NeverWet is out. Has anybody tried it yet? I'm interested in proofing my pack and pants with it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/204216476

Edited by ArtVandelayII on 06/21/2013 09:45:10 MDT.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
I've ordered it on 06/21/2013 11:46:16 MDT Print View

I plan to use it around the house first, but I am going to coat a scrap piece of nylon and test how well it works as a DWR.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: I've ordered it on 06/21/2013 13:18:45 MDT Print View

maybe weigh it before and after

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: I've ordered it on 06/21/2013 13:22:07 MDT Print View

I will do that (weight it before and after).

Eric Parks
(ArtVandelayII)
Re: I've ordered it on 06/26/2013 07:41:35 MDT Print View

Great! Thanks. I look forward to the results.