Forum Index » Gear Deals » StarLyte Burner With Cap

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Experimentation Feedback on 01/26/2013 19:18:07 MST Print View

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing on their experimenting with the burners.

Got one persons email saying their boil time has increased with the modified burner. That's normal. I asked if he was able to get 2 cups to boil with 1/2 ounce of fuel while using the 10-12 stove. So far no answer from him.

I suspect most folks are using titanium pots and are expecting longer boil times.

In my test with the aluminum grease pot purchased at kmart, I was able to get the boil with 1/2 ounce in 9 min.

Cary Dwiggins
(Cary75)

Locale: NW
My tests... on 01/26/2013 21:26:38 MST Print View

I did not get a boil (189degrees) with 14.5ml, but it is 44 degrees outside and my water is only 43 degrees. With just 16 ml I get a boil at 13 minutes and out at just under 14 minutes. With 20 ml I got a 9 minute boil and out at almost 16 minutes. with my trail designs I only reached 170 degrees and out at just over 8 minutes. I like my modified starlyte! unfortunately, I have given up on simmering with it. It just burns too hot, even when I cover 90 percent of the top!
Thanks Zelph!
Cary

Forgot to add that I used a 1.3L evernew in a caldera cone

Edited by Cary75 on 01/27/2013 08:21:51 MST.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: My tests... on 01/28/2013 09:47:41 MST Print View

Thanks a lot for the feedback Cary.

That's a lot of Ti to heat up.

No!!!!! don't give up on simmering with it. Try one of these older methods:

<center>

</center>

<center>

</center>

<center>

</center>

<center>

</center>

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

INTERNATIONAL ORDERS on 01/28/2013 20:25:48 MST Print View

International Orders have been suspended for all items due to a unreal increase in United States Postal Rates rates.

As an example, I shiped an order for a esbitmizer to Canada today. Actual shipping cost for the 2.5 ounce envelope was $7.35

5.5 ounce box to Israel cost $12.75

7 oz box to Switzerland cost $12.75

I'll resume shipping International orders once I've determined a flat rate price. I'll announce it here when they resume.

ed hyatt
(edhyatt) - MLife

Locale: The North; UK
INTERNATIONAL ORDERS on 01/29/2013 01:14:49 MST Print View

Dan - how depressing; getting to be like UK postage rates :-(

I've used my cone-adapted Starlyte (in the wilds of the back yard - a windless place that has been hovering around zero centigrade for the last week or so).

Using the 1.3 Evernew with 500ml I can get a gentle 'rising bubbles' with 15ml ethanol. About 17ml and it boils. About 13 minutes.

Using such a big pan is probably not useful for 2 cups, but it was to hand. I'd guess the efficiency might rise with a 600/900 pan...?

Cary Dwiggins
(Cary75)

Locale: NW
re simmering on 01/31/2013 15:35:07 MST Print View

I tried the cat food can, but I got a smelly burnt can. Do you remove the inner BPA material? I tried putting a foil aluminum tin ( not the cupcake liners) with just a few holes punctured on top and once it got hot, it still burned really hot. Also, I put a lg metal washer on top, so that only a couple of mm hole remained in the middle, but once the metal heated up, the stove reverted to a lg hot flame. All my efforts at simmering seem ineffective once the metal heats up. In fact, it seems to almost make it hotter! I had flames shooting around the sides of my pan and I couldn't put it out in my usual way ( by smothering with an upside down foil tin, or even with a pot lid ).

Cary

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: re simmering on 01/31/2013 18:22:52 MST Print View

Cary, did you cut the cat food can down to approximately the same height as in the above video?

BPA in all lined food cans is leached out into the food during the heating process while the food is in the can. That info comes from a research institute in the United Kingdom and can be found on my website.

Even though the cat food can smelled burnt, did it simmer the StarLyte?

Try it again in the cat food can with only 1/2 ounce of fuel. Under normal cooking procedures you will use 1/2 ounce to boil the water/product and then snuff out the burner and refuel it and then put it into the cat food can to get the reduced flame height. Center the burner in the can.

Edited by zelph on 01/31/2013 18:27:16 MST.

Fred Eoff
(fredeoff) - F - M

Locale: Northwest
Boil Time on 02/04/2013 14:34:33 MST Print View

Using Everclear in the unmodified Starlyte with my Caldera KegF I get the following:

16 ozs of cold tap water to a rolling boil in 8:15. 1 oz of Everclear in the Starlyte and the burn continued to 12:32. If I was quick about it I could have done another 8 ounces for coffee!

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Boil Time on 02/04/2013 16:23:44 MST Print View

Fred, that's great feedback, thank you. Everyone using the keg and the unmodified StarLyte should be able to get the same results. I'll try it in my keg setup sometime this week. Thanks again Fred!

THE GOOD NEWS FOR INTERNATIONALS:

International Orders have resumed. Postal rates have increased world wide. Striking postal workers are to blame, not the unions. Unions want to cut back on benefits and wages.

ed hyatt
(edhyatt) - MLife

Locale: The North; UK
THE GOOD NEWS FOR INTERNATIONALS...Ouch on 02/05/2013 02:00:13 MST Print View

Well I'm glad I ordered mine before USPS charges went up...not that I blame workers wishing to protect their rights...

I tried a couple into my Checkout - $24 apiece....$48 for two...$96 for four - there is no postage adjustment built in for ordering multiple stoves - pity as I guess they would all be sent in the same box?

I did want a couple more :-(

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: THE GOOD NEWS FOR INTERNATIONALS...Ouch on 02/06/2013 18:14:00 MST Print View

ed Hyatt, friends like you are special. Just let me know what you want and I'll send you a Paypal Invoice to include the actual shipping sharges. I'll combine shipping. I'm easy. I'm just a little guy off in a corner of syberspace. I hand make all my stuff, no cnc outsourcing here. My store is understaffed :-))) Non-Union ;-)

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

StarLyte burner to pot distance on 02/28/2013 09:15:08 MST Print View

This thread has a lot of answers for someone having questions on the distance needed for burner to pot distance. I had 2 emails that were answered by the info found in this thread. Thanks for all the feedback info.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: StarLyte burner to pot distance on 04/19/2013 09:23:48 MDT Print View

Came across this photobucket video shows how the StarLyte is used with Back Country Boiler.

Click on it
 video 2009-07-14111958.mp4

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

New Foster can for StarLytes on 04/24/2013 20:33:33 MDT Print View

I made 4 Foster cans for use with the StarLyte burner when placed under a Caldera-Keg system. No shim is needed. This photo shows the new can on the right. The supporting ridgeline has been relocated 3/4" higher up on the can. The can will then be 3/4" lower inside the cone for more heat absorbtion.

photo FosterCaldera001_zps20fc9841.jpg

The new can is offered only to BPL viewers. It can not be seen by others viewing my stove store site. You have to use this link to see the sale page. I made 4 of these today along with more of the regular cans for the Cone.

The link:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/foster-for-starlyte.php

Edited by zelph on 04/24/2013 20:37:00 MDT.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: pot stand for StarLytes on 04/24/2013 20:40:59 MDT Print View

Dan,

Do you know when you will have the pot stands back in stock?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: New Foster can for StarLytes on 04/24/2013 20:54:05 MDT Print View

"Do you know when you will have the pot stands back in stock?"

Steven, I'll make one up for you tomorrow morning. Go ahead and do the paypal transaction and I'll ship late afternoon.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
StarLyte Burner With Cap on 04/24/2013 22:21:00 MDT Print View

Thanks, Dan! Sorry to veer this thread into yet another slightly-off direction.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: TD Sidewinder Caldera Cone on 05/03/2013 20:49:29 MDT Print View

Chad Poindexter over at "Sticksblog" has found a use for the Modified StarLyte burner.

http://sticksblog.com/2013/05/03/td-s...

and here is his recent video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8-bTAS9PkA

Mole J
(MoleJ) - F

Locale: UK
Modified Starlyte - no boil for me :( on 05/04/2013 06:24:21 MDT Print View

Dan

As you may remember

I have bought 2 Starlytes over the last few years - both still going strong - though the the first is a bit corroded now.

I recently got a new modified Starlyte and a new standard one(through Ed H) .

In my Evernew 600 + Ti sidewinder:

I have done tests several times with both new burners using 15ml fuel and 500ml cold water. Standard flame gap.

The standard Starlyte gets me a rolling boil between 10 and 12 minutes and burns till 13 or so.

Cannot (repeatedly) get a full boil going with the modified. Get the 'thermal feedback' noise, and sometimes bubbles form on the pan base. No Boil though. Burns out a 13 mins or so.

Any suggestions? I'm guessing it's better for a narrow mug style pot?
(I'm not too bothered as I can just remove the insert and make it a standard Starlyte - which works fine!)

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Modified Starlyte - no boil for me :( on 05/04/2013 07:44:05 MDT Print View

Mole, try raising the burner up towards the pot 1.5cm. Can you get a boil with the 12-10 using 15ml of fuel? Is there soot forming on your pot? Sometimes your water may be colder and thus making the difference? Try off setting the burner away from where the most draft is entering the cone. Move it towards the draft side so the incoming air pushes the flame towards the center of the pot. Try to view what's going on inside the cone so you can see if the flame is centered. With my cone I have to have the burner off center to compensate for the incoming air. Small drafts can have an affect on the flame pattern. I had my kitchen windows open when doing my tests and could see the flames dance around and move the flame off center and the flames go up the side of the Foster's pot.

I have only used the Modified StarLyte in my Cone designed for the Foster's can. I consistently get 2 cups to boil with 15ml of denatured alcohol. Boil times are approximately 7.5 min. and continue to boil for 1 min. Flame out around 9 min. Those are results of yesterdays testing in my kitchen whilst my wife was out on an errand. She returned whilst I was still testing and she was not pleased to say the least.

Trail Designs makes so many size cones it's impossible for me to keep track of who is getting good results with their particular set-up.

Dan Durston might have an answer for us. He's the pioneer in the use of the StarLyte in the Cones.

Edited by zelph on 05/04/2013 07:51:56 MDT.