StarLyte Burner With Cap
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
StarLyte Burner With Lid on 01/08/2013 19:03:59 MST Print View

StarLyte Burner only with lid.

Lid fits nice and tight so fuel does not evaporate.

Burner has 1.5 ounce fuel capacity. Holds 1oz. fuel in suspension, will not spill out if accidentally tipped over. Great safety factor.

Buy several, fill them at home with caps on and go hiking. No need to carry a fuel bottle.

Total cost is $13.00 and that includes the shipping.

You get 1 burner and 1 lid

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-burner-with-lid.php

Edited by zelph on 05/31/2013 05:36:13 MDT.

Dustin Judd
(ddujnitsud) - F
You're out on 01/11/2013 16:50:56 MST Print View

The webpage says you are out of stock. Are you taking back orders and if so how long? I've tried most other alky stoves, but this one I have not.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

StarLyte Burner With Cap on 01/11/2013 21:39:44 MST Print View

I sold out the same day I listed them. I'll have a hundred made by Monday. I'll have the paypal buttons up again on Monday. I'll also have some made that will burn better in a caldera cone. The top wil be reduced in diameter.

Dustin Judd
(ddujnitsud) - F
dimensions? on 01/12/2013 15:13:56 MST Print View

I am hoping to use mine inside my Emberlit or El mini wood burner. Can you post the dimensions of each please?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: dimensions? on 01/12/2013 16:10:37 MST Print View

They are 2" in diameter and 1" in height.

Fuel capacity is 1.5 ounces.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Starlyte on 01/12/2013 18:42:18 MST Print View

Awesome stuff. Nice to see people are picking these up.

Jacob Smith
(Wrongturn) - MLife

Locale: The Soda
Re: on 01/12/2013 18:49:17 MST Print View

Ordered mine last week. Hoping to put it to use on my section hike over spring break.

Mark Rash
(markrvp) - M

Locale: North Texas
Choosing a stove on 01/13/2013 16:52:05 MST Print View

Hi Dan:

Is the purpose of this model to have spares for a full Starlyte Burner that has the pot stand? So on a trip you'd take one of these fully fueled instead of a fuel bottle and just swap out stoves? If I buy one of these, I would need to fashion some type of pot stand, right?

You have so many neat stoves, but I never know why I should use one instead of another. If you have some spare time I would really appreciate a comparison chart on your website of your different stoves as well as recommendations for picking a stove.

Thanks!

Derrick White
(miku) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
Where to Order on 01/13/2013 19:02:01 MST Print View

Dan - where can I order the one that works in The Caldera Cone? Thanks Derrick

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Modified StarLyte on 01/14/2013 13:59:10 MST Print View

I just finished making a batch of 100 StarLyte burners. 50 original and 50 modified to burn in confined space as under the Calder Cone.

I know the modified one worked for me a couple of years ago when I made a cone shaped windscreen to surround a kmart grease pot supported by a StarLyte stove with the burner modified. The windscreen being wider at it's base allowed for less radiant heat to reach the stove. The top portion of the windscreen was held to within 1/8" of the pot. Keep in mind the windscreen does not support the pot as in the Caldera Cone. The windscreen and stove fit nicely inside the grease pot that is capable of holding 4 cups of water. There is a thread over at Whiteblaze that I created to show the set-up and will post it here later.

I have the two different burners now listed at my stove store. I was a little bit disturbed to find that my material costs have risen to a point that I had to increase my prices.

In the photo below the burner on the left has been modified to reduce the rate of burn. The fact that the fuel is held in suspension, in my opinion, makes it perfom in a more stable fashion in an enclosed windsreen.

<center>

</center>

Mark, yes you need to fashion a pot support 2 inches tall. The pot needs to be 1" from the top of the burner. I'll put the comparison chart towards the top of my list of things to do.

Derrik, the new Modified burner will work in the Caldera Cone. It is availble now at:

Edited by zelph on 01/18/2013 12:05:31 MST.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Modified StarLyte on 01/15/2013 08:04:17 MST Print View

These two videos show how the modified burner works with a windscreen

<center>

</center>

Mole J
(MoleJ) - F

Locale: UK
Why modified? on 01/15/2013 10:35:44 MST Print View

Hi Dan
I'm not totally clear on why the modified Starlyte is better for using with a cone?
I'm guessing fuel efficiency?

I have been using my first standard Starlyte for over 2 years only with my MSR Ti kettle and homemade split cone with no perceived issues re boil times with acceptable fuel efficiency. Is the modified version more fuel efficient because it burns slower?

Does this mean boil time is increased at all?

thanks

Mole

Edited by MoleJ on 01/15/2013 10:40:55 MST.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Why modified? on 01/15/2013 11:49:09 MST Print View

I thouroughly tested the original StarLyte stove with the cone shaped windscreen and the kmart grease pot. I kept windscreen configuration as you see it in the videos. I decreased the surface are of the StarLyte burner in small increments until I achieved the goal of 2 cups boiled with 1/2 ounce of fuel. Those tests were performed under ideal conditions. The pot was made of aluminum which conducts heat most efficiently. With the original Starlyte I was not able to get a boil with 1/2 ounce of fuel. So I was looking for the fuel efficiency. Each time I made a change in the burner I tested it 3 times to make sure if there was a change in fuel efficiency. It takes a very long time to do the testing because of having to wait for the stove, windscreen, pot and test surface(table) to cool off.

Yes, cooking time increases and so does fuel efficiency. "Tony" here on BPL instilled in my mind that slow is good. In the video above I think it took 9 min. to get the boil with the Ramen noodles in the pot.

Mole, Under ideal conditions can you boil 2 cups of water with 1/2 ounce of fuel
using your split cone and Ti Kettle?

Edited by zelph on 01/15/2013 16:23:49 MST.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: StarLyte Burner With lID on 01/15/2013 13:04:42 MST Print View

How do you snuff out the flame on the Starlyte Burner in order to save unused fuel?

If the lid is plastic and it's laid on top of the burner to snuff the flame, seems like the lid perhaps might get damaged (melted) with repeated snuffings.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Why modified? on 01/15/2013 13:12:13 MST Print View

"With the original Starlyte I was not able to get a boil with 1/2 ounce of fuel. It may have boiled with .07 oz. or a little bit more or less."

Dan, that is probably not what you meant to write.

--B.G.--

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Modified StarLyte Burner on 01/15/2013 16:18:34 MST Print View

Richard, that is correct, the lid will melt. Get your face close to the burner and give a good "poooof" not a wimpy puff :-)

Bob, you're right. Not what I wanted to say. I deleted the entire sentence. Thanks for the heads up. :-)

Edited by zelph on 01/15/2013 16:25:47 MST.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Starlyte on 01/15/2013 16:26:13 MST Print View

"How do you snuff out the flame on the Starlyte Burner in order to save unused fuel?"

I use my pot lid (even though it's carbon fiber) and just set it on the stove. The flame goes out in a matter of a second, so the lid doesn't really get warm. Any means of cutting off the oxygen works well - gently set your pot directly on it, use a lid, cover it with a fry pan lid or ti mug (takes a couple seconds) or just give it a good puff.

And yes, do wait a little bit before slapping the plastic lid on there as you can melt it a bit if you toss it on in the first 60 seconds or so.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Re: Starlyte on 01/15/2013 18:50:17 MST Print View

Thanks for the info about snuffing the burner, Dan Y and Dan D.

Another question: Dany Y, Dan D, (or anyone else), have you tried using a StarLyte Burner (modified, unmodified, or both) in a Clikstand setup (stand w/windscreen)?

Here's a link to a diagram of the Clikstand specs at Clikstand's website:

http://www.clikstand.com/specs_cs2.html

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Starlyte on 01/15/2013 20:10:12 MST Print View

I have not used a clickstand with the StarLytes. According to the Clickstand sites' specs, the burner should be placed on the shelf that supports the Trangia. The top of the Starlyte should be 1" away from the pot.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

StarLyte Burner and Clikstand on 01/15/2013 20:47:07 MST Print View

Re setting the StarLyte on the Clikstand shelf, two issues seem to arise.

First, the hole in the center of the Clikstand shelf is 3" diameter since it's designed to suspend a Trangia burner, but the Starlyte Burner's diameter is only about 2" (I believe) -- although one way to support the StarLyte would be to use the "solid fuel adapter" accessory (see link below at Clikstand's website) that would keep the StarLyte Burner from setting too low.

http://www.clikstand.com/p_accessories.html

The second issue then comes into play -- the StarLyte setting on the "solid fuel adapter" would seem to be somewhat less than an inch to the bottom of the pot.

Based on the Clikstand specs, the distance from SkyLyte's burner to the pot's bottom might be as litte as half an inch given the SkyLyte's 1" height and the Clikstand's overall height of about 3".

Don't know exact height from the Clikstand's shelf to the pot's bottom, but it looks about half the overall 3" height of the stand (or 1 1/2"). If that's the case, then the burner-to-pot distance using a StarLyte Burner set on the shelf may be only half-an-inch. Probably too close.

The reason I'm curious about using the StarLyte Burner (modified or unmodified) with the ClikStand is the StarLyte Burner would afford a lighter burner option for use with the Clikstand. The only alcohol burners that the Clikstand appears to be designed to fit well is the Trangia burner and (with an adapter shown at the above link) the Evernew Ti burner.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: StarLyte Burner and Clikstand on 01/15/2013 21:50:59 MST Print View

"Based on the Clikstand specs, the distance from SkyLyte's burner to the pot's bottom might be as litte as half an inch given the SkyLyte's 1" height and the Clikstand's overall height of about 3". "

What in the devil is a SkyLyte burner?

--B.G.--

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Whooops! on 01/15/2013 22:04:34 MST Print View

"SkyLyte" is my way of misspelling "StarLyte" by mistake.

On the other hand, there really is a "SkyLyte" -- a female half-elf ranger, originally from the Filitir Forest:

http://wiki.ardrana.net/index.php?title=SkyLyte

Ain't the internet great!!! But that's a digression . . .

Edited by JRScruggs on 01/15/2013 22:06:47 MST.

Mole J
(MoleJ) - F

efficiency on 01/16/2013 01:05:45 MST Print View

Dan

In past when tested my Starlyte managed 500ml (2.1 cups) on 20ml (2/3 ounce) with a little burn time to spare.

Your mod sounds a bit more efficient, so look forward to resumption of International orders! ;)

(glitches when attempting to post lead to multiple posts with no info- site or my phone?!)

Edited by MoleJ on 01/16/2013 01:22:44 MST.

Mole J
(MoleJ) - F

efficiency on 01/16/2013 01:07:48 MST Print View

Edited by MoleJ on 01/16/2013 01:17:35 MST.

Mole J
(MoleJ) - F

efficiency on 01/16/2013 01:08:58 MST Print View

Edited by MoleJ on 01/16/2013 01:13:08 MST.

Mole J
(MoleJ) - F

efficiency on 01/16/2013 01:14:23 MST Print View

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: StarLyte Burner and Clikstand on 01/16/2013 08:23:55 MST Print View

For those of you that want to use a Clickstand, I could send along an empty burner container that weighs 2 grams to be used as a shim. Total height of the two would be 2". The Clickstand is 3" so that would give you the 1" spacing needed to the bottom of the pot. Place the shim on the ground and then the burner on top of it.

Sometime today I'll calculate what an average cost will be to ship International and then include the paypal button. The same evening I listed the modified burner I received 3 International orders and then I had to send emails to them asking for additional money to cover the postage. I then had to put up the notice of no Internationl orders. I shipped those orders yesterday over the counter at the post office. Customs forms have to be filled out. I have to drive 8 miles round trip in foul weather...boohoo, boohoo, sniffle sniffle :)

<center>

</center>

Side note:

In all of my testing I use a 2.5 cup capacity aluminum pot that is 5.5 inches in diameter. It has a bail handle for lifting. I use denatured alcohol as my fuel. I test in ideal conditions.

Edited by zelph on 01/16/2013 08:30:44 MST.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Re: Re: Re: StarLyte Burner and Clikstand on 01/16/2013 08:39:34 MST Print View

"boohoo, boohoo, sniffle sniffle..."
But we really appreciate it, Dan.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: StarLyte Burner and Clikstand on 01/16/2013 09:10:32 MST Print View

WilliamC3, Thank You. Guys like you are the reason I continue to ship International. Your burner went all the way to Turkey, the other 2 went to the UK. I watch Downton Abbey every Sunday. I keep informed on British history that way;) I'm still waiting to see them doing some backpacking :) (other than the military) I have friends all over the world because of the internet/stoves. It's an ejoyable experience. Thanks for making it possible. :)

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Companion to Caldera Cone. on 01/16/2013 10:06:47 MST Print View

The regular and modified burners are a good companion to the Caldera Cone and other light weight pot supports.

Reasons:
1. A few grams less.
2. No need to prime stove in cold weather.
3. Small in size for compact storage in pot.
4. Will not become deformed by heat.
5. Remaining fuel can be left in burner and capped for fuel efficieny.
6. User friendly

I've added the International paypal buttons to my stove store site.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: StarLyte Burner and Clikstand on 01/16/2013 10:48:45 MST Print View

Dan - I placed an order for a modified and an unmodified Starlyte Burner a few days ago with the idea of using the modified version with a Caldera Cone and trying to use the unmodified version with a Clikstand. If you haven't shipped that order yet, would like to accept your offer to have an empty burner included for use as a shim like you suggest for the Clikstand. Very much appreciated!!!

If the order has already shipped so that the empty burner can;t be included, I'll fiddle with the Clikstand/Starlyte to achieve the 1" gap some other way.

Edited by JRScruggs on 01/16/2013 10:55:42 MST.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: StarLyte Burner and Clikstand on 01/16/2013 13:05:59 MST Print View

Hi Richard, they were shipped yesterday. I'll put a shim in the mail today, no charge. Customer appreciation day ;)

Richard, I made a mistake, that was not your order I shipped yesterday. it was for Nick in California. oops. I'll modify your order and ship the shim today.

Edited by zelph on 01/16/2013 13:55:03 MST.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: StarLyte Burner and Clikstand on 01/16/2013 14:01:10 MST Print View

Wow! That's really nice, Dan. Much appreciated.

Makes me want to go on a shopping spree with cottage outfits to show how much I appreciate them all!!!

Note to self: Gotta be strong; resist the temptation; don't do it, don't do it . . . at least for right now. Maybe tomorrow.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Starlyte on 01/16/2013 17:15:06 MST Print View

I don't really like posting hard data because there are so many variables that fair comparison is tough, but here's my typical results for a normal Starlyte in a Caldera Cone.

Setup
- Caldera Cone with SKINNY/TALL 750ml Pot (Evernew ECA278)
- 8 extra hole punches around the base of the cone (not shown)
- Starlyte stove (not restricted version) with pot held 1.8 - 1.9" above ground

Note that a wide pot can be 10-20% more efficient, and that you're considering starting water temp, water volume and fuel type when comparing any numbers.

Typical Results
Methanol:
500ml of 40F Water: Boil in 9:40 using 15.6g (0.67 fl oz @ 23.3g/fl oz (29ml))
473ml of 70F Water: Boil in 8:20 using 11.4g (0.53 fl oz)

Ethanol:
500ml of 40F Water: Boil in 9:30 using 13.2g (0.57 fl oz)
473ml of 70F Water: Boil in 7:50 using 10.8g (0.46 fl oz)

Starlyte graph

Performance Notes/ Restricted Starlyte Stoves
When I vary pot height, the performance changes along a predictable curve. Putting the pot lower is slower but more fuel efficient, while raising the pot is faster but uses more fuel. So it's a trade-off between fuel economy and speed. My thread below goes into this with graphs.

In my setup, the restricted Starlyte stoves land further along the curve towards fuel economy than the regular Starlyte. So everything else being equal, instead of boiling in 9min using 0.6oz, it might boil in 10min using 0.55oz. It's not a bad trade off, but I can achieve the same thing with the regular Starlyte by lowering my pot down 0.2". So because my pot height is easily adjusted on the fly with my silicone band, I can choose whatever trade off I prefer and then is no need for the restricted stove as I can simulate its performance. By using the regular Starlyte, I still have the full potential for speed should I desire (ie. winter use).

So my experience is that people with non-pot height adjustable setups should choose the regular Starlyte if they value speed more, or the restricted one if they value fuel efficiency more. With either, you'll likely need to add a few air holes to your cone to get enough air. You can simulate this by setting a few stakes under the cone to create an air gap under the cone. Also see this thread for more discussion on this:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=71861

Full info of my setup (pg 2-5)
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=57721&startat=20

Edited by dandydan on 01/17/2013 11:17:31 MST.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Starlyte on 01/16/2013 20:21:06 MST Print View

Thanks Dan, lots of good information there. I'll be sure to read what you have in the links.

Here is some data that Tony Beasley documented a while back:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews.html?forum_thread_id=20958&skip_to_post=167837#167837

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: StarLyte Burner With Lid on 01/18/2013 12:23:23 MST Print View

Here is a partial quote from Tony Beaselys' testing of the StarLyte. You'll notice he snuffs out the stove after each test to calculate fuel usage by weight. So by snuffing out your burner, then waiting for it to cool and placing the air tight lid on it you'll be able to experience some very efficient fuel savings.

(quote)
Testing

Test condition was in my garage at 600 meters elevation, the ambient temperature was around 170C, I used Australian denatured alcohol 95% ethanol content. In each test I place 20 grams of fuel in the stove and after reaching 950C as quickly as possible I placed a tin over the stove to put the flame out, this was the same for all tests.

I ran four tests on the starlyte stove (heating rates can be seen in graph below) in each test I heated 0.5 liters of water from tap temperature to 950C and then normalized the results to grams used to heat water 800C (g/800C). As the stove was sitting directly on my test bench and the test surface was warming up between tests I placed a cooled piece of 3 mm ply under the stove before each new test.

Results

1/ 14.0 g/80.0C
2/ 16.0 g/80.0C
3/ 13.1 g/80.0C
4/ 12.3 g/80.0C

Average of test 1,3 &4 = 13.1 grams or about 16.4 mls

Note test 2: while doing the test I noticed that the pot was not central on the stove, I must have knocked the stove off center while placing the pot on it, I decided to leave this incorrect placement until the end of the test, this non central placement showed more fuel being used than the other tests.

Notes test 1&3: in these tests the windshield was left slightly open so I could look at the flame, I suspect this might have some effect on the efficiency.

Notes test 4: in this test I had the windshield full closed, as can be seen in the results this was the most efficient test. (end quote)

More can be found here:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews.html?forum_thread_id=20958&skip_to_post=167837#167837

Edited by zelph on 01/19/2013 08:33:21 MST.

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Locale: San Diego County
Re:StarLyte Burner With Lid on 01/18/2013 12:39:16 MST Print View

Thanks for the test results and data Dan. Looks like you've got a very efficient stove/cooking setup.

p.s. It looks like all of your temperature numbers are missing a decimal point. I'm assuming 800C should be 80.0C etc.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re:StarLyte Burner With Lid on 01/19/2013 08:34:50 MST Print View

Thank you Richard for the heads-up. I made the correction and now all is well:-)

Bill Law
(williamlaw) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Deal, or no deal? on 01/19/2013 10:37:17 MST Print View

No deal.

Is it just me, or does this entire thread not belong under Gear, instead?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: no deal! on 01/20/2013 18:53:14 MST Print View

"Is it just me, or does this entire thread not belong under Gear, instead?"

Bill, no deal!!!! :-)))

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Experimentation Feedback on 01/26/2013 19:18:07 MST Print View

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing on their experimenting with the burners.

Got one persons email saying their boil time has increased with the modified burner. That's normal. I asked if he was able to get 2 cups to boil with 1/2 ounce of fuel while using the 10-12 stove. So far no answer from him.

I suspect most folks are using titanium pots and are expecting longer boil times.

In my test with the aluminum grease pot purchased at kmart, I was able to get the boil with 1/2 ounce in 9 min.

Cary Dwiggins
(Cary75)

Locale: NW
My tests... on 01/26/2013 21:26:38 MST Print View

I did not get a boil (189degrees) with 14.5ml, but it is 44 degrees outside and my water is only 43 degrees. With just 16 ml I get a boil at 13 minutes and out at just under 14 minutes. With 20 ml I got a 9 minute boil and out at almost 16 minutes. with my trail designs I only reached 170 degrees and out at just over 8 minutes. I like my modified starlyte! unfortunately, I have given up on simmering with it. It just burns too hot, even when I cover 90 percent of the top!
Thanks Zelph!
Cary

Forgot to add that I used a 1.3L evernew in a caldera cone

Edited by Cary75 on 01/27/2013 08:21:51 MST.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: My tests... on 01/28/2013 09:47:41 MST Print View

Thanks a lot for the feedback Cary.

That's a lot of Ti to heat up.

No!!!!! don't give up on simmering with it. Try one of these older methods:

<center>

</center>

<center>

</center>

<center>

</center>

<center>

</center>

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

INTERNATIONAL ORDERS on 01/28/2013 20:25:48 MST Print View

International Orders have been suspended for all items due to a unreal increase in United States Postal Rates rates.

As an example, I shiped an order for a esbitmizer to Canada today. Actual shipping cost for the 2.5 ounce envelope was $7.35

5.5 ounce box to Israel cost $12.75

7 oz box to Switzerland cost $12.75

I'll resume shipping International orders once I've determined a flat rate price. I'll announce it here when they resume.

ed hyatt
(edhyatt) - MLife

Locale: The North; UK
INTERNATIONAL ORDERS on 01/29/2013 01:14:49 MST Print View

Dan - how depressing; getting to be like UK postage rates :-(

I've used my cone-adapted Starlyte (in the wilds of the back yard - a windless place that has been hovering around zero centigrade for the last week or so).

Using the 1.3 Evernew with 500ml I can get a gentle 'rising bubbles' with 15ml ethanol. About 17ml and it boils. About 13 minutes.

Using such a big pan is probably not useful for 2 cups, but it was to hand. I'd guess the efficiency might rise with a 600/900 pan...?

Cary Dwiggins
(Cary75)

Locale: NW
re simmering on 01/31/2013 15:35:07 MST Print View

I tried the cat food can, but I got a smelly burnt can. Do you remove the inner BPA material? I tried putting a foil aluminum tin ( not the cupcake liners) with just a few holes punctured on top and once it got hot, it still burned really hot. Also, I put a lg metal washer on top, so that only a couple of mm hole remained in the middle, but once the metal heated up, the stove reverted to a lg hot flame. All my efforts at simmering seem ineffective once the metal heats up. In fact, it seems to almost make it hotter! I had flames shooting around the sides of my pan and I couldn't put it out in my usual way ( by smothering with an upside down foil tin, or even with a pot lid ).

Cary

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: re simmering on 01/31/2013 18:22:52 MST Print View

Cary, did you cut the cat food can down to approximately the same height as in the above video?

BPA in all lined food cans is leached out into the food during the heating process while the food is in the can. That info comes from a research institute in the United Kingdom and can be found on my website.

Even though the cat food can smelled burnt, did it simmer the StarLyte?

Try it again in the cat food can with only 1/2 ounce of fuel. Under normal cooking procedures you will use 1/2 ounce to boil the water/product and then snuff out the burner and refuel it and then put it into the cat food can to get the reduced flame height. Center the burner in the can.

Edited by zelph on 01/31/2013 18:27:16 MST.

Fred Eoff
(fredeoff) - F - M

Locale: Northwest
Boil Time on 02/04/2013 14:34:33 MST Print View

Using Everclear in the unmodified Starlyte with my Caldera KegF I get the following:

16 ozs of cold tap water to a rolling boil in 8:15. 1 oz of Everclear in the Starlyte and the burn continued to 12:32. If I was quick about it I could have done another 8 ounces for coffee!

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Boil Time on 02/04/2013 16:23:44 MST Print View

Fred, that's great feedback, thank you. Everyone using the keg and the unmodified StarLyte should be able to get the same results. I'll try it in my keg setup sometime this week. Thanks again Fred!

THE GOOD NEWS FOR INTERNATIONALS:

International Orders have resumed. Postal rates have increased world wide. Striking postal workers are to blame, not the unions. Unions want to cut back on benefits and wages.

ed hyatt
(edhyatt) - MLife

Locale: The North; UK
THE GOOD NEWS FOR INTERNATIONALS...Ouch on 02/05/2013 02:00:13 MST Print View

Well I'm glad I ordered mine before USPS charges went up...not that I blame workers wishing to protect their rights...

I tried a couple into my Checkout - $24 apiece....$48 for two...$96 for four - there is no postage adjustment built in for ordering multiple stoves - pity as I guess they would all be sent in the same box?

I did want a couple more :-(

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: THE GOOD NEWS FOR INTERNATIONALS...Ouch on 02/06/2013 18:14:00 MST Print View

ed Hyatt, friends like you are special. Just let me know what you want and I'll send you a Paypal Invoice to include the actual shipping sharges. I'll combine shipping. I'm easy. I'm just a little guy off in a corner of syberspace. I hand make all my stuff, no cnc outsourcing here. My store is understaffed :-))) Non-Union ;-)

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

StarLyte burner to pot distance on 02/28/2013 09:15:08 MST Print View

This thread has a lot of answers for someone having questions on the distance needed for burner to pot distance. I had 2 emails that were answered by the info found in this thread. Thanks for all the feedback info.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: StarLyte burner to pot distance on 04/19/2013 09:23:48 MDT Print View

Came across this photobucket video shows how the StarLyte is used with Back Country Boiler.

Click on it
 video 2009-07-14111958.mp4

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

New Foster can for StarLytes on 04/24/2013 20:33:33 MDT Print View

I made 4 Foster cans for use with the StarLyte burner when placed under a Caldera-Keg system. No shim is needed. This photo shows the new can on the right. The supporting ridgeline has been relocated 3/4" higher up on the can. The can will then be 3/4" lower inside the cone for more heat absorbtion.

photo FosterCaldera001_zps20fc9841.jpg

The new can is offered only to BPL viewers. It can not be seen by others viewing my stove store site. You have to use this link to see the sale page. I made 4 of these today along with more of the regular cans for the Cone.

The link:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/foster-for-starlyte.php

Edited by zelph on 04/24/2013 20:37:00 MDT.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: pot stand for StarLytes on 04/24/2013 20:40:59 MDT Print View

Dan,

Do you know when you will have the pot stands back in stock?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: New Foster can for StarLytes on 04/24/2013 20:54:05 MDT Print View

"Do you know when you will have the pot stands back in stock?"

Steven, I'll make one up for you tomorrow morning. Go ahead and do the paypal transaction and I'll ship late afternoon.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
StarLyte Burner With Cap on 04/24/2013 22:21:00 MDT Print View

Thanks, Dan! Sorry to veer this thread into yet another slightly-off direction.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: TD Sidewinder Caldera Cone on 05/03/2013 20:49:29 MDT Print View

Chad Poindexter over at "Sticksblog" has found a use for the Modified StarLyte burner.

http://sticksblog.com/2013/05/03/td-s...

and here is his recent video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8-bTAS9PkA

Mole J
(MoleJ) - F

Modified Starlyte - no boil for me :( on 05/04/2013 06:24:21 MDT Print View

Dan

As you may remember

I have bought 2 Starlytes over the last few years - both still going strong - though the the first is a bit corroded now.

I recently got a new modified Starlyte and a new standard one(through Ed H) .

In my Evernew 600 + Ti sidewinder:

I have done tests several times with both new burners using 15ml fuel and 500ml cold water. Standard flame gap.

The standard Starlyte gets me a rolling boil between 10 and 12 minutes and burns till 13 or so.

Cannot (repeatedly) get a full boil going with the modified. Get the 'thermal feedback' noise, and sometimes bubbles form on the pan base. No Boil though. Burns out a 13 mins or so.

Any suggestions? I'm guessing it's better for a narrow mug style pot?
(I'm not too bothered as I can just remove the insert and make it a standard Starlyte - which works fine!)

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Modified Starlyte - no boil for me :( on 05/04/2013 07:44:05 MDT Print View

Mole, try raising the burner up towards the pot 1.5cm. Can you get a boil with the 12-10 using 15ml of fuel? Is there soot forming on your pot? Sometimes your water may be colder and thus making the difference? Try off setting the burner away from where the most draft is entering the cone. Move it towards the draft side so the incoming air pushes the flame towards the center of the pot. Try to view what's going on inside the cone so you can see if the flame is centered. With my cone I have to have the burner off center to compensate for the incoming air. Small drafts can have an affect on the flame pattern. I had my kitchen windows open when doing my tests and could see the flames dance around and move the flame off center and the flames go up the side of the Foster's pot.

I have only used the Modified StarLyte in my Cone designed for the Foster's can. I consistently get 2 cups to boil with 15ml of denatured alcohol. Boil times are approximately 7.5 min. and continue to boil for 1 min. Flame out around 9 min. Those are results of yesterdays testing in my kitchen whilst my wife was out on an errand. She returned whilst I was still testing and she was not pleased to say the least.

Trail Designs makes so many size cones it's impossible for me to keep track of who is getting good results with their particular set-up.

Dan Durston might have an answer for us. He's the pioneer in the use of the StarLyte in the Cones.

Edited by zelph on 05/04/2013 07:51:56 MDT.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Modified Starlyte - no boil for me :( on 05/04/2013 08:23:17 MDT Print View

Mole,

I use the 900mL evernew short/wide with the modified starlyte in a Ti sidewinder Caldera Cone. I don't offset anything, I don't use any shim to raise the stove...i just put the the stove on the ground and the pot in the cone and frankly, it works phenomenally well.

I consistently get rolling boils at about 7 mins with a half ounce of denatured alcohol, 1-2 cups cold water...and last trip it was SO windy and it still worked like a champ.

Sorry yours doesn't...but from my experience the short/wide pot is fine.

Edited by Jenmitol on 05/04/2013 08:24:05 MDT.

Mole J
(MoleJ) - F

Re: Re: Modified Starlyte - no boil for me :( on 05/04/2013 09:07:00 MDT Print View

thanks Dan

and Jennifer

I've tried it with and without shims.

Will try again sometime.

Am attempting to boil just over 2 cups of cold water each time.

As I say, I have success with the normal Starlyte and 1/2 oz fuel so not too worried!

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Starlyte on 05/05/2013 06:32:08 MDT Print View

In my tests, the restricted Starlyte took about 1:30 longer to boil than the regular Starlyte. Since uses the same or less fuel, if you can boil on 15ml with the regular one you should be able to boil with the restricted one, but something must be up. Have you tried giving it more fuel to see if you can reach a boil in a few more minutes?

In my tests, the restricted Starlyte saved about 1g (or ~1ml) of fuel per boil. To me, this wasn't worth the slower boil times so I've stayed with the regular model.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Re: Modified Starlyte - no boil for me :( on 05/05/2013 07:17:34 MDT Print View

Mole, can you get a boil with 15ml of fuel in the 12-10 stove?
I got comparable results to Dan (Durston) when comparing the standard and modified Starlytes with the 600ml Evernew and Sidewinder. The 12-10 stove needed about 2.5g more fuel than the modified Starlyte.
I didn't do many tests with the Sidewinder, but in the ones I did I found that the pot resting on the cone with a 1/2" shim used slightly less fuel but took longer than without the shim.

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Locale: Lost in the mountains
Starlyte Modified on 05/05/2013 18:06:14 MDT Print View

I have a few different alcohol stoves. I decided to test my 3 favorites. What follows are the results of that test. While the modified Starlyte was "slow" it consumed the least amount of fuel.

All tests were completed using a Trail Designs Ti-Tri setup for a .6 Evernew Titanium pot. Interesting results.

ALCOHOL STOVE TEST

All tests used 14 grams (1/2 oz) of alcohol and 342 grams (12 oz) of water.

Trail Designs 12-10
Boil time 5:13
Burn time 7:10
Fuel used to boil 10.2 grams

Zelph Starlyte modified
Boil time 7:05
Burn time 12:00
Fuel used to boil 8.3 grams

Goldgear Ram Eco
Boil time 4:15
Burn time 5:45
Fuel used to boil 10.3 grams

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Stove tests on 05/05/2013 19:08:24 MDT Print View

Wow those are some good numbers. 7 min and 8g of fuel is amazing. I presume you've got the wide/shallow 600ml pot?

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Re: Starlyte Modified on 05/05/2013 20:00:45 MDT Print View

Reggie, a few questions.

Which Ti-Tri system did you use when doing the tests? Classic, Sidewinder, Fissure or Fusion?

Did you use a heat reflector/ground protector under the stoves?

How did you figure the amount of fuel to reach a boil if you let all the fuel burn out to get a total burn time? I assume it was just some simple math that I am not thinking of...?

When using the 12 - 10 stove, did you insert the stakes through the cone to lift the pot up slightly and use it as suggested, or did you just set the pot in the cone and let the lip rest on the cone like when using Esbit?

When using the Starlyte, did you shim it, or lay it directly on the ground? How did you put the pot on the cone, again, on the stakes to lift it up, or the lip of the pot resting on the cone?

When using the Goldgear stove, did you just set the pot right on top of the stove as it is intended to be, but inside the cone? I haven't taken mine out to try it with my 0.9L cone, but I know it is a bit taller than the others, so I figure it will lift the pot up a bit in the cone.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Re: Stove tests on 05/06/2013 05:01:37 MDT Print View

Dan, 7 minutes and 8.3g for 352ml would translate to 10 minutes and 12g (15ml) for 500ml of water. This is good compared to most stoves, but would seem to be about standard for the modified Starlyte IME.

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Re: Re: Starlyte Modified on 05/06/2013 05:30:45 MDT Print View

Chad,

I used the Sidewinder.

The tests were performed in my kitchen but I did have a ground protector under all the stoves.

To figure out the amount of fuel used to boil the water I just calculated it out. The math may not be totally accurate. Let's say I used 1 oz of fuel, the stove boiled in 7.5 minutes, and burned a total of 10 minutes, then I calculated the fuel needed to boil the water was .75 oz. While I know this may not be totally accurate, I used that method on all the tests so I'm fairly comfortable saying which stove burned more fuel or less fuel to boil the water. My intent was not to see the exact amount of fuel burned, but see how much fuel each stove burned relative to the other stoves.

For the 12-10 stove, I did use the stakes to raise the pot to the correct height above the stove.

For the Starlyte, I set the stove directly on the "ground", pulled the stakes out of the cone, and let the pot rest on it's rim inside the cone. I didn't get an exact measurement of how high the pot was from the stove, but it looked to be very close to the optimum height.

For the Goldgear stove, I set the pot on top of the stove as intended and it was inside the cone. This stove, with the pan sitting directly on it, is a very good fit inside the Ti-Tri Sidewinder.

Hope this helps!

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Re: Stove tests on 05/06/2013 08:54:08 MDT Print View

Yes. Usual .6 Evernew. Wider than tall.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

ClikStand Tests on 05/08/2013 16:58:25 MDT Print View

Question for JRScruggs and others. Have you tried the accessory shelf for placing the StarLyte Burner onto as a means of elevating it. It looks like it should work well.

Here is a photo of it:

photo solid_fuel_adapter_in_clikstand_zps876ba2fe.jpg

Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
operating stove on a scale on 05/09/2013 21:39:36 MDT Print View

For weighing fuel use, could you rig an insulator under your stove so you could do burns with the stove on the scale? Read the starting, boil, and ending weights as the fuel burns. I'm thinking thin plywood topped with a foil metal reflector would work.

You could use the "tare" function on your scale, add fuel, light stove, then watch the weight return to a zero reading as the fuel burned.

Plan B: Add fuel, then push the "tare" button, light stove, watch the numbers go from zero to negative numbers during the burn. My scale reads negative from a "tare" beginning.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: operating stove on a scale on 05/11/2013 08:19:45 MDT Print View

Joe, that should work as you say as long as your scale has the accuracy to measure 1 gram. My scale lacks that ability. I'd definately do it the way you suggest.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Modified Burner on 05/12/2013 00:41:12 MDT Print View

I'm assuming since the 12-10's are basically the same (within a given iteration/generation) then it does not matter whether the modified StarLyte is used in a traditional aluminum high cone, ULC, or sidewinder cone. I'm planning on using this with my fusion-700 mug or my trad. ti-tri MSR Kettle cone. Anyway, just ordered one. Seemed to be in stock. Can't wait.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Modified Burner on 05/13/2013 21:43:07 MDT Print View

Brian, your burner was shipped today. I don't think it will matter if it's used in a traditional aluminum high cone, ULC, or sidewinder cone. Excellent results are being had in all of them. Let us know how it works with your fusion-700 mug.

Marc Kokosky
(mak52580) - F

Locale: Washington, DC Area
Re: Re: Modified Burner on 05/13/2013 22:43:42 MDT Print View

I ordered one to use on my last trip with my GVP Caldera setup. I loved the thing so much I just bought two more for some of my other systems. I'll use them as staples in my .9L Evernew sidewinder setup and a new MLD 475 setup I'm having TD work on. They may be a little slower but I love them.

Dan - please don't discontinue this one! I think you have a real winner given its size, weight and fuel storage. One of the main complaints of the 12-10 stove is that they are kind of big and bulky. Yours is able to do the same thing at about half the size and save the leftover fuel.

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Starlyte modified on 05/14/2013 08:43:58 MDT Print View

I agree with the last post. The Starlyte is such a fine piece of gear that I love it. It packs in my Evernew .6 with the TrailDesigns Titanium sidewinder cone. Perfect size! Saves room in my pack, uses less fuel, stores unused fuel, what's there not to live about it?

Great work on this one Dan.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

StarLyte Modified on 05/14/2013 12:16:51 MDT Print View

Thanks Dan! Got the shipping notice on Monday. Looking forward to checking out the stove and will definitely report back. One thing I like about the StarLyte that maybe has not been mentioned, is it is a lot sturdier than a 12-10. I know this doesn't matter so much being stored inside a mug or pot, but I like the fact that I don't have to handle the StarLyte gingerly, and it is not likely to blow away if unattended.

Marc Kokosky
(mak52580) - F

Locale: Washington, DC Area
Re: StarLyte Modified on 05/14/2013 12:40:18 MDT Print View

True I forgot about that last point. It is definitely rock solid. I've also found it a lot easier to blow out than the 12-10 stove which would blow away. I was always scared it would tip over of I blew too hard so id just let it burn out, and easte the fuel. Now it's like blowing out a birthday candle and putting the lid on it saving whatevers left.

Kevin Buggie
(kbuggie) - M

Locale: NW New Mexico
Re: Re: StarLyte Modified (can it really carry stored fuel without leaking?) on 05/14/2013 13:10:11 MDT Print View

I too like the compact size of the Starlyte M. as compared to my 12-10, and GOLD Gear stove. The latter being a real flame thrower that I love for uber-quick morning coffee boils, as long as there's not a drop of wind. The 12-10 never fails in any conditions, but the starlyte has made the cut on more trips lately due to it's size and the convenience of filling it with fuel for an overnight and leaving the fuel bottle at home.

Or that's what I thought. On three Sub24 trips lately I filled the Starlyte to the top with fuel, capped it with the provided green lid, and then watched it weep fuel at the slightest pressure applied to the lid, and any rise in the temperature during the trip. Leaking occured at the cap and at the metal seam along the side. I don't mind leaking everclear 190, but StripClean Green is something I don't want mixing with my gear. I carried it in a very small ziploc bowl to capture any leaking fuel, and without fail, the ziploc bowl is lined with fuel vapor droplets when unpacked at camp.

Also, when the stove is filled to capacity, I found it burned very hot and inefficiently (using twice the fuel for a 2.5 cup boil). On one trip in warmer weather (mid-80's)the stove full of fuel started to flame about a foot or more above the Foster's can. Scary. I was using GOLD Gear's Ti wind screen with about half of the perimeter breath holes covered on the windward side. I snuffed the flames, let it cool and then re-lit. After boiling water for FBC, I had no fuel left for morning coffee; used wood to heat instead.

Anybody else have this experience? After reading through the thread, it wasn't Zelph himself that suggested filling the stove in leu of carrying a separate fuel bottle on very short trips, but it seemed to be supported by other members.

Does it safely hold fuel in storage if I had not overfilled it? That would be useful, but not quite the 'leave the fuel bottle at home' scenario that people suggested was possible.
Do I just have a defective stove/seal?

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Filled StarLyte on 05/14/2013 14:05:23 MDT Print View

I've never carried mine full of a lot of fuel. If I overestimated the fuel needs for a meal, only the extra fuel was capped and carried. Could be 1/4 oz or so at times. Haven't had leaks yet. I don't plan on carrying it full of fuel.... just to be safe.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Filled StarLyte on 05/14/2013 16:44:33 MDT Print View

Kevin, I may have said something somewhere that was misleading. There is some info I give on my stove web page.:

StarLyte Burner only with lid.

Lid fits nice and tight so fuel does not evaporate.

Burner has 1.5 ounce fuel capacity. Holds 1 ounce fuel in suspension, will not spill out if accidentally tipped over. Great safety factor.

Buy several, fill them at home with one ounce, put caps on and go hiking. No need to carry a fuel bottle.(do not overfill)

Total cost is $13.00 and that includes shipping.

You get 1 burner and 1 lid

Marc, I won't discontinue this one. BPL used to sell the entire stove for a few years up until the time they closed the store. I'll make sure I have plenty in inventory to make sure I can ship same day order is received except Sunday and holidays.

These photos show what one ounce of fuel looks like in the body of the burner. When the burner is filled with absorbing material the one ounce is completely absorbed. If the burner is filled to the top and seeps out the side, return it for a replacement or use "Super Glue" on the seam to seal it.

Fuel Capacity 3 photo starlyteburnerfuelcapacity004_zps869e6e72.jpg photo starlyteburnerfuelcapacity005_zpsbe64a5a8.jpgFuel Capacity 1 photo starlyteburnerfuelcapacity002_zpsd875d243.jpg

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: Filled StarLyte on 05/14/2013 17:52:04 MDT Print View

Kevin,

Sounds like the seal between the cap and the body of the tin is leaking. That would explain the flare-up. Like Dan said, hit the seam of the cap and body with super-glue (brazing style) and you should be good.

I used my Starlyte on a thru, and what I think is the real stand out feature is not so much outright fuel storage but rather the elimination of the need to measure fuel. I would fill untill it "wet-out", boil my water and snuff. Next meal I would just top-off. The concern over measuring fuel or reclaiming unspent fuel is rendered moot, which is nice and simple when you just want to focus on hiking and sleeping.

Cheers

Edited by cfrey.0 on 05/14/2013 18:12:15 MDT.

Kevin Buggie
(kbuggie) - M

Locale: NW New Mexico
Re: Re: Filled StarLyte on 05/14/2013 18:15:34 MDT Print View

Thanks for the clarification, Dan. I suspected I was pushing the fuel capacity.

I do plan on ordering the original version of the StarLyte with and without the pot stand.

Depending on cone and pot type (FBC vs. in pot cooking), those three stoves can fill a number of different trip scenarios ranging from simple overnights with a self contained system of 1 oz.of fuel and stove, to longer multi-day adventures valuing that tough little cylinder of metal that boils water slow but steady on a scant half oz. of fuel.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Modified StarLyte on 05/23/2013 21:08:07 MDT Print View

Dan, Received the modified starlyte in a very timely manner. Thank you. Used 10 ml. in each of a 12-10 stove, original StarLyte, and Modified StarLyte. The modified StarLyte was clearly the most efficient. It's going in my traditional Ti-Tri in place of the 12-10 for use with my MSR 850 kettle. BUT ... I am wondering if you can make a modified StarLyte with the pot support like the original StarLyte had? I ask because I have a Suluk 46 windscreen and Heineken pot. The entire setup weighs 2.6 oz. with a StarLyte and green plastic top. Not too shabby at all. That said, the Heineken has the concaved beer can bottom, and doesn't like the traditional StarLyte. Flames go up the side and the water gets to almost boiling on 15 ml. but inevitably goes out. I am thinking (read: hoping) that the modified burner will focus enough to avoid this. I know that the added boil time will help. It's more novel than field gear for me at this point, but at 2.6 oz., if I got a consistent boil in 8 minutes or so, it would likely make all my trips of three days or less. What do you think? Thanks again. Thanks in advance for your help.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Modified StarLyte on 05/24/2013 06:53:48 MDT Print View

I ordered the modified Starlyte last night, pretty cheap, looking to see how it does in my CC. Good to know it will work well with my Foster's pot which I need to use some to see how it all goes.
Duane

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Modified StarLyte on 05/24/2013 11:05:53 MDT Print View

Duane, I'm shipping it out today:-)

Brian, I recently made one for a member here and shipped it on the 21st. He might have some results on it's use soon. I'll make a half dozen up and be ready to ship tomorrow. I originally made a bunch of them for the cone shaped windscreen that fit inside the K-Mart grease pot. The pot support held up the pot and the screen could be held in close to the pot. I think there is a photo of it in this thread. I think you'll have better results with the StarLyte stove with modified burner than the pot support that comes with the Suluk windscreen. The Suluk seemd to have a little too much thermal radiation feed back towards the burner. The slower modified burner should give you better results.

"Used 10 ml. in each of a 12-10 stove, original StarLyte, and Modified StarLyte. The modified StarLyte was clearly the most efficient. It's going in my traditional Ti-Tri in place of the 12-10 for use with my MSR 850 kettle."

Thanks for that feedback Brian, good to know:-)

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Modified StarLyte on 05/24/2013 11:18:57 MDT Print View

Thanks Dan. Closing in on 100. Not age, stoves.:) Look out HJ, about to catch you.
Duane

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Modified StarLyte on 05/25/2013 23:19:00 MDT Print View

Thanks Duane. I have a sale coming up on the Venom super Stoves(Fathers Day) do you have a Super Stove?

Jeff Sims
(jeffreytsims) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal
modified burner on 05/27/2013 17:02:07 MDT Print View

I finally found the opportunity to get out and use the new stove with a Ti Tri Sidewinder and .9 liter cook pot. I was right around the 10K mark and the water from the stream was cold. The was ice along the side of the seeps where water was sitting stagnant every morning. I am happy to report that I was able to get a rolling boil with just over the 25ML mark.

This is my first experience with an alcohol stove set up. I think I am hooked, and will be leaving the canister stove at home from now on.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: modified burner 1st timmer on 05/28/2013 15:15:43 MDT Print View

Jeff, It doesn't get any better than that :-) Great way to start your new adventure. 25ml+ with that altitude and temperatures is fantastic. The Ti Tri Sidewinder and the Modified StarLyte Burner make a good team. The burner works great with many different pot/cone set-ups. I'll soon have a "add to cart" paypal button for the StarLyte stove made with the modified burner. Thanks Jeff for the positive feedback :-)

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Venom on 05/28/2013 21:13:09 MDT Print View

Yep, I saw the deal. I finally saw the light with the modified StarLyte.
I need to make use of some of my alky stoves I have now, like the penny stove for the Fosters pot and of course play with my CC's, I have three of those now after buying a .550 ti pot off of a member here who included everything for a tri ti CC but the tent stakes with the pot. I have time to play on my camping and bp trips I go on about every weekend. That's an idea, leave the heavy book at home and bring some alcohol and a alky stove or two instead of a gas stove or two. I need to build my confidence up in them, instead of just thinking of them as a toy.
Duane

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Modified StarLyte on 05/30/2013 15:49:28 MDT Print View

Hey Brian. Your request has been acted upon :-))

The StarLyte Stove with Modified burner is now available. See it at the bottom of the page at this link:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-stove.php

Thanks You Brian for the request. :-)

Dan

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Mod.StarLyte Trail Designs on 06/20/2013 14:07:11 MDT Print View

Trail Designs likes the Modified StarLyte Burner and now makes it available with the "Sidewinder" set. I ordered a "Sidewinder" yesterday for my custom made pot that I named "Grandpa's Fire Pot" It was a "Fathers Day" idea. :-)

http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-sidewinder

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Trail Designs on 06/20/2013 15:54:24 MDT Print View

Wow neat to see it's come all the way to Trail Designs now offering this on their website. Do you know if they tested both the regular and modified stove? I wonder if the modified one gave them superior performance or if they just deemed it a safer stove.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Trail Designs on 06/21/2013 09:28:51 MDT Print View

Dan, they didn't mention the results of their testing but tha fact that they wanted to add the burners to their product line says the tests must have gone well. There are two factions out there, fast and easy does it :-) The Modified for the easy goin and the regular for the fast faction. The reduction ring on the modified comes out easily. Like a couple of folks have said: the price is right, might as well by one of each. They are built well and will last for a long time. The lid that comes with it is sturdy and will last along time as well. These little burners are user friendly. Dump the fuel in and light....no priming necessary in cold weather. No spill feature is precious!!!!