Forum Index » GEAR » NEW Patagonia Encapsil ("Dry Down") Parka

Display Avatars Sort By:
Babak Sakaki
(persianpunisher) - F
Ha ha on 01/12/2013 19:33:57 MST Print View

Glad my indecision was so apparent. Y'all are one of the best online communities out there. Kudos

Evan Daniel
(superalpine) - MLife
Re: PM me if you want my link to a review on the jacket on 01/16/2013 22:19:33 MST Print View

Super curious to watch your review. How do I get the link?

Ryan Bressler
(ryanbressler) - F
Take the Plunge on 01/17/2013 11:33:19 MST Print View

You realize you are now obligated to jump into a pond wearing the thing like the guy reviewing the brooks range for trail space did:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/brooks-range/mojave-jacket/

;)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Take the Plunge on 01/17/2013 16:36:03 MST Print View

I just looked at Ryan, talk about talking one for the team ;-)

Babak Sakaki
(persianpunisher) - F
Re: Re: PM me if you want my link to a review on the jacket on 01/17/2013 18:03:23 MST Print View

Evan,

I am trying to make good on my word to Patagonia. The video is going to remain private until March 1, or until told otherwise.

Kudos to the design team on this piece ;)

Babak Sakaki
(persianpunisher) - F
Encapsil Launch at the Boulder Store on 02/23/2013 00:13:24 MST Print View

I'll be wearin mine to the event...

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
Re: Encapsil Launch at the Boulder Store on 02/23/2013 00:21:19 MST Print View

^ a little cliché.. no?

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Encapsil Launch at the Boulder Store on 02/23/2013 00:39:55 MST Print View

Babak,

What is the launch date?

Please provide us a detailed report along with pictues.

They have just taken down three related Vimeo promotional videos... weird!

capture

Edited by richard295 on 02/23/2013 00:46:02 MST.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
Aeon Clad on 02/23/2013 03:55:09 MST Print View

This technology is from Aeon Clad, and Patagonia has bought into the company.
Aeon Clad is an Austin Texas based company.
Patagonia now holds a 15% stake in Aeon Clad.
I'm not sure if this is enough to guarantee that no other company gets to buy the license to the process. It may be possible for other companies to license it.
The name "Encapsil" is just a trademarked name for the Aeon Clad process which is used by Patagonia for its marketing purposes.

Link:
http://www.odrmag.com/productstechnology/1651-patagonia-triples-down-and-invests-in-aeonclad-coating.html

Edited by towaly on 02/23/2013 03:58:11 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Encapsil Launch at the Boulder Store on 02/23/2013 07:36:44 MST Print View

Maybe leaking video and then taking it down is clever marketing ploy to get people's interest?

Babak Sakaki
(persianpunisher) - F
Re: Re: Re: Encapsil Launch at the Boulder Store on 02/23/2013 13:44:44 MST Print View

I don't work for Patagonia….. I used to work for Backcountry.com in college and have since started an online gear "review" series, purely out of interest.

Someone on this thread, however, IS an employee of Patagonia and actually works under Eric Rice- the lead designer for this jacket….. (funny, the things you can learn from a few Google searches… kind of like how I found out about the existence of this jacket in the first place). Evan, if you are reading this- I would love to work for y'all…

The video probably wasn't leaked intentionally- it was a mistake. Patagonia is has been planning a very special launch for the product…. which goes on sale 3/1/13…. they didnt even have it at the Winter OR show- but rather, had photos of their climbing ambassadors wearing it…..

I have personal contacts with designers from TNF, MHW, and Arcteryx- I made good on my word to keep this jacket under wraps…. I hope Patagonia appreciates my integrity…

Also, Patagonia OWNS the trademark to Encapsil….

But this guy owns the www.encapsildown.com URL…. :)

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
It's just a jacket. on 02/23/2013 14:20:42 MST Print View

Integrity means doing the right thing without talking about it. You remind us of your "integrity" every single time you post.

If I were Patagonia, I'd have a hard time even remotely thinking about hiring you when you leaked their video, then confusingly redacted, then spent months debating the morality, philosophy, and engineering of said jacket and the leak, finally culminating in a job request that is as potentially unprofessional as possible. It's all trouble to me. Nobody wants to hire someone unstable or unpredictable, and you flip-flop on a weekly basis.

This whole episode surrounding the jacket is annoying. It's just Dri-Down. It's not the second coming of the backpacking world. It isn't even as big a deal to me as the Ghost Whisperer series from MH. The only person who's worked up about it appears to be you.

Peeved,
Max

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Ambitions on 02/23/2013 14:38:35 MST Print View

"...I hope Patagonia appreciates my integrity..."

Babak, I appreciate the information you have shared with us about Encapsil. But "integrity" is not a word that comes to mind for me when I read your posts, in general. I am sure there is, as you say, information about Evan's association with Patagonia on the internet. And under some circumstances it would be appropriate for him to disclose this affiliation in a post to these forums. But your disclosure of his affiliation is in poor form, in my opinion.

The impression that I (and several others I've spoken to) get from your posts, in general, is one of opportunism and immaturity.

Forgive the pointed wording of this post. It isn't meant to be hostile. I work in academia, and I've found it difficult to learn how to communicate with collaborators, funding organizations, etc. I'm socially awkward and bad at networking, and I have appreciated the feedback I've received about the way I communicate. Hopefully this input is at least interesting and perhaps helpful to you.

Edited by ckrusor on 02/23/2013 14:51:14 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Ambitions on 02/23/2013 15:56:12 MST Print View

"Forgive the pointed wording of this post. It isn't meant to be hostile. I work in academia, and I've found it difficult to learn how to communicate with collaborators, funding organizations, etc. I'm socially awkward and bad at networking..."

Colin, perhaps this would help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cuoxa59jxI

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
i've been following on 02/23/2013 16:23:58 MST Print View

this post without replying, although i may have more than once shaken my head. is this the best post on backpakinglight, probably not. is it the worst post, certainly not that either. a guy tries to do the right thing (even if he’s not 100% sure what the right thing is) and people give him sh!t for that - please.

Babak Sakaki
(persianpunisher) - F
Lol on 02/24/2013 00:44:33 MST Print View

I pay to be a member of this forum, and then my posts become censored, without being notified...... Perhaps if RJ or Patagonia would have contacted me initially- I wouldn't have been so keen to have shared any videos with anyone on this forum.

If you don't want to hear about new gear, you don't have to read abou it- but MANY people on this forum come here to read about the latest and greatest in outdoor gear.

Perhaps I am the only one who finds a revolutionary plasma coating for down more interesting that someone's mediocre tests on winter backpacking/ or searching for the "perfect hiking fleece".....

I have nothing to "gain" from this ordeal.... Other than Patagonia was kind enough to refund me for the jacket in return for keeping it under wraps.

Having one of their designers, try to "bait me" into posting a link to the video, after I've already confirmed with his superiors that I wouldn't- is in poor taste. Shame on you folks for the type of "reprimand"...... I am sharing information with you people- whether you appreciate it or not....

Perhaps I haven't done an exceptional job of explaining the backstory- but essentially my posts were censored because I shared some "embargoed information"...... B!tch please, I bought a jacket on my own dime from a company that sold it to me- whether there was a "mixup" on their end is to be determined....

And Max, I suggest doing a bit more "research" on other types of gear before making such mischaracterizations....

If I was immature and opportunistic, I'd have put the damn thing on eBay.....

Listen, I go to OR every year, to learn more about the upcoming products and take the time to conduct interviews with the designers/reps THAT ARE SHARED. Some of these videos, get thousands of views. I don't profit off it these videos, or gear reviews- they are done on my own time.....

Quite honestly, I am really disappointed with the reaction from some folks on here...... but haters are going to hate....

Babak Sakaki
(persianpunisher) - F
And FYI on 02/24/2013 00:51:29 MST Print View

I've been solicited by nearly a dozen outdoor publications and blogs to provide them a review of the jacket- and have rejected all requests.

Be "peeved", irked, or make a generalization about my character- but very, very few of you know me personally (some of the folks on here do).... I suggest refraining from passing judgement until taking the time to read a bit more about the "situation".

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
:) on 02/24/2013 01:10:47 MST Print View

Seem like a little Patagucci fan boy to me..

Get the gear bro, get the gear!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3SFqV0hMyo

Babak Sakaki
(persianpunisher) - F
Again, get to know me.... on 02/24/2013 01:18:04 MST Print View

I lived .2 miles from the SLC outlet while in college, and worked at Backcountry.... I have only paid full price for one piece of outerwear.... from any company.... (Down sweater hoody, which was stolen from my car years later)..... fanboy- I think not- someone who knows a lot about their gear (because he has sold tens of thousands of dollars worth if it)- absolutely.

Babak Sakaki
(persianpunisher) - F
But.... on 02/24/2013 01:22:00 MST Print View

That video was pure gold. Portlandia is one of the most entertaining shows currently on television ...