http://www.patagonia.com/patagonia-encapsil-down-belay-parka.wso

Also see:

http://www.rockandice.com/lates-news/patagonia-encapsil-down-belay-parka

and

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/02/patagonia-parka/

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
RE "NEW Patagonia Encapsil ("Dry Down") Parka" on 02/27/2013 17:37:53 MST Print View

Today is the first time I've seen this thread. I viewed Patagonia's website and it looks like a nice coat- but the $700 price tag puts it beyond my reach. On the bright side, many technologies drop in price over time. Hopefully that will be the case with this one, assuming it does what they claim and maintains it's loft and warmth even after a soaking.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Re: RE "NEW Patagonia Encapsil ("Dry Down") Parka" on 02/27/2013 18:12:35 MST Print View

The Technology will definitely drop in price after a while.

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: RE "NEW Patagonia Encapsil ("Dry Down") Parka" on 02/27/2013 18:59:27 MST Print View

The price includes a biannual inspection and cleaning in liquid CO2 to insure no degradation of the down coating. The price is more reasonable (but not cheap - smile) when this no-charge life-time service is factored into the garment price.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: RE "NEW Patagonia Encapsil ("Dry Down") Parka" on 02/27/2013 19:11:43 MST Print View

They are not making much fanfare about the "free" cleaning, it sounds more like a service contract

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: RE "NEW Patagonia Encapsil ("Dry Down") Parka" on 02/27/2013 23:43:00 MST Print View

So cleaning it degrades the down coating substantially?

Doest the same happen with DWR down?

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
RE "NEW Patagonia Encapsil ("Dry Down") Parka" on 02/28/2013 02:18:07 MST Print View

If it's really as waterproof as advertised, plus the extra fill power (1000), this is kind of exciting. It will be even more exciting when it's available to other makers. Would love to see a cottage company use this in a 9oz hooded sweater. Waterproof down skaha plus? And sleeping bags could no doubt benefit!

Sucks, 'cause I'm in the market to lighten my gear, and would hate to drop money on a down jacket, just to have this be available 5 years later... then again, it might be 5 years, before I can get permission to make any new purchases anyway.

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
FYI Down Fill Amount on 02/28/2013 07:24:14 MST Print View

They do NOT have that information.
This is from a Patagonia "Live Chat" individual on the online Patagonia Website.

Edited by KENLARSON on 02/28/2013 10:12:02 MST.

Bobby Ess
(persianpunisher) - F
Mr. nisley on 03/01/2013 11:07:41 MST Print View

Richard has done a few calculations about the fill weight of the down and has estimated an lclo...

~6-7, correct?

Truly though, from my extensive testing, it's the warmest jacket for its weight.

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Re: Mr. nisley on 03/01/2013 12:20:04 MST Print View

Babak,

I will put together a normal lab environment estimate based on reverse engineering the design shortly. I have more data to provide a better estimate this iteration.
What I really want to see is how your jacket clo value varies at different humidity levels compared to un-treated down. This set of tests would require clo value testing in an environment chamber. Can I measure your Patagonia Belay jacket clo value, in varying humidity levels, sometime in the nebulous future?

Edited by richard295 on 03/01/2013 16:28:21 MST.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Encapsil angst on 03/01/2013 16:16:50 MST Print View

What a wild thread. Just my takes.

If this stuff is as good as they say I am stoked, but will never buy one as the price point is nuts. But get it down to maybe a slight premium? OK, even a reasonable premium. I’ll bite.

If you buy a piece of gear retail, or even pro-deal that does not come with any NDA then you should be allowed to talk about it all you want.

To rip Ryan for not “talking” about beta gear just shows that you don’t know anything about the industry. But spend a decade or two backpacking and getting a reputation as someone that knows gear and really uses it and maybe you will get asked to be a beta tester too. Then look at the 4-page form you sign saying that you will keep your mouth and camera case shut. ;-)

Richard, I look forward to your findings so much. I really respect what you do for the community.

Personally I love the way that this new technology “seems” to be going. I have yet to touch any myself, just have seen the displays at the OR Show and follow the web hype like everybody else. But I am looking forward to it.

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Re: Mr. nisley on 03/02/2013 02:04:09 MST Print View

Babak,

The iclo is 6.48.

Edited by richard295 on 03/02/2013 02:04:49 MST.

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Re: Encapsil angst on 03/02/2013 02:05:34 MST Print View

Ray,

Thank you!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Encapsil angst on 03/02/2013 04:09:46 MST Print View

Maybe we'll find that the process involves force feeding Chinese geese a deadly silicone laced feed and there will be a consumer backlash as with goose liver pâté ;) Hords of protesters will assemble outside Patacucci Central and demand their humane treatment.

I wonder what this stuff is like for the Chinese workers environmentally? Oooh, the intrigue!

"My name is Bond, Yvonne Bond...." Q has secret down in his workshop now.

R S
(rps76) - F
Encapsil on 03/10/2013 11:46:55 MDT Print View

I find it interesting that Patagonia is only carrying this in the Boulder store and the NYC Meat Packing store. You know, because there are A LOT of hardcore outdoorsman who NEED this jacket living in NYC. #hipstersinpatagucci

Andrew Manies
(amanies) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Store locations on 03/10/2013 11:54:26 MDT Print View

They also apparently sold it in the Chamonix store (France) and in one of their Japanese locations (Rick would know for certain, since he posted photos). But yes, there was lots of chuckling at the San Francisco store about them selling it at the new, trendy NYC Meatpacking district store, considering that Patagonia's current mission is to discourage people from buying what they don't really intend to use for its specific purpose. None of the SF employees had even seen one of the parkas in person.

Brian Abram
(boglins)

Locale: The South
Loft? on 03/11/2013 17:05:38 MDT Print View

Babak,

Could you tell me the measured loft in the body of the Encapsil? I understand Richard thinks it has 8.7 ounces of 1000 fill, but I'm just curious how densely it's packed.

Edited by boglins on 03/11/2013 17:06:33 MDT.

Andrew Manies
(amanies) - M

Re: Loft on 03/11/2013 17:22:02 MDT Print View

Brian,

Babak can obviously reply as well, but for what it's worth my parka has about 1.24-1.5" of loft throughout. Certain parts of the parka, like the sleeves and neck, are stuffed more densely with down. The baffle height appears to be as little as 1/2" to 3/4", which was a bit of a surprise.

Hope you find this helpful.

Best,
A

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Loft on 03/11/2013 17:30:13 MDT Print View

Hi Andrew,

Is that single layer loft?

Cheers,

Stephen

Andrew Manies
(amanies) - M

Re: Loft on 03/11/2013 17:40:14 MDT Print View

Stephen,

Yes, sorry, that's single-layer loft. There are certain baffles more heavily filled with down, for instance by the left chest pocket. And then there are the less heavily filled baffles by the right chest and right hip, which appear to have about 1/2" of loft. Compared to other down jackets I have, the Patagonia is filled much more densely with down. As a result it's also very resilient to the touch, bouncing back to full loft almost immediately even after strong pressure is applied.

A