Forum Index » GEAR » Need input from UK members

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Need input from UK members on 01/07/2013 22:16:53 MST Print View

Been doing some research for a while on the MLD Trailstar. Lots of great reviews from UK blogs. But I noticed many comments about "using it in anger." Can someone translate this for me?

Juliana Cho
(choyoyo) - M
anger anger on 01/07/2013 22:32:41 MST Print View

I am not a Brit, but from what I gather, "used in anger" is often applied to things that are taken and tested to their fullest extent. In the case of the MLD trailstar, likely under adverse weather conditions (cold, windy and stormy?), as opposed to just a fair weather trial where the worthiness of the tarp does not come into play. Sort of a "tested in battle" situation, methinks.

Edited by choyoyo on 01/07/2013 22:34:19 MST.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
google it on 01/07/2013 22:33:22 MST Print View

its used for its intended purpose or used for real. as opposed just in testing situations.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Need input from UK members on 01/07/2013 23:25:45 MST Print View

Yes, real use as opposite to "I set it up in my backyard this afternoon"
Mind you you can get real weather in your backyard too, but the point of course is that when tired,cold, wet and exposed to the elements, things tend not to work the same as they do in the backyard.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
"used in anger" on 01/08/2013 00:44:45 MST Print View

As a Brit, I can confirm that Michael and Franco are correct :)

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Need input from UK members on 01/08/2013 02:03:23 MST Print View

Despite 10 plus nights in my Trailstar it has also yet to be used in anger. However, there are many,many reports from the UK of Trailstars being used in severe weather and performing very well.

John Topping
(JohnT) - MLife

Locale: Peak District
Trailstar translation on 01/08/2013 11:00:27 MST Print View

Nick,
I've used a Trailstar in conditions ranging from "didn't really need it" in the Alps to classic Cairngorm conditions, i.e. just above freezing, wet and windy. Did you have any particular queries about it or were you just in need of the "use in anger" translation?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Trailstar translation on 01/08/2013 11:26:33 MST Print View

John,

I just ordered a Trailstar. My intended use is for really windy weather. For winter storms high up, I have a Scarp 1 that meets the needs of the conditions I usually encounter. I use much lighter shelters most of the time (when I cannot sleep under the stars), currently a Hexamid.

I was just perplexed by the term. When I buy something I do a lot of research and I particularly like the feedback from UK users if a product is popular over there. They seem to be more focused on what a piece of gear can really do, instead of finding something that weighs a couple grams less.

I probably saw the term used by a dozen different people.

John Topping
(JohnT) - MLife

Locale: Peak District
Top choice on 01/08/2013 12:48:48 MST Print View

Nick,
I don't think you will regret your choice for that use. The design is excellent and the manufacturing top notch. The Trailstar is great for one or two people and is remarkably stable in strong winds.
Having said that, after a number of trips over the past couple of years in mixed UK weather with a party of 3, and more trips scheduled with the same team for this year, a Supermid is now on order...... The 9'x9' pyramid format is just so good for hanging out in bad weather if there is more than two people.....