Forum Index » GEAR » quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: al-Awlaki on 02/07/2013 20:38:01 MST Print View

"Also, remember the rest of the world is catching up on this technology..."

Wise words, HK, as I suspect we will be finding out in the not too distant future.
What goes around, comes around....

"How do we define terrorist?"

Whoever the President says is a terrorist. In Dubbya's case you were either with us or agin' us. Somehow, I think Obama's approach is slightly more nuanced, but it still gives me the creeps that all the decisions are carried out within one branch of the government, in contravention of our cherished system of checks and balances. What happens if, in the future, we get another Dubya in office, when our drone system has become increasingly sophisticated......? Gotta go, I'm getting the shivers again.

And there is the case of the hapless Jose Padilla. They didn't incinerate him with a Hellfire missile, but they tossed him in the brig without formal charges, access to a lawyer, an appearance in court, etc, thereby demolishing the most bedrock principle of our legal system, habeas corpus.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: al-Awlaki on 02/07/2013 20:43:40 MST Print View

"For my prize, can I get one of the foxier BPL girls wrapped in cuben fiber?"

Sorry, but Roger's an Australian. For your prize you get Franco Darioli wrapped up in silnylon....

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Re: Re: Re: al-Awlaki on 02/07/2013 20:51:02 MST Print View

.. Darioli wrapped up in silnylon....

Not really the answer I was looking for ...

Edited by hknewman on 02/07/2013 20:52:40 MST.

Jacob Avanzato
(jacobiat) - F
quadcopter aerial video on 02/11/2013 16:06:10 MST Print View

I'm not ashamed to admit that I like riding the bleeding edge of technology almost as much as I love backpacking.

Went backpacking/camping with some friends (definitely not ultralight this time)in Big Sur this past weekend. I brought along my new toy, a $35 Syma X1 quadcopter with a $50 808 #16 keychain camera attached to it.

It's not equipped with first person view gear(yet) so its not a 'drone' but I'm going to work on that over the next few months and should be able to get something setup that will allow me to see what the video camera sees out to about 500 yards and about 10 minutes of flight time and only add a few ounces to the entire setup. Right now with multiple extra batteries and a transmitter the whole thing weighs under a pound.

Here's a video I put together of the trip, be warned my choice of music might not be your cup of tea :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HRavgDv144&hd=1

I know that this kind of thing isn't for everyone, but the footage I'm going to be able to get makes it worth it for me. hopefully I wont get flamed too bad for this post :)

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming on 02/11/2013 16:24:12 MST Print View

Seriously Tom? "What happens if we get another Dubya in office?" The guy we have now has expanded the programs of Dubya that you find offensive a hundred fold. Why would that be OK?

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
"a hundred fold" on 02/11/2013 18:29:04 MST Print View

Really? How do you know? What you see is only a tiny tip of the iceberg. That's why they call it 'covert' ops in the first place. But it is fascinating to see the screeching hawks cooing like doves just looking for way to sink their claws into that guy you mentioned.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming on 02/11/2013 20:05:48 MST Print View

"Seriously Tom?"

Yes, Joe, very.

"The guy we have now has expanded the programs of Dubya that you find offensive a hundred fold. Why would that be OK?"

The things I found offensive about Dubya were not what you seem to think. You're absolutely right about Obama expanding the drone program a 100 fold, and I am against that as well, for a lot of reasons that probably belong in a separate thread.

No, what I found offensive about Dubya were his disastrous invasion of Iraq, the fallout of which is still unfolding, his needless antagonizing of Russia, his tax cuts in the midst of prosecuting 2 wars, the rendition program, torture, turning the NSA loose on the American citizenry, incarcerating Jose Padilla in a military prison without a lawyer or timely appearance in a court of law in violation of the bedrock principle of habeas corpus, to name a few of the most egregious things that happened on his watch. Sorry, I know you're from Texas and probably have a more positive opinion of Dubya, but I think he'll go down in history as the worst president this country this country has ever had.

Jeremy Platt
(jeremy089786) - F

Locale: Sydney
Beer drone on 05/06/2013 20:21:27 MDT Print View

I would say this will be the most important role for backpacking drones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=janur7RJwm0

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Beer drone on 05/06/2013 20:41:44 MDT Print View

Well now, the beer drone changes everything.

Talk about winning hearts and minds.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Beer drone on 05/06/2013 20:44:40 MDT Print View

"Talk about winning hearts and minds."

Not really. Due to the sequester, we can only afford to load the beer drone with Coors Light.....

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: beer falling from the sky on 05/06/2013 23:28:59 MDT Print View

That would be a tremendous waste of beer.

...Even Coors Light

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: beer falling from the sky on 05/07/2013 17:41:05 MDT Print View

"That would be a tremendous waste of beer.

...Even Coors Light"

When did they start calling Coors Light beer?

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Re: Re: beer falling from the sky on 05/07/2013 18:14:35 MDT Print View

I don't know when it started, but I have run across a few people who consider it beer. Granted they were tongueless, alcoholic NASCAR mechanics... but they called it beer.

Corporate sponsorships make you say thing you don't really mean.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: beer falling from the sky on 05/07/2013 20:38:32 MDT Print View

"I don't know when it started, but I have run across a few people who consider it beer. Granted they were tongueless, alcoholic NASCAR mechanics... but they called it beer."

Were they actually drinking it, or using it for brake fluid?

Jeremy Platt
(jeremy089786) - F

Locale: Sydney
Positives on 10/19/2013 08:06:05 MDT Print View

And here are some positive uses for drones on or near the trail:

Mapping the Matterhorn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs2C_wXQ_lM

Dropping you some medical equipment: http://www.medgadget.com/2013/08/aed-drone.html

A friend is also working on something similar to this: http://appgondrones.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/drones-in-the-field-uavs-as-a-tool-for-clearing-mines/

And finally, to a more neutral use, on a recent packrafting trip drones were buzzing overhead at a couple of the rapids filming me and the rafting group ahead of me (at 0.53 and 1.05):

http://youtu.be/_npm7WjrWBQ

for better or worse they are certainly coming soon!

Edited by jeremy089786 on 10/19/2013 08:08:06 MDT.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Coming soon: Tacocopter, Burrito Bomber, Fly-A-Pizza, sushi-by-drone, Domicopter on 10/19/2013 10:43:06 MDT Print View

Soon, you won't need to carry food on your trip, just a smart phone with Internet access.

Tacocopter, Flying Robots Deliver Tacos To Your Location. More from HuffPo. They claim to have Lobstercopter in the works for East Coast deliveries.

Hot on their heels (or blades) is Burrito Bomber, with a very similar business plan, and a "cheesy" video.

Berlin has Fly-A-Pizza.

London has sushi by drone, including a CNN video.

Domicopter delivers Domino's pizza by drone. But watch out for unintended consequences!

Any day now ...

-- Rex

Edited by Rex on 10/19/2013 10:44:44 MDT.

Trace Richardson
(tracedef) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
DJI Phantom on 10/19/2013 21:43:23 MDT Print View

I just raced in the 50th Annual San Diego to Ensenada Yacht race and one of the magazines was running a Phantom over the starting line ... then he was buzzing the pool and awards reception at the end ... got to take a look at his setup ... pretty sweet setup, especially with the monitor so he can see what he's filming ... he had some stabilization control setup on the camera as well ... you can see the monitor at the beginning of this video ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu0nQPVLKBQ

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Re: al-Awlaki on 10/19/2013 23:45:43 MDT Print View

> "Also, remember the rest of the world is catching up on this technology..."

You know, some (long) time ago I dimly remember a terrible uproar about another miltary development which was going to tear society apart if it was used. Well several of them, actually. It was claimed that they would so alter the nature of war that society would never recover. Peoples' lives, family structure, and our whole future would be destroyed.

What were these terrible developments? They include:

Steel swords
Plate armour
English long bow
Gunpowder
Machine gun
Nuclear bomb

War is simply a political strategy. How the war is fought is a minor almost irrelevant matter compared to the decision to go to war. With any technology in any theatre at any time, war means you are going to glory in killing the opposition while sweeping your own dead under the carpet - until after the war when all the pollies will line up for photo ops at the war memorial.

Cheers

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: al-Awlaki on 10/20/2013 08:10:12 MDT Print View

Chemical and biological weapons?

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: al-Awlaki on 10/20/2013 08:36:53 MDT Print View

"How the war is fought is a minor almost irrelevant matter compared to the decision to go to war."

Normally I more or less agree with a lot of things you say...but in relation to the above tell that to the Japanese after they were bombed with nuclear weapons.