Forum Index » GEAR » quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
drones on 01/08/2013 18:42:33 MST Print View

Another reason why my parents named me SAM.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming) on 01/08/2013 18:43:01 MST Print View

I actually bought one of these to spy on myself, since I can never remember what I'm doing. I inadvertently noticed it spying on me and it really ticked me off. I have some interesting video of me destroying it.....

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming) on 01/08/2013 18:56:10 MST Print View

If I see one of these things flying over me in a wilderness area and I happen to have a rifle, it's going down.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Surveilance Society - Hey Tom on 01/08/2013 18:56:30 MST Print View

"Did you know that if two people are talking to each other on iPhones they can see each other on the screen if things are set up properly? Now I think that is pretty cool.

I wonder if Big Brother can watch them."

-Nick Gatel

"Apple Inc.'s iPhone is collecting and storing location information even when location services are turned off, according to a test conducted by The Wall Street Journal."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704123204576283580249161342.html?mod=e2tw

"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. If you really need that kind of privacy, the reality is that search engines – including Google – do retain this information for some time and it's important, for example, that we are all subject in the United States to the Patriot Act and it is possible that all that information could be made available to the authorities."

-Eric Schmidt, executive chairman, Google

Edited by xnomanx on 01/08/2013 19:08:36 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Surveilance Society - Hey Tom on 01/08/2013 19:04:04 MST Print View

"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. If you really need that kind of privacy, the reality is that search engines – including Google – do retain this information for some time and it's important, for example, that we are all subject in the United States to the Patriot Act and it is possible that all that information could be made available to the authorities."

-Eric Schmidt, executive chairman, Google

------------------------------------------

The government will make use of these powers only insofar as they are essential for carrying out vitally necessary measures.... The separate existence of the federal states will not be done away.... The number of cases in which an internal necessity exists for having recourse to such law is in itself a limited one.

- Adolph Hitler

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Surveilance Society - Hey Tom on 01/08/2013 19:11:16 MST Print View

Why do I feel like that Hitler quote sounds a lot like the justification used for half the violations of privacy provided for by the Patriot Act?

I am surprised at how many people I talk to about these trends have no issues with any of them on the grounds that "they're not doing anything wrong", so it doesn't matter if someone's tracking them.

Combined with a healthy dose of fear and xenophobia instilled by the media, it seems to me that this is the exact mentality that lets police states happen.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Surveilance Society - Hey Tom on 01/08/2013 19:18:28 MST Print View

"Combined with a healthy dose of fear and xenophobia instilled by the media, it seems to me that this is the exact mentality that lets police states happen."

We're already in a police state. Have been for awhile now. Sadly, it has been done with the acquiescence of the general population. Hopefully trends will begin to reverse, but I'm doubting it.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming) on 01/08/2013 19:34:24 MST Print View

Oh Doug, weirdo.
Can't find that video on Youtube.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Surveilance Society - Hey Tom on 01/08/2013 19:39:10 MST Print View

"Combined with a healthy dose of fear and xenophobia instilled by the media, it seems to me that this is the exact mentality that lets police states happen."

We're already in a police state. Have been for awhile now. Sadly, it has been done with the acquiescence of the general population. Hopefully trends will begin to reverse, but I'm doubting it.

Yup. My feelings exactly.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Surveilance Society - Hey Tom on 01/08/2013 20:11:10 MST Print View

""Apple Inc.'s iPhone is collecting and storing location information even when location services are turned off, according to a test conducted by The Wall Street Journal."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704123204576283580249161342.html?mod=e2tw

One more reason I don't own a cell phone.

"-Eric Schmidt, executive chairman, Google""

Interesting that, as we post, Chairman Eric is hobnobbing with some of his fans over in North Korea. What a great test bed for some of his new software.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
"V" Mask Time on 01/08/2013 20:31:53 MST Print View

Time to get out the "V" masks and march on Washington, demanding MUCH more internet and "smart phone" privacy.

But back to the "Quadcopter" intrusion into our wilderness experience. I think this gadget is just the first crude step toward what will be smaller aerial vehicles with greater range, much more compact controls and better cameras streaming video back to the controller.

So get ready to NOT tan in the nude in your fenced and walled back yard. The pervert next door will be watching from 500 ft.

I will LMAO when the first civilian Quadcopter crashes into a police surveilance drone.

BRAVE NEW WORLD with "Newspeak" is coming. Jus' sayin'...

*** NOTE: By the way... I wuz gonna sell my rifle since "assault rifle" prices have skyrocketed but now I'm thinking of keeping it to shoot down non-military drones. A new sport is born - hunting with no season and no bag limits!

Edited by Danepacker on 01/13/2013 01:02:14 MST.

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Surveilance Society - Hey Tom on 01/08/2013 20:44:09 MST Print View

>> I am surprised at how many people I talk to about these trends have no issues with any of them

I feel like having issues with it makes me the paranoid one.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Surveilance Society on 01/08/2013 21:24:27 MST Print View

Don't forget all this is being stored somewhere, forever...

creepy.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming on 01/08/2013 21:41:39 MST Print View

Guys do me a favor.
When you post either wear some clothing or switch your web cams off.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming) on 01/08/2013 22:20:42 MST Print View

Every time I complain about Google, or the NSC monitoring all email and cell phone calls, or the drone war killing children in Pakistan, I'm accused of being a right-wing nut job. Probably am. Guess I'll go clean a gun, and hide behind religion.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming) on 01/08/2013 22:26:32 MST Print View

"Every time I complain about Google, or the NSC monitoring all email and cell phone calls, or the drone war killing children in Pakistan, I'm accused of being a right-wing nut job..."

Funny. Every time I do it I'm accused of being a left-wing nut job.

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Surveilance Society - Hey Tom on 01/09/2013 00:08:13 MST Print View

I feel like having issues with it makes me the paranoid one.

No no, the truly paranoid ones are very careful to appear quiescent in public. Should drones start dropping themselves in nearby pools and ponds, guess how the suspect list gets drawn up....

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
The Mammut quad copter vid on 01/09/2013 07:11:09 MST Print View

That Mammut quad copter vid is excellent for demonstration of the shots, and I am blown away at the altitude and temperature ranges it operates in...the big wall and snow-covered peak shots are amazing.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming) on 01/12/2013 19:10:52 MST Print View

Drone On

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming) on 01/12/2013 20:18:17 MST Print View

"Drone On"

I sure wish I had more faith in my fellow man than I do. Again, that queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach....