Forum Index » GEAR » quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming) on 01/07/2013 21:07:41 MST Print View

Here's a great video of some kids filming a moose while they're running a quadcopter in norway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6mupfi21Ys&feature=player_embedded

I suspect this will start to be adopted for backpacking. I could REALLY see this being used.

- scout up ahead of the trail to see what the terrain looks like

- fly around a lake/river/stream to find the best fishing spots.

- record AWESOME video of your trip

- find the best camping spots.

... etc.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming) on 01/07/2013 21:11:51 MST Print View

Would the no motorized vehicle rules apply? Hope so. I could see them being REALLY annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozcdcn9udv4

Edited by kthompson on 01/07/2013 21:15:58 MST.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Sayonara on 01/07/2013 21:24:51 MST Print View

I see a future with me taking a few of these out with some rocks if I hear them buzzing around MY wilderness...Rambo

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Sayonara on 01/07/2013 21:49:40 MST Print View

Folding Wrist Rocket
50 3/8" ball bearings

Don't care what the extra weight comes to.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming) on 01/07/2013 21:54:41 MST Print View

Which model can carry the most gear? :)

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Dragonfly on 01/07/2013 22:21:12 MST Print View

This recently funded project has a twist on the quadricopter concept with a silent robot dragonfly that can be outfitted with a camera package.

Dragonfly

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Great. on 01/07/2013 22:26:03 MST Print View

Great. Lets go harass some wildlife.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Dragonfly on 01/07/2013 22:36:10 MST Print View

That is cool. Hate that spy on people aspect though.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
haha on 01/07/2013 23:37:10 MST Print View

"I suspect this will start to be adopted for backpacking. I could REALLY see this being used."

I couldn't disagree more..

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
Re: Re: quadcopter/drones for backpacking (the future is coming) on 01/08/2013 00:15:24 MST Print View

I totally didn't think of that!

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Helicopter Shots on 01/08/2013 07:21:54 MST Print View

I don't see it as a "backpacking item", but the cool thing about these is how affordable they've made "helicopter shots" for video production. Imagine a movie...er, video that describes sections of the PCT and includes some sweeping overview shots -- and they won't involve a chopper ripping around the back country nor the expense.

These have been used heavily in outdoor action sports in the last year and some. Now with prices and tech making them more available, there are quad-copters under a hundred bucks with low-end, 30fps cameras built in. The cool part is, a 60fps GoPro is enough for really great video and those don't weigh much.

Mike R
(redpoint) - F

Locale: British Columbia
for climbing/mountaineering on 01/08/2013 09:04:48 MST Print View

I can't see carrying one of these backpacking, but for mountaineers launching an assault on a large, new mountain route, this would provide some great beta if pictures aren't/weren't available. It would be a great base camp tool. It would definitely remove some of the 'adventure' from the sport, but the same could be said about reading a detailed guide report or listening to the weather report.

James Castleberry
(Winterland76)
Mammut 150 Trango Tower on 01/08/2013 09:26:20 MST Print View

A good example of how they are being used to capture jaw-dropping mountain footage.
Mammut 150 Trango Tower

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Surveilance Society on 01/08/2013 09:59:39 MST Print View

I was on a midnight bike race a few months back, standing in the crowd and waiting for the starting horn. I start to detect a faint buzzing noise, turn, and find a dual rotor jet black police drone hovering about two meters over my head. A little black plastic bubble on the bottom was watching me...
Of course everyone gave it the finger.
I know they're discussing arming them with tear gas and rubber bullets for "crowd control".

Lovely.

I can't wait to buy mine and get out into the Anza Borrego backcountry on a trip with Nick Gatel and use it to chase down herds of bighorn for a blog photo, scout ahead for water sources in canyons, and get some exciting HD footage of us walking with really small packs on.

And I'll finally be able to see what the hell my neighbor's been building behind that garage....

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Better not send them out after the Glorious Twelfth on 01/08/2013 10:32:18 MST Print View

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorious_Twelfth

We already have drones here from the Border Patrol. A brave new world.

River runners could scout.

Climbers might need a new phrase to describe their climbs.

Instead of onsight, or redpoint etc. Drone'd?

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Surveilance Society on 01/08/2013 11:25:38 MST Print View

Agreed, Craig. My kneejerk reaction was distaste shading into repulsion.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Surveilance Society on 01/08/2013 11:41:58 MST Print View

"I can't wait to buy mine and get out into the Anza Borrego backcountry on a trip with Nick Gatel and use it to chase down herds of bighorn for a blog photo, scout ahead for water sources in canyons, and get some exciting HD footage of us walking with really small packs on."

Looks like we might need really big packs to carry that thing along with spare batteries. While were at it we could bring some iPhones, iPads, solar panels, steriPens, Sat phone, SPOTS, spare GoPro Hero, heart rate monitors, Suunto multi-function watches, and a solar radio.

:)

I have done many trips where a distant peak looks interesting and I decide to detour, even though there are no trails on my map. I enjoy trying to figure out a safe route and then getting to the top. These are not highly technical climbs, but just a sense of accomplishment and outdoors enjoyment.

But it looks like we are going to be living in a Brave New World soon.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Surveilance Society on 01/08/2013 17:37:54 MST Print View

"But it looks like we are going to be living in a Brave New World soon."

Why do I have this nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach? :(

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Surveilance Society - Hey Tom on 01/08/2013 18:16:53 MST Print View

Did you know that if two people are talking to each other on iPhones they can see each other on the screen if things are set up properly? Now I think that is pretty cool.

I wonder if Big Brother can watch them.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Surveilance Society - Hey Tom on 01/08/2013 18:36:29 MST Print View

"Did you know that if two people are talking to each other on iPhones they can see each other on the screen if things are set up properly? Now I think that is pretty cool.

I wonder if Big Brother can watch them."

Yeah, it's called Facetiming. And yeah, not only Big Brother, but anyone with the basic knowledge of stealing bits and bytes out of the air. Not that hard, actually.