Forum Index » GEAR » What's your favorite 3-season 1P tent?

Display Avatars Sort By:
diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
CS UL1 on 01/07/2013 21:04:12 MST Print View

Ill just say that Im happy with my BA CS UL1. Pitches easy, small packed size for something that includes poles, and very wind friendly.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
BA CS UL1 on 01/07/2013 21:32:37 MST Print View

the BA Copper Spur seems like an MSR Hubba with less weight, more space, a smaller packed size, and more room. I'm leaning towards that, although the Moment has me thinking as well.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M
Re: BA CS UL1 on 01/07/2013 21:45:54 MST Print View

The Moment is a really nice tent, but I found the Copper Spur UL1 a little nicer. I sold my Moment and kept the CS. I even use it in winter (see avatar photo from the UP of Michigan).

Edited by AndyF on 01/07/2013 21:46:46 MST.

Buck Nelson
(Colter) - MLife

Locale: Alaska
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo on 01/07/2013 22:23:53 MST Print View

Still my favorite.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Nemo Meta 1p on 01/07/2013 22:33:12 MST Print View

I know you have already ruled it out but I wanted to defend it a bit. I have owned one for 2years now and have been extremely pleased with it. It is basically a mid with a mesh side entrance from the vestibule. You can absolutely get a tight pitch. The key is guying out the ends and the back with the back guyed at an upward angle. There are better shelters out there but at a steeper price.

Nemo Meta 1p pitched to car.

Nemo Meta 1p when pitched properly

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
What's your favorite 3-season 1P tent? on 01/08/2013 00:32:52 MST Print View

>> The Fly Creek UL1 is for those no taller than about 5'9" and even then there is little side to side room. <<

I've used the Fly Creek UL1 for the last 3 years and I'm 6 ft 200 lbs. Normal set up takes 6 stakes (more would only be useful if very windy). It's also 42 inches wide at the door which allows me to store all my extras along the side of my sleep mat, so plenty of side to side room. Head room is tight but I only sleep in it.

I have a Notch on order so we will see if that replaces my Fly Creek... I like what I see (specs/description) but until I use it in a variety of conditions, I won't know which shelter I will prefer. Ironically, the only thing that concerns me about the Notch is the lack of side to side room, I think it will feel tight compared to the Fly Creek UL1. We'll see.

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
copper spur vs huppa on 01/08/2013 01:33:45 MST Print View

This is a good read:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60920

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
but since... on 01/08/2013 01:42:45 MST Print View

you are already carrying two poles, i'd skip all non-trekking pole tents if i were in your situation.

Lightheartgear tents looks very interesting for dual pole setups.

/Peter

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: ...but since you are 6' 2"... on 01/08/2013 04:26:06 MST Print View

The SoLong 6 is SO long, that hikers over 6’8” will fit comfortably in this tent.
Made in America - Exclusively.
Designed for the ‘big & tall’.

SoLong 6

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=42

*Weight 1 lb 14.6 oz.
*Awning fly with zipper on front.
*standard fly with zipper on back.
*45 inches of head room.
*100 inches long.
*55 inches wide in the center, tapers to 30 inches at each end.
*8 inch bathtub floor.
*Corners are boxed off with carbon fiber stays that are sewn into the corners so that *there is no possibility of the corners collapsing.
*Line Lock's on all 4 corners for precision tensioning of tent.
*One pocket.
*Two Ridge vents.
*All seams double stitched
*Requires 6 stakes.
*3-season, fully enclosed, roomy 1+ person.
*Hybrid single/double wall
*Uses a pair of trekking/hiking poles for setup (not included).
*Includes ridge pole, stuff sack and reflective tie-out cord.
*CORDURA® Brand 1.1 oz. silicone impregnated rip-stop nylon with 1200 mm hydrostatic head .
*Requires seam sealing prior to use.
*Small vestibule to store your boots.
*The lateral ridge pole connecting the inverted trekking poles allows the entire headroom height to be usable space and makes the tent very stable under wind loads.
*There is so much room in this tent that 2 ‘regular size’ people can share it.
*Optional adjustable aluminum tent poles are available (sold separately).
*Awning pole sold separately

Here is a link to a review of this tent by BPL lifetime member, "Jolly Green".

http://jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com/2011/09/new-cuben-shelter.html

Party On,

Newton

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
long on 01/08/2013 07:50:30 MST Print View

The tarptent rainbow can be pitched as a freestanding tent.
The zpacks hexamid long is wonderful.

hex

The mld duomid does better in the wind and can be pitched with less pegs.
You can get a screen door sew'd on by an outside company for less weight than the bug inner tent.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: What's your favorite 3-season 1P tent? on 01/08/2013 08:32:53 MST Print View

Hi Mike, I think you will find that the notch has plenty of width, especially in the middle. With the two doors, excellent length, and height, you get a very airy feeling as well. The sq footage that Henry posts seems a lot smaller than what the actual tent feels like. For example, it feels (and is) far more roomy than the MSR Hubba (I can't lay in that one without pushing out the sides of the tent...and this is without a sleeping bag - too small, too heavy, too narrow).

Would love to have you provide a direct comparison (with pics) when you receive the Notch. I am sure it would help out the OP.

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
BA Fly Creek 2 Platinum on 01/08/2013 10:31:31 MST Print View

I recently got the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 Platinum and am impressed. All in at 2 lbs with stakes and guy lines and while small for two, a lot of room for one. I am 6' tall, 250 lbs, use a Exped Syn 7 L/W pad and have plenty of room. Expensive but not overly so if you can get on sale. It is basically free standing but need to stake out to get more room at the feet and sides. I live where there are lots of bugs and rain so this was my transition out of tarping and am happy with it.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
So Far... on 01/08/2013 11:09:08 MST Print View

Thanks for the insight so far guys.

The BA Copper Spur is topping my list, but I haven't ruled out the Fly Creek. Gonna try to get to an REI and test it out if I can sometime. The way I sleep, I don't necessarily need it to match my body length. my bed at home leaves my feet hanging off the edge, and my pads are all torso length. I can just sleep with my knees bent, no problem.

But, the CS looks so comfy. Home away from home. I will keep you updated.

#2 on my list is still the Moment, or the Notch, gonna keep researching.

#3 is that Rainbow.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: So Far... on 01/08/2013 14:45:12 MST Print View

I have a Moment, and it's a nice tent. Sets up very quickly, handles heavy wind well, along with light snow. If I were buying something right now, though, I'd get a Notch. I like making my trekking poles dual use, and I would like to have the second door and vestibule.

Stevie Patrick
(XstevieX)

Locale: Adirondacks
ZPacks Hexamid Plus on 01/08/2013 15:06:00 MST Print View

I can't really say enough good things about my Hexamid. I got the Solo Plus with beak and opted that it be made with 0.74 oz cuben rather than the standard 0.51 oz, which may not have been necessary, but thought it was worth the 1.9 oz weight gain to add the durability and peace of mind. It weighs in at 14.2 ounces in its stuff sack with guy line. I'm about 6'1" and 200 lbs and it is a palace for me and my gear. It's also super easy to set up, and I love how the center pole placement is essentially between the front net and the vestibule so that I can utilize all of the vestibule's space, as well as inside of the tent. It's a lot of fun to have. And like it's been said many times on this board, Joe and Matt are a pleasure to talk with, super helpful, and also quick to respond. My custom Hexamid was built and ordered to me within a week. Here's a pic of me just playing with it in the park (with my ZPacks Zero in black.)

hexi

Edited by XstevieX on 01/08/2013 15:07:43 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Tarp Tent Stratosphire 1 on 01/08/2013 15:14:44 MST Print View

I have been using a Tarp Tent Stratosphire 1 for just under a year and really like it.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
Golite 2 on 01/08/2013 15:49:25 MST Print View

I currenlty like the Golite Shangri-La 2 for my solo hiking. With net just over 3 lbs, without, just over 1lb.

It is massive for 1 and will actually fit 2 if you have to. Ease of setup is also a big plus for me as well as protection from all sides. No need to worry about switching winds through the night.

But they have been discontinued as far as I know.

Ben

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
fav on 01/08/2013 15:59:18 MST Print View

my favorite is probably my GG "the one"

"the one" packs smaller, provides slightly better weather protection, and is only 1.5oz heavier than my hexamid with cuben groundsheet.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Golite 2 on 01/08/2013 16:01:57 MST Print View

Or a Shangri-la 1.
I find the Shangri-la 2 overkill for a solo ultralight trip. In fact, the GG Spinnshelter and MLD Patrol are even lighter choices of that style shelter.

But as stated, I am more of a fan of the flexibility of these kinds of shelters over the all-in-one style.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Cuben on 01/08/2013 16:46:50 MST Print View

If your cranking out the miles a hexamid is superlight. Also 1 pole setup is versatile if you decide to leave your trekking pole.