I know everyone loves talking about their favorite tents. Mind giving me some starting points?
I love my hammock, but I can't always use it- midwinter, it's no good and in some geographic areas like the southwest and South America, I'll need a tent. So, I'm starting to look around!
Here's what I want:
- Bugproof, Rainproof. Stormproof, too.
- It has to vent- I want to use this in absolutely hot climates.
- Low weight. I'll gladly sacrifice vestibule space, shoulder space, etc.
- FAST Setup. Faster, the better. I don't want to spend a lot of time in camp.
- I'd love to use hiking poles as support, since I'm already carrying them.
I'm not afraid of bivy bags, but I don't know how well they breathe. A nice dome of bug netting seems to vent much, much better to me. I've tried my friend's $400 Gore-Tex bivy and was not looking forward to a good nights' sleep in it.
I know a 3-season tent isn't great in midwinter, but it's fine enough for me in my experience.
Also, sorry- no MYOG. Much respect for the crafters, but I leave my stuff to the experts.