Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trip Report: Camel's Hump

Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.wordpress.com
Trip Report: Camel's Hump on 01/06/2013 21:35:13 MST Print View

Hello All,

Trip went great. Six of us took the Long Trail up from Duxbury Road and went 1.6 miles south on the Long Trail to the shelter there. The shelter was beautiful- thank you Green Mountain Club, you'll be getting a donation soon.

It took us four hours to go 1.6 miles. We were breaking trail in 2-4 feet of fresh powder, it was pretty arduous but fun. The steepest sections were snow on top of ice, so it often felt like we took many steps backwards and few forwards.

We did a day hike on our second day, and made it near the treeline. Our original plan of passing over the summit was quickly abandoned, since it was snowing both days and breaking trail was pretty taxing. We had a great time at the shelter and the challenge of the trails was a real treat regardless.

We were all warm, comfortable, and safe thanks to careful planning and equipment selection. However, after the trip, we saw a car nearly overturned in a ditch on Camel's Hump Road, and then we accidentally fell into the same ditch farther down the road while avoiding a pickup truck. Luckily, some true VT locals with a lifted 4-runner, a winch, and an unmitigated will to help us got us out in fifteen minutes. Only in VT....

If anyone wants more details on sleep setups, carried food, water sources, etc. Just ask!

Be careful on those roads during winter. Stay in the middle!

-MaxCamel's Hump

Edited by mdilthey on 01/06/2013 21:36:50 MST.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Trip Report: Camel's Hump on 01/06/2013 21:50:58 MST Print View

well if it is some consolation my LT map has it 2.8mi from the road to Bamforth Shelter including the .2 side path from the LT to the shelter. and 3.6mi from there to the summit with fairly steady climbing that some good hikers called a steady slog this summer (it about killed my shin going down it Nobo)

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.wordpress.com
Re: Summit on 01/06/2013 23:05:40 MST Print View

You can bet i'll be back to conquer the summit this summer. For now, i'm two days off from foot surgery....