Help Needed in finding a breathable nylon
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nicholas Jensen
(attack5) - F

Locale: Murderapolis
Help Needed in finding a breathable nylon on 04/05/2007 08:42:28 MDT Print View

Hello,
My first post. WOO-HOO!!
I'm in the army and as many know, the favorite piece of issued gear is the poncho liner or "woobie", it's just a blanket but holds a near and dear spot in my heart. Kifaru just came out with their own woobie and I want to make one similar. I am planning on using black momentum for one side and climashield combat for insulation. But I need help in finding a breathable nylon in dark green, olive drab, or foliage green (armys new color). I have searched high and low including all the links that many of you have posted to no avail.

Any and all help is appreciated!! Thanks.

Edited by attack5 on 04/05/2007 11:36:35 MDT.

Jan Rezac
(zkoumal) - MLife

Locale: Prague, CZ
Momentum in khaki or Silk on 04/05/2007 15:59:45 MDT Print View

Momentum is now available from thru-hiker.com in several colors, including khaki. That might be the best solution in color you are looking for.
If the blanket will be treated with care, light silk dyed exactly to meet your preferences would be an option.

Clay Moore
(cwm_nm) - F

Locale: On the Rio Grande
Re: Help Needed in finding a breathable nylon on 04/07/2007 11:07:58 MDT Print View

I've also searched everywhere for a breathable nylon with out any kind of DWR finish on it, and I havent found it either. If you do please post where you find it. I think momentum has DWR on it

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Breathable nylon source on 04/07/2007 11:35:48 MDT Print View

Have you tried The RainShed?

Here is one of their fabrics that may suit your purposes:

Ultra Flare Nylon Ripstop
A lightweight 40 denier ripstop
You can make a jacket of this windbreak fabric, then carry it in your pocket while hiking.
Suggested needles: Microtex 70/10
Price/yd $6.00
Width 60"
Weight/sq yd 1.75 oz
Machine wash warm on the gentle cycle. Partially machine dry low.
Colors change. Call.

From their home page, select 'Fabrics' then 'Uncoated Nylons and Polyesters'.

Edited by Lancem on 04/07/2007 11:38:53 MDT.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Help Needed in finding a breathable nylon on 04/07/2007 12:45:03 MDT Print View

I think that washing fabrics that have DWR on them in regular detergents actually washes the DWR out of the fabric.