Forum Index » GEAR » Dumb question about inflating X-therm

Display Avatars Sort By:
christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Dumb question about inflating X-therm on 01/03/2013 16:02:47 MST Print View

I finally purchased a neo air Xtherm, and the inflator bag is killing me. After perhaps 75 pumps, I gave up and blew it up normally.
Do I have to use the inflator bag? Will the moisture from my lungs hurt the mattress like with the BA or ExPeds?

Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com
Should be much faster on 01/03/2013 16:11:18 MST Print View

I used the TR Packliner/Inflator (think that is what you're talking about) and it only took me a half dozen or so to fill it. Breathing into the mat won't ruin it but it will cause the hot air to shrink once it cools and leave your mat partially deflated...and you'll need to blow it up some more. Over the long term if you don't allow the mat to dry inside it may get a little funky - but leave the valve open and store it flat and you should be ok.

Bill Law
(williamlaw) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Dumb question about inflating X-therm on 01/03/2013 16:25:21 MST Print View

I hope the answer to your questions is "no," as I too gave up on using the stuff sack "inflator." I would hate for my x-therm to be harmed as a result.

Seems like people have had better luck with the "Instaflator" and I was going to try one of those. I'm not sure why it would work so much better, aside from the much larger size. But worth a try.

Yes 1000
(mamamia) - F
Instaflator has a flaw on 01/03/2013 16:31:18 MST Print View

Instaflator is hit or miss, mine just popped opened in the seam after 2 usages. Camptek microburst which is slow but does a okay job an after 3-5 minutes you can top off the air with couple of breaths.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Dumb question about inflating X-therm on 01/03/2013 16:32:05 MST Print View

Chris this was discussed last summer and a simple solution found. No doubt about it, the included Xtherm stuff sack/inflator is a big FAIL. The cheap UL fix is to pull the valve out the sack from the inside. This is non-destructive and you can put it back later if you change your mind. Find a ~40L plastic garbage bag with drawcord to provide some stiffness for filling in a breeze. Duct tape a corner for reinforcement and start cutting across the corner, making a hole slightly larger with each cut until you can fit the valve snugly. Once the valve is fitted, attach to the Xtherm, inflate the bag and roll it up to push air into the Xtherm. Only takes a few bags for the Large.

Edited by rmjapan on 01/03/2013 16:32:49 MST.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Camptek Microburst on 01/03/2013 16:42:00 MST Print View

When I bought my xtherm I also splurged and bought a Camptek microburst. My justification is not getting moisture into the pad but the real reason is that I HATE blowing up an airmat at the end of a long day. I have been called a namby pamby by one hiker but I think it was more out of jealousy than it was based in fact. :)

Edited by gg-man on 01/03/2013 16:44:07 MST.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Locale: NW Montana
Busted Instaflator on 01/03/2013 17:14:09 MST Print View

The main get from the Instaflator is not the bag itself, but the valve. It comes apart and can be attached to any bag, so you can put it in the corner of a pack liner or just about any kind of bag you'd like. I haven't measured it in a while, but I think my Instaflator valve, trimmed down to just the Therm-a-Rest fitting, weighs about half an ounce. I also cut my bag in half bringing the total kit to just a hair over an ounce. The leftovers can later be substituted in if my current bag pops.

For what it's worth, my Instaflator has about 30-40 fills on it with no problems.

christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
Thanks guys on 01/03/2013 17:29:16 MST Print View

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'll try that garbage bag trick.

Phillip Damiano
(Phillipsart) - M

Locale: Australia
Re: Instaflator has a flaw on 01/03/2013 19:56:26 MST Print View

Instaflator has been working great for me. Never had any problems.

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: Dumb question about inflating X-therm on 01/04/2013 20:34:14 MST Print View

One more vote for the microburst. Attach it, do some chores for a few minutes, then top off as needed with you own breath.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Camptek Microburst on 01/04/2013 20:37:48 MST Print View

+2
Plus you can use the fan to help start a fire.