Forum Index » Gear Deals » Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tyler Miller
(FightingTheTide) - F - M

Locale: Southeast
Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork on 01/01/2013 18:43:46 MST Print View

On sale at REI - http://www.rei.com/product/830477/black-diamond-alpine-carbon-cork-trekking-poles-pair

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork on 01/01/2013 19:38:11 MST Print View

Good deal. My birthday is Tues if anyone is wondering what to get me....

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W (Near enough)
"Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork" on 01/01/2013 20:49:03 MST Print View

These are the old model, with the plastic flick-lock fasteners. REI have been closing them out at 30% off for a couple of months now. I compared them with the new model that has the 'flick-lock pro' and a few minor design tweaks. I decided the latter was worth paying the extra for. I've been using the new model extensively for snowshoeing the last few weeks and they seem rock solid. Either way, while the BD Alpine Carbon Corks aren't UL, they are really well built and should last many seasons. Unlike my GG LT4s that snapped on my first outing last September :-(

J P
(jpovs) - F - M

Locale: North Shore
Re: Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork on 01/01/2013 21:10:09 MST Print View

-

Edited by jpovs on 06/27/2014 22:33:53 MDT.

Tyler Miller

Good insight on 01/02/2013 06:36:46 MST Print View

These would be my first pair of trekking poles. I was looking at the BD Trail Ergo Cork's, but this sale pushed me over the edge. I figured it was because a new model was coming in, but I'm only hiking once a month at the most (getting back into it slowly) so I figure these would be great. Can anyone talk me out of them? I can't really spend much more than what these are on sale for.

Jim Leonard
(mxracer33x) - F

Locale: West Coast
Other options? on 01/02/2013 14:26:34 MST Print View

I bought a set of aluminum Komperdell Titenal 2 for $55 and they weigh 16oz. So these dont seem all that. Id shop around.

Tyler Miller

Re: Other options? on 01/02/2013 14:40:25 MST Print View

I can't find a pair of those online. Can you post a link? I'm looking for a set that has an ergonomic (angled) cork grip, powerlocks (no twist locks), and at least 130 cm. The BD Alpine Cork poles seemed to be the best deal that fit what I need (with this sale).

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Other options? on 01/02/2013 14:59:59 MST Print View

Tyler, this is where Jim got his poles for $55 but the sale was almost a year ago.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork on 01/02/2013 17:12:17 MST Print View

@Ken,

You are welcome to use the pair I have any time you feel you might need them!!

Here is my own review of these hiking poles.

I gotta say, the more I use them the more that I am loving them.

Like others, when it comes time to setup your shelter at night, the last thing you want is a hiking pole that uses a twist-to-lock mechanism, that decides not to lock. Cannot begin to express how many times I have almost beaten my poles that use a twist-to-lock against a tree in utter frustration. The locking mechanism that BD is using is awesome!

Heavier? Oh yeah.
Things I do not like about them? Yep.
Will I keep using them? Without any hesitation at all.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
Cheaper MYOG Option on 01/02/2013 23:59:40 MST Print View

For those who like to save a few bucks and like to customize, you may want to check out this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=50320

I made a pair with success and am working on another for my brother.
Very durable and much more comfortable than I was expecting for such a cheap pole.