Forum Index » GEAR » Suluk46 beer pot stove users feedback needed

Display Avatars Sort By:
mik matra
(mikmik)

Locale: Allways on the move
Suluk46 beer pot stove users feedback needed on 01/01/2013 04:58:09 MST Print View

Hi guys,

I've searched BPL for reviews of this product but can't find any info. Just wondering if anyone has this and if you could just say a couple words of your experience.

I am really attracted to the UL/SUL lightweightness. It would suit our need for just water boiling on our less than 1 week hikes into 3 season weather.

Any info is much appreciated.

Mik.

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Re: Suluk46 beer pot stove users feedback needed on 01/01/2013 15:15:33 MST Print View

I don't have one personally, but a friend of mine does and he says he likes it just fine. I do have Steve's small winsdcreen, which I believe is just a hair bigger and has different shaped holes punched out along the bottom than the one that is on his T.E.A system. Anyway, mine has held up well over numerous burns as well as flexing to store inside a can. The pot on the T.E.A. system is simply a Foster's can with ridges in it, so that should speak for itself. What is interesting to me about this set-up is the pot stand, which is basically a smaller version of the windscreen and is sized to fit into the inside indention of the bottom of the beer can pot.

If durability is a concern, I would suggest you to check out the Esbit cook system at LiteTrail. It is slightly more expensive, and 1.3 oz heavier, but it is an actual titanium cook pot and stand, so it is much more durable. And at only 2.9 oz for everything, it still easily falls in the "UL" range, and depending on the rest of your kit, can still fall in the "SUL" range.

mik matra
(mikmik)

Re: Re: Suluk46 beer pot stove users feedback needed on 01/01/2013 18:07:26 MST Print View

Thanks for posting the Lite Trail option!! Okay that it's nearly twice the weight and price but the durability is a big plus. Though I am told that the beer alu cans that have the ribbing in them are much tougher than a non ribbed say coke can I still think the Ti gear would be more durable. Though the one thing of concern is that they are saying that they are using the thinnest Ti sheeting available to make their cookpot kit. One BIG plus though is that everythiong is there even the cuben fibre carry case.

Cheers :)

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Re: Re: Re: Suluk46 beer pot stove users feedback needed on 01/01/2013 18:20:52 MST Print View

As far as the LiteTrail cook kit, after shipping the T.E.A. system to you, the difference is only $22, so that is not to bad.

As far as the weight, the lid on the pot is 0.6 oz, simply use a piece of foil instead (which doesn't even really show up on a scale) and the total weight then becomes 2.3 oz. Still more than the T.E.A. system, but only by 0.7 oz, and again, there is the durability issue to consider.

Jhaura does source a thinner titanium for his cook pots than some of the others, but it is still very, very, very durable (especially when compared to a beer can pot). I have a number of other ti pots/mugs (including MLD, Snow Peak, Evernew and even another Toaks, but a different thickness) and I would say it is just as tough, especially since the 500 ml pot is so small. Really though, I wouldn't worry about the thickness, unless you are very hard/rough on your gear, which if this is the case, then you definitely don't need the T.E.A. system...

mik matra
(mikmik)

being rough on gear and the lid on 01/01/2013 18:31:06 MST Print View

I look after my gear really well and am noticing that some of the UL options are all about finikier materials which need more handling care. My main concern is a slip on the trail, a bump into a rock as you are scaling upward or loosing balance on a step and catching yourself on a tree where you may bump or crush or even land on your back pack and it's game over for some of the equipment like a beer pot. I guess it comes down to packing more protectively then.

Thanks again for posting the LitTrail cook kit as I am probably leaning more towards that for durability but isn't it funny how the UL blood in me still can't quite let got of the Suluk46 set up either.....Birthday is coming up, might as well get bothe eh. :)

Replacing the lid for the Ti system is a good option!!

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
T.E.A. or LiteTrail? on 01/01/2013 18:46:09 MST Print View

Hi there, I can sympathize with your agony over going lighter or a little tougher. My solution was to buy both! I've also made videos demonstrating both and how I've used them.

URL for LiteTrail video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWmkw2oCqdI

URl for TEA video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3-iacTXRgw

I've used both backpacking and if durability is not an issue, but water volume is, I'd say go with the TEA system. It will allow you to boil more at once and get you back on the trail quicker. However, if volume of water is not a concern (and 500ml is enough for my food needs) the LiteTrail system might be better. If time is not a concern you could always, boil water for food and blow out the esbit, then re-light it for a hot drink.

I guess it depends on your budget, style, and preferences. Ultimately its a very personal choice and one you'll have to make for yourself. Let us know what you choose and how you like it.

Thanks,
James

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Both! on 01/01/2013 18:57:17 MST Print View

I am in the same boat as you, I am very careful with all of my gear (whether it be more fragile or not), so my real concerns would be an accident, whether that is as you say, a slip on the trail (which I have done... ) or that dreaded wrong step at camp... But, this is the chance that we do have to consider and take...

I love my DIY Esbit set-up that I told you about in another thread, but despite that I wold still like to also have one of the T.E.A. systems, and truth be told, I almost picked up a GVP Caldera Keg from Trail Designs last night... So I say sure, if you can afford it get both and take each on trips and find out which you like better. And it is always fun to tinker with these at home too...

But, which one to get first... :)

mik matra
(mikmik)

got the kit on 01/12/2013 20:33:12 MST Print View

okay I got the kit but am having trouble getting water to boil.

I have filled the candle cup stove with fuel and that bought it to the bubbles stage but not boiling. I then tired a solid fuel and same result. I saw a youtube vid of a guy who punched extra holes in the ti sheet that makes up the stand as there is only holes on the top side. Have to try this I think first. My kit out of the packaging weighs in at 43.5g and am planning on making a neoprene holder for it so I can pick it up when water has boiled also doubling as an insulator.

Not really impressed with the candle cup stove though. Might be up for some modifications.

mik matra
(mikmik)

put it this way..... on 01/12/2013 21:07:55 MST Print View

.....the Suluk46 website say you can boil 2 cups of water on 1/2 ounce of alcohol....BS. Or 1/2 ounce of Esbit.....that's BS as well!! I have used more than twice those amounts and it is not boiling. Not boiling but with modifications coming IT WILL.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: put it this way..... on 01/12/2013 22:28:29 MST Print View

".....the Suluk46 website say you can boil 2 cups of water on 1/2 ounce of alcohol....BS. Or 1/2 ounce of Esbit.....that's BS as well!! I have used more than twice those amounts and it is not boiling."

That suggests one possibility that the distance from the burner to the pot bottom is wrong. I've never used this stove system before, but in the stove systems that have the right distance, that amount of fuel boils that amount of water. The distance is the one factor common to both fuel types. If it worked wrong on only alcohol, then we might suspect the alcohol type.

Another possibility is that the airflow is all wrong. If there is insufficient air flow going in at the bottom, or if there is insufficient air flow going out at the top, then this might explain things.

--B.G.--

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: put it this way..... on 01/12/2013 22:44:22 MST Print View

Mik, how about trying a little experiment?

For either the alcohol tealight cup or the Esbit stand, how about jacking them up about a half inch higher? Just see if that makes any difference to your boiling time.

Maybe use a half inch spacer of wood. I always get better alcohol and Esbit burner action when the burner is just a bit off the ground level, and just a bit insulated from ground coldness.

Then there is one tiny factor. Actually, I don't think it will make much difference, but it is easy to try. See if the air holes at the bottom of the pot support line up with the air holes at the bottom of the wind screen.

Personally, I would be more tempted to invert the pot support so that the big holes are at the bottom, but that is just me.

--B.G.--

mik matra
(mikmik)

I think it's going to be the air flow on 01/13/2013 00:05:32 MST Print View

The pot stand has holes only on the top side. I think it really needs holes on the bottom as well to promote the airflow. A bloke posted this mod on youtube after saying that he also could not get his 2 cups of water to boil.

It's definitelly not the insulation from the ground. I am in Oz and it's a stinking hot summer here right now. Despite that I am inside the house that is airconditioned to 25 degrees O can see that the airflow improvement will be the first thing undertaken....stay tuned :)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: I think it's going to be the air flow on 01/13/2013 00:44:32 MST Print View

OK. I agree, the pot stand air holes seem like a good place to attack. If you have insufficient air flow to the fuel, then that will be a problem. If you punch too many holes in the pot stand, it could become too weak to support the can of water. Also, because of some of the peculiarities of air flow, a few large holes will do better than a lot of small holes. If you decide to try the half-inch spacer, then you might use the tealight cup inverted.

--B.G.--