BPL vs spending on 01/07/2013 10:23:57 MST Print View

" The more you read on BPL, the less you'll spend. Enjoy the experience."

Uuuhhmm, I think you mean: "the more you read on BPL, the more you will spend"

Lol

Steve A. Clarke
(petuni) - MLife

Locale: Quispamsis
lol on 01/08/2013 08:31:46 MST Print View

lol I agree, the more you read on bpl, the more you spend!!

Bryan A
(canyoneeringadv)
just a thought on 01/30/2013 11:08:57 MST Print View

everyone has great advice on how to get your base weight less and when I read most of the posts a common theme is they keeping buying a new pack or a new sleeping bag every year because they realize they can go smaller and lighter.

I have a thought that works for me. I attempt to buy the best item I can find for each of the different pieces of gear I am working on. I know that seems daunting some times when you see what a 30 degree down quilt costs that weighs under a pound though it will be less than buying cheaper sleeping bags only to buy another one the following year.

If you buy what you believe the best gear for each of the categories that you will use for a 8 lb base weight you will eventually get there for a lot less money than those that get their by buying 4 packs, three sleeping bags, and so.

If you buy the stuff that you really want you will use it for years and I find that the best way to be able to keep working on different aspects of my kit to get it lighter.

One last thing Osprey Hornet 46 is at REI for packs and it is 24 oz.

Tyler Miller
(FightingTheTide) - F - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: just a thought on 01/30/2013 15:51:22 MST Print View

Thanks for your thoughts Bryan. I think you are spot on with what you said. However, my goal isn't to get an 8 lb base weight. As nice as that would be, it would take me a few years before I could afford the best, lightest gear in each category. I think the biggest factor controlling this is how much money someone can put down at the time. Sure, if you can wait, it's worth saving...but in my situation it really would take a few years to save the money for all of that gear. I'm happy to get down to a 12 or 13 lb. base weight.

But like I said, you are exactly right in terms of getting the most bang for your buck.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Update:
-Bought a scale - 11 lbs. max, 1/10 oz. measurement.
-Shelter in progress
-Bivy complete! 8 oz.
-Heading down to my hometown (Wilmington, NC) in the coming weeks to take a short road trip to Southport, NC where I'll visit Matthew at Elemental Horizons to try on my pack...probably the Kalais.
-Waiting on my Enlightened Equipment 20* long/regular RevelationX to arrive (hopefully in the next week or two)
-Marmot wind jacket on it's way from STP for cheap! Specs say 5 oz.
-Got my trail shoes for cheap! Montrail Masochists (and Smartwoold PhD running socks)
-Bought an Exped Synmat UL 7 on the gear swap (and schnozzel pump bag from REI)
-JC Penny Down Puffy acquired! $15 and 10 oz!
-Bought an Optimus Crux Terra HE Weekend kit. I'll get a solo pot in the near future.

Next:
-Sawyer squeeze, once REI gives me my dividend check
-Platypus bladders (or Evernew)
-other small odds and ends

This isn't exhaustive. Once everything is acquired, I'll do a final weigh in.