Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » New to MRE's

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: MRE on 01/01/2013 16:06:36 MST Print View

Darn. They could save a lot of weight by just cutting the ingredients down to three-syllable words.

--B.G.--

Gregory Petliski
(gregpphoto) - F
re on 01/01/2013 22:16:47 MST Print View

Yeah but most of those ingredients are "less than 2% of" so they probably dont weigh that much :)

If thats indeed the case, then Im pretty bummed. I dont understand why theyd print it all under "1200 calories" but also print each of the calories of the pop tart, cookie, etc, on their individual packages. A phone call tomorrow will hopefully sort it out for sure. I understand they are emergency rations, per se, but even in an emergency, 1200 calories a day is not very substantial. The military style MREs have to contain way more calories right?

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
MRE's on 01/02/2013 06:57:40 MST Print View

"If thats indeed the case, then Im pretty bummed. I dont understand why theyd print it all under "1200 calories" but also print each of the calories of the pop tart, cookie, etc, on their individual packages. A phone call tomorrow will hopefully sort it out for sure. I understand they are emergency rations, per se, but even in an emergency, 1200 calories a day is not very substantial. The military style MREs have to contain way more calories right?"

If you are in a defensive position, ie, sitting still and simply manning an emplacement, sleeping, reading, etc...1200C is about right for this sedentary activity. Hiking will burn upwards of 3-5 times more, depending on the nature of the hike...3500-5500C. Canoing/kayaking all day (12hrs) will burn about 3500-4500C/day. Climbing will use somewhat more, flatland hiking over well groomed trails, somewhat less.

The individual labelling lets a military person pick and choose high density foods. 300C for a 2.5oz chicolate chip cookie is not too bad. After deducting all the add- on's (crackers, cookies, cheese-whiz, etc) I believe you will find the entrie is about 60-70C/oz. I did this about 25years ago and haven't checked it recently. Food hasn't really changed in the past few thousand years...water weight still has no calories.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: MRE's on 01/02/2013 07:37:28 MST Print View

"If you are in a defensive position, ie, sitting still and simply manning an emplacement, sleeping, reading, etc...1200C is about right for this sedentary activity"

For a physically fit, under 35 year-old, the "just lying on the couch with the remote" number is somewhere between 2000 an 2400 calories per day.

Green Thumb
(greenthumb)
Two a day on 01/02/2013 16:48:32 MST Print View

That's why two a day is the usual issue for MRE in the field.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
MRE or HDR? on 01/12/2013 05:10:52 MST Print View

Greg,

You may have a civilian MRE or a Humanitarian Daily Ration (HDR) since you say it came from a Hurricane Sandy relief effort. HDRs conatin 2200 total calories and are meant to be a full day's worth of calories, etc for an average person. Conversely, military issue MREs are usually only one meal of about 1200-1500 total calories, so a military person would be issued at least 3 MREs per day.

Also, to answer your question, if I'm not training for something, then my average caloric intake per day would be about 1200 or so. So depending on the age, height, weight, activity level etc of the person, 1200 is not that low. Remember, we Americans are the proud owners of the most obese population per capita on earth precisely because our sense of portion control and realistic approach to how much food, or calories, we actually need to eat daily to support the physiology of our body's systems and functions are completely skewed towards a more is better mentality.

BL: chose the food you want to eat and are willing to carry.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Re: MRE's on 01/12/2013 06:41:09 MST Print View

2000-2400C/day sounds like a lot. I gain weight at 2000C per day except when I am out paddling or camping. I usually get by on about 1100C/day just sitting around the house. But, I agree this number varies wildly. I think that WWII germany showed that you could not starve someone at 2500C/day in a year doing hard labour, on average. They did some really terrible things to people...that was one of them. 1200C/day is bare subsistance level doing nothing but being a couch potatoe. MRE's were designed for bare subsistance. Leave it to the military to make sure you starve a little. It actually heightens awareness...

As far as lightweight food goes, you can get stuff that is very calorie dense. Parified butter or ghee is about 240-25C/oz. Olive oil is about the same. But, it is hard to eat large amounts of fats per day. I usually limit this to an ounce or two mixed in with other stuff. Fats/oils are good at calorie density and fat soluable vitamins.

Macedamia nuts, almonds, peanut butter rate close seconds for calories per ounce.

Pemmican is a mix of stuff and makes a good trail food at about 120C/oz. Lots of dehydrated foods are around 110-125C/oz. Dried sausage, salami, dried hot dogs (done in a microwave) supply lots of protiens, vitamins and other nutrients besides just fats and oils.

Good semi-sweet chocolate bars, honey, etc are down on calories a bit but still have lots of other nutrients that are hard to get otherwise. I avoid most sugars but carry some hard candy for quick energy.

Rice, pasta of any kind, flours (bisquick) etc are good for calories at around 100-110. Some protiens and other nutrients.

Cocoa mixes (skim milk, chocolate, sugars) are good. Fats and sugars. some other nutrients.

Generally, I pack about 130C/oz in about 18oz or about 2300-2400C/day. I have plenty of reserve, so I don't worry about loss of weight, I am rarely hungry but have been if I am out for a month or so.

Along with salt (a mix of lite salt and regular salt,) spices, and a few packets of gravy mixes/sauce mixes, this adds up to about 1.2pounds per day. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. I eat late, usually close to bed time. This keeps me a bit warmer at night.